SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 28-10-10, 03:12 PM   #1
SUPERSTARDJ01

Default What are SUZUKI TL1000 R like?

Hi,

Anyone own/owned one? are they any good?
Old 28-10-10, 03:47 PM   #2
Daimo

Default Re: What are SUZUKI TL 1000 R 1000cc like?

Yes.

Bags of torque, bags of grunt, don't be put off by the suspension and widowmaker claims.

Carbon cans sound best, but so much resonation they eventually blow through the carbon.

Great bikes, great engine. Go for the earlier S version (non faired) for true hooliganism. R faired versions are more girly and toned down.
Old 28-10-10, 04:48 PM   #3
tinpants
Ubique

As above. Get the "s" version. They're MUCH more fun!!!!!
Old 28-10-10, 05:03 PM   #4
andrewsmith
Mega Poster

Location: Newcastle upon Tyne, Just south of salad dodging country

the 's' look a lot nicer and are the true hooligan.

If the widowmaker claims put u off ignore them. I think swapping the rear shock for a conventional unit helps the handling

Every year we meet old friends, gain some new ones, lose old ones and you always remember them all.
“Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.” Mahatma Gandhi
andrewsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-10, 05:23 PM   #5
jonnyb

Hello! I own a 2002 TL1000R. Here is a summary of my time with it so far:

I got it in almost standard trim, just some cans (sound soo nice) and an undertray on it.

First, I changed the rear shock. It was creaking when I bought it. When i whipped it off I found it to no longer be straight, more like a slight banana shape. The Bitubo shock transformed the handling, it was like a different bike. Definitely definitely change the shock. Then, I warped the brake discs up from so got some waveys. Made a huge difference. A lot of people do front end swaps, I've heard of Busa front ends being good stuff. Then the Ecu went, and the bike cut out at about 65mph in a corner which was scary. But that's another story.

The motor is awesome. I dropped a tooth on the front sprocket and it's just silly amounts of fun, 3rd gear wheelies are a reality.

It is high maintenance though. Just had the valve clearances and the TPS done on the last service. It costs a fair bit to run especially with changed gearing. Petrol ain't cheap and tank range isn't all that. Be prepared to spend some money on it basically.

Don't believe all the stories about rubbish handling, if you set it up right it'll be cracking. Fact. Just spend time getting to know it and treat it with some respect. It's a big old thing to chuck about. It's quick enough to get you into trouble, but it's also pretty comfy. I rode to nurburgring and back in 48 hours doing only backroads and no motorways. It didn't miss a beat and my mate on an R6 was practically in tears when we got back.

I could ramble on for ages. But basically, I don't regret it for a second. They're getting rare-ish, which I like, but there are still lots of parts available as I found out when some tool knocked it over. As for the S or the R version, it's personal preference. I just like how the R looks.

I love my bike. Perfect? No. Reliable? Mostly. Fun? Definitely.

Happy days.
Old 28-10-10, 05:30 PM   #6
aarond

Have an s love it love it! With carbon cans currently getting stripped down and colour all changed, factor in getting rear suspension changed I bought a bitubo rear shock transformed the bike (circa £250 imported from states I think)
Old 28-10-10, 06:42 PM   #7
sunshine

I test rode a TL1000s the earlier today tempted to trade the SV650 for it, but on my test ride i found the widowmaker claims to be true if your not very gentle on the throttle, bit to much and the front wheel goes skyward, but that could be my 10stone not being enough to hold it down (i Wheelie to SV too much too), as jonnyb said treat it with respect and remember it is called the widowmaker for a reason.

The one i was looking at handled better than my sv which is set up the best i can do for myself so a bit of playing with the TL would get it perfect. My insurance killed my dream of having one, being 20 they declined to offer me insurance, im guessing they dont like its nick name.
Old 28-10-10, 07:18 PM   #8
aarond

I was 20 when got mine and insurance was I think 400 for multi bike policy including the sv and drz
Old 28-10-10, 07:23 PM   #9
Wideboy
Evel Knievel
Mega Poster

my insurance was 400 also for the TLs when 20, was cheaper than the SV
Wideboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-10, 07:47 PM   #10
sunshine

with how many points on them licence's?
and comp or fire and theif?

Last edited by sunshine; 28-10-10 at 07:50 PM.