SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 04-03-05, 09:59 AM   #1
will

Default radiator problem? help req'd.

being a bit of a technical novice, i need some help here.

just come into work and when i parked up and put the bike on the side stand, there was a steady trickle of water coming from the bottom corner of the radiator. the engine temp was 85 deg when i arrived at work after a 6 mile central london commute so not running hot or anything.

i think it was too much for it to have been a build up of melted snow.

i have also noticed when starting the bike form cold in wet conditions that there was a lot of steam coming off the header pipe. i put this down to rapidly heating engine evaporating the wet, but may be that's not right?

advice?

Will.
Old 04-03-05, 10:05 AM   #2
chutz

My K3 p****s out tons of water when it's put on it's side stand after a wet ride. Don't worry about it or the steam from the header pipes. Sounds pretty normal to me. The engine temp was fine too, just residual water pouring off as the bike is leaning on the stand. Makes quite a puddle in my garage!!!
Old 04-03-05, 10:55 AM   #3
embee
Mega Poster

Keep a close eye on the coolant header tank level. Always check it under the same conditions, preferably before you start it from cold because that's when it will be at its lowest level. When hot it will be higher.

If it doesn't go down at all over a few days use then you're fine.

From what you say I suspect it's normal, it's always surprising how much water can live in the radiator fins.

You can also try using a piece of white paper to soak some of this liquid up; if it's coolant it will be coloured (blue or red usually).
embee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-05, 03:49 PM   #4
will

thanks for the replies. nothing to worry about then.
Old 15-04-05, 07:24 PM   #5
Muttley

Had the same situation tonight, got to work having ridden in the rain, put the bike on the stand and watch a nice steady stream of water trickle of the bike.

Was quite worried until I read this.

Strange how I haven't noticed this before as I tend to ride to work in all weathers.

Amazing how good/helpful the Search facility is.