SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 20-02-24, 10:46 AM   #11251
SV650rules
Mega Poster

Default Re: Gripe of the day - What is yours?

My gripe is that I normally buy my batteries from Tayna, but a few years ago when i needed a new Yuasa YT12A-BS AGM battery for my AL7. Tayna were out of stock and could not give me a date when new stock would arrive ( probably covid affecting the supply chain ). I found the right battery at MDS and ordered one ( never used MDS before, but Tayna are always great to deal with and very quick delivery ), when it arrived there was acid in packaging acid on the battery. I emailed a photo to MDS and a guy rang me back saying that they bulk fill the batteries and that was just some splashing ( they obviously do not wipe batteries down before shipping ) and if I had problems with the battery they would replace it. Now less than 3 years later the battery was not able to achieve 'green' on my smart charger, so I measured battery voltage at 10.5 volts.... Every one of the Yuasa batteries I have ever had on bikes and cars has lasted at least 5 years, and I replace batteries at 5 years as a rule. Now because the guy phoned me back rather than email I have no record of our conversation about replacing the battery which only get 12 months warranty anyway... I feel I have been stiffed by MDS...

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain

Last edited by SV650rules; 20-02-24 at 10:48 AM.
SV650rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-24, 10:44 PM   #11252
Ruffy

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV650rules View Post
My gripe is that I normally buy my batteries from Tayna, but a few years ago when i needed a new Yuasa YT12A-BS AGM battery for my AL7. Tayna were out of stock and could not give me a date when new stock would arrive ( probably covid affecting the supply chain ). I found the right battery at MDS and ordered one ( never used MDS before, but Tayna are always great to deal with and very quick delivery ), when it arrived there was acid in packaging acid on the battery. I emailed a photo to MDS and a guy rang me back saying that they bulk fill the batteries and that was just some splashing ( they obviously do not wipe batteries down before shipping ) and if I had problems with the battery they would replace it. Now less than 3 years later the battery was not able to achieve 'green' on my smart charger, so I measured battery voltage at 10.5 volts.... Every one of the Yuasa batteries I have ever had on bikes and cars has lasted at least 5 years, and I replace batteries at 5 years as a rule. Now because the guy phoned me back rather than email I have no record of our conversation about replacing the battery which only get 12 months warranty anyway... I feel I have been stiffed by MDS...
Try a claim citing Sale of Goods Act "not fit for purpose" reasoning. They are statutory rights and warranty period is not necessarily relevant.

If you have a proof of sale, less than 3 years does seem low for average battery life. (Like you say batteries typically last longer. More anecdotes: The original Yuasa I had on my VFR lasted over 10 years and the batteries in our current SVs are probably getting on for 5 years+ too. I bet there's some industry statistics on the web somewhere.)

You may have to argue a bit but if you're going to have to replace the battery anyway what have you got to lose? Even if just to send an email to test the waters before letting them know you'll never buy from them again, or recommend them to anyone if their first response is 'No way'. You never know, maybe they'll have some semblance of decent after sales and honour the phone promise?
Ruffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-24, 10:01 AM   #11253
Seeker
Mega Poster

The Meaco dehumidifier story last chapter aka "what is wrong with UK customer service".

After emailing PayPal and loveshopping direct and finding the original dispatch note I approach Meaco again since I can prove I didn't buy the dehumidifier on an auction site. They send me the Out of Warranty Terms and Conditions (Huh?)

"#4 if the product has been opened by a non-Meaco technician then Meaco will not work on the product."

Since Meaco tell you that a C1 error is caused by overheating and, most likely, dirt build up I stripped the machine to clean it so no repairs for me. To re-iterate: I would be paying for the repair.

In the US a customer is considered an asset that helps profitability, I feel in the UK we are treated like an annoyance.
Old 22-02-24, 02:37 PM   #11254
SV650rules
Mega Poster

Seeker, this country ( and many other western countries ) have lost at least a generation of people who know how to fix things. This country will not be able to expand its manufacturing sector even if the silly politicians wanted to ( they seem very 'anti-manufacturing' ), there is a truly massive skills shortage in the 'technicians' sector' - the ones able to keep things working. Sure they are trying to bring apprenticeships back, but people can only get apprenticeships with hairdressers or plumbers nowadays.

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
Old 22-02-24, 02:55 PM   #11255
Luckypants
Mega Poster

I'd agree to an extent, but the denial of warranty claims if the thing is opened is what puts many people off trying. Now they don't even know how. Added to this is spares not being readily available to fix stuff.

Tesla actively discourage independent garages and owners from fixing their cars and try to force owners to use Tesla service
Snow Plough Appreciation Society - Member #3

Luckypants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-24, 03:16 PM   #11256
SV650rules
Mega Poster

Many things are not designed to be 'fixable' any more, just disposable...

Old 22-02-24, 05:18 PM   #11257
SV650rules
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruffy View Post
Try a claim citing Sale of Goods Act "not fit for purpose" reasoning. They are statutory rights and warranty period is not necessarily relevant.

If you have a proof of sale, less than 3 years does seem low for average battery life. (Like you say batteries typically last longer. More anecdotes: The original Yuasa I had on my VFR lasted over 10 years and the batteries in our current SVs are probably getting on for 5 years+ too. I bet there's some industry statistics on the web somewhere.)

You may have to argue a bit but if you're going to have to replace the battery anyway what have you got to lose? Even if just to send an email to test the waters before letting them know you'll never buy from them again, or recommend them to anyone if their first response is 'No way'. You never know, maybe they'll have some semblance of decent after sales and honour the phone promise?

Got in touch with MDS and their flippant reply was 'well they obviously don't make them like they used to' - and offered me a tenner off a replacement - but when I checked their price is the same as Halfords anyway ( and Halfords have stock which MDS do not ) - I just said they had shipped me a dodgy battery covered with acid once and I was not willing to trust them again... Funny that Tayna do not have stock of that Yuasa battery either, but their price once you add shipping is approaching Halfords anyway..

Old 22-02-24, 07:43 PM   #11258
redtrummy

Cripes never knew Halfords to be competitive without a discount code! Just check the battery date to make sure its a recent manufactured one.
redtrummy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-24, 08:30 PM   #11259
SV650rules
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by redtrummy View Post
Cripes never knew Halfords to be competitive without a discount code! Just check the battery date to make sure its a recent manufactured one.

I checked the battery at Tayna as well, their price almost £60 but by the time you add on delivery costs it it is almost the Halfords price, but Tayna do not have stock either. I know Halfrauds used to sell Yuasa batteries labelled as Halfords, so they must have had a relationship with Yuasa, maybe still do. MDS offer 'free' delivery in mainland UK, but charge pretty much the same price as Halfrauds.

Last edited by SV650rules; 22-02-24 at 08:31 PM.
Old 24-02-24, 06:55 PM   #11260
garynortheast
Mega Poster

Just had to part with £315.00 for new front discs and pads fitted to the Peugot.
garynortheast is offline   Reply With Quote