SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 16-04-07, 07:36 PM   #1
Supervox
No more Mr Nice Guy
Mega Poster

Default HELP !! IT Bod req'd !!

Can anyone explain to me :-

(a) What svchost.exe is & actually does ?

(b) Why it is that I have 6 entries showing in the task manager ?

(1) svchost.exe SYSTEM 4,520 K
(2) svchost.exe SYSTEM 5,160 K
(3) svchost.exe NETWORK SERVICE 4,548 K
(4) svchost.exe SYSTEM 24,704 K
(5) svchost.exe LOCAL SERVICE 6,296 K
(6) svchost.exe SYSTEM 3,380 K

(c) Why, sometimes after I've been online for a couple of minutes or so it seems to take up 99% of my resources therefore 'locking' up my machine & leaving me unable to do anything other than shut the machine down (by holding down 'on/off' button)

Thanks in advance
Old 16-04-07, 07:43 PM   #2
fizzwheel
Super Moderator
Mega Poster

Default Re: HELP !! IT Bod req'd !!

Read this it'll explain it better than I can

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314056

Basically its a bit of windows that makes other bits of windows work , what you've posted all looks legit enough, but you need to be careful as some virus' will exploit security vulnerabilities in SVHOST.exe and use that to FUBAR your operating system.

Check that your anti-virus is up to date ? If not update it and do a scan. Your PC locking up, could be spyware on it, if you've not got a spyware removal product it might be worth downloading this

http://www.lavasoftusa.com/products/...e_personal.php

I use it, works a treat and definately notice a speed increase after I've run it.

Also go to microsoft.com and run your machine through a windows update and install all the security patches and service packs ( this might take a while ) and then run it again. It oughta sort most things out.

( Apologies if this is teaching you to suck eggs )

K5 GSXR 750 Anniversary Edition
fizzwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-07, 07:51 PM   #3
Supervox
No more Mr Nice Guy
Mega Poster

Thanks Fizz.

I run Norton Internet Security which sems to catch a lot of virus / trojan / downloader crap - but I'll give the one you suggest a go as well !!

Windows is set to automatically download any updates but ask me before insatlling - but come to think of it i haven't had any messagess in a while - I'll check that out too !!

Thanks again
Old 16-04-07, 09:47 PM   #4
Filipe M.

Do yourself a huge favour and get rid of Norton. Really. Install something lighter (I use NOD32 myself, others will recommend things like AVG, Kaspersky or whatever). Anything but Norton. Why? Well... imagine riding an SV650. Now imagine riding an SV1000. Great. That's about it.
Old 16-04-07, 10:39 PM   #5
Supervox
No more Mr Nice Guy
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filipe M. View Post
Do yourself a huge favour and get rid of Norton. Really. Install something lighter (I use NOD32 myself, others will recommend things like AVG, Kaspersky or whatever). Anything but Norton. Why? Well... imagine riding an SV650. Now imagine riding an SV1000. Great. That's about it.
Either I'm missing the irony & sarcasm, or you haven't seen a pic of my (other) bike Filipe !! (please note the 2 cans & the number 1000 on the rear panel !!)

Thanks for the advice though - others have told me about Norton - I plan to look around for something else (McAffee ??) soon.
Old 16-04-07, 11:20 PM   #6
the_runt69

Vox, I would get rid of Norton and certainly not use Macafee its just as bad, I use AVG free and it seems to do the job, Noton uses as much system resources stopping virus's that the virus's use if they get in. and as stated get a good spyware remover like Lavasoft or spybot search and destroy and run that.

H
Old 17-04-07, 05:58 AM   #7
MiniMatt

From recollection SVCHOST.EXE is used to allow certain DLL files to run as executable services. That is, a perfectly clean computer can end up running SVCHOST multiple times, so it's not necessarily a bad sign, though that's not to say it can't get abused by a virus. Laptops running Win XP seem particularly keen on running multiple copies of SVCHOST, mainly through all the extra system tray power management applications and the like they run.

So, scan for viruses with up to date AV software (crucial), all of them catch viruses about as well as the next although Norton, and lately Mcafee, seem intent on installing a ton of extra gunk as well which does nothing for system performance. Certainly don't go deleting SVCHOST.EXE as, whilst it can be infected by a virus like any other, under normal conditions it will still show in task manager multiple times and it is a crucial Windows system file.
Old 17-04-07, 08:44 AM   #8
Filipe M.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supervox View Post
Either I'm missing the irony & sarcasm, or you haven't seen a pic of my (other) bike Filipe !! (please note the 2 cans & the number 1000 on the rear panel !!)

Thanks for the advice though - others have told me about Norton - I plan to look around for something else (McAffee ??) soon.
I knew about the 1000, that's why I used that analogy You wouldn't want to be caught riding a 650 now, would you? And like others have said, McAfee is another no-no unfortunately.
Old 17-04-07, 08:49 AM   #9
fizzwheel
Super Moderator
Mega Poster

Weird, we use Mcaffe at work on around 1500 desktops and I use it at home, I'm on the latest version and I've never ever had a problem with it performance wise.

I'd agree about Norton being CPU / Ram heavy though.

K5 GSXR 750 Anniversary Edition
fizzwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-07, 08:57 AM   #10
Filipe M.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fizzwheel View Post
Weird, we use Mcaffe at work on around 1500 desktops and I use it at home, I'm on the latest version and I've never ever had a problem with it performance wise.
I last used it maybe 2 ou 3 years ago, and it was starting to suck up resources just like Norton. The proverbial drop of water came when it failed to catch a virus, I installed NOD32 to try and get rid of it and it found another 4 or 5 viruses that were laying around undetected. But then again, nothing is completely foolproof and even NOD32 on standard settings will be a bit too relaxed for today's state of affairs...