SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 04-12-08, 10:25 PM   #1
svrich

Default Anti-fog - What's best?

As an all year rider, and a specky-four-eyes, I get bad fogging at this time of year (Caberg Trip helmet). Is there a recommended insert that is a universal fit or will I be able to find a helmet specific one, or are the wipes that I've seen around any good (I'd be able to use them on my glasses too).
Thanks in advance.
Old 04-12-08, 10:31 PM   #2
fizzwheel
Super Moderator
Mega Poster

Default Re: Anti-fog - What's best?

Best I've found is a pinlock, but that relies on you having little pegs or mounts on your visor.

If you havent got one those you can get them fitted, but it involves drilling your visor, or buying a new pre-prepared visor.

If that doesnt float your boat, then get a Fog-City insert, does the same job, but sticks to the inside of your visor.

Pinlock IMHO is superior as you can remove it to clean it and the ghosting is less bad at night.

The other thing you might want to think about is a Foggy Respro mask that fits inside your visor and when you put your lid on it covers your nose and mouth and diverts your breath away from the visor.

I'm a specky-four eyes as well, since I use a combination of the pinlock and respro mask and I've never had a fogging / misting problem since

HTH

K5 GSXR 750 Anniversary Edition
fizzwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-08, 10:41 PM   #3
sauluk

I've got a pinlock, not done many miles as i'm quite a noob but no matter how hard I try I can't fog the visor up.
Was: Blue SK5
Was: KMX125.. stolen..
sauluk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-08, 10:56 PM   #4
FG1

As a stop gap til you have something, try rubbing a "small" amount of washing up liquid into the visor.
Literally 1 drop is all you will need. Rub it all over the visor with your finger as if polishing it then once it has gone to a hazy finish, polish off with a soft cloth.
Seems to work a treat for me.
Old 04-12-08, 11:31 PM   #5
injury_ian

being a speccy-four-eyes you'll have 2 problems...

a) visor misting, get a fog city (i think these are stick on these days) or a pin lock (drilling required)

b) glasses fogging up.. and these are the buggers!. a respro foggy mask or a antifreeze visor mask
I've had both now, foggy lasted about 2 months, the nose clip came free rendering it useless as it jetted a stream of moist air straight at my left lens. (you need to pull the clip when taking the lid off to prevent scratching your face on the way off)
The antifreeze I bought today, the nose clip doesnt hug your nose quite as well, but its still better than riding without a mask. time will tell on the quality of the kit.
Old 05-12-08, 08:00 AM   #6
Dangerous Dave

Pinlock in my opinion and experience, what stop the glasses from fogging up though.

Have you considered holding your breath while you ride?
Old 05-12-08, 08:18 AM   #7
thor

I use a foggy mask. Works fine once you get the fit right, which may take some fiddling.

No issues with glasses or steaming.
Old 05-12-08, 08:52 AM   #8
AndyBrad

Ive got the same issue with glasses and visor.

I fitted the fog city insert (to a pinlock visor) It does work but if its very cold outside and you’ve had a cuppa before setting off you will still get condensation on your visor. Ive not tried the mouth masks but I would imagine they would help this on the visor only. If you’ve ever used a dust mask with glasses you will know that you can get jets of air up the side of your nose and onto the glasses. I would imagine thi would be the case with the breath mask thingys? Could someone please tell me if they had any issues?

I since tried the anti fog stick that I got from the nec. This works brilliantly on the visor (cant get it to seam up over a kettle) but it will wear off. However the other issue is our glasses. I have an anti glare coating on my glasses (standard nowerdays) this means that all the antifog products ive tried have not stuck to the lenses. Hence I always seem to get fogging on my glasses and the only way to stop it is to get airflow.

I.e. were screwed?
Old 05-12-08, 09:04 AM   #9
thedonal

Contact lenses?!

I currently use Holts anti mist and water repellant- it seems to work OK for me, but needs regular replacing.

In winter, I also have a breath mask for my lid (HJC FG-14). This makes a big difference, but can direct the air into the eyes, and I can see Glasses fitting well over it.
Old 05-12-08, 09:29 AM   #10
fizzwheel
Super Moderator
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyBrad View Post
If you’ve ever used a dust mask with glasses you will know that you can get jets of air up the side of your nose and onto the glasses. I would imagine thi would be the case with the breath mask thingys? Could someone please tell me if they had any issues?
Nope not had a problem with that, but it does take a bit of fiddling and some patience to get the foggy mask to stay in the right place.

Theres a nose clip built into the mask which I think also helps stop the issue that you describe.

K5 GSXR 750 Anniversary Edition
fizzwheel is offline   Reply With Quote