SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 04-06-07, 09:13 PM   #1
DarrenSV650S
Mega Poster

Default Dundee to Dover with no motorways

Not entirely sure if this is possible

I am planning a trip to France later this year and will be riding down from Dundee to Dover. I'd like to make this part of the trip enjoyable too, and not just a blitz down the motorways to the ferry. I kinda like the idea of staying away from the main roads and going for the more scenic route.

So I thought I'd see if you could recommend any good roads as I pass through your neck of the woods. Obviously I can't veer off coarse too much, but if the road is good enough.......... I might be tempted. I have 3 weeks in total for the trip so can afford a few days for the trip down and back.

So what do you think? Is it possible?
What roads can you recommend I take?

Cheers
DarrenSV650S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-07, 09:25 PM   #2
Tim in Belgium

Default Re: Dundee to Dover with no motorways

Stokesley-Helmesley across the North York moors.

And coming down through the borders have a sniff of the A68 too.

As for the distance, this is again one of those mind/matter/distance/endurance issues that only you'll be able to answer, suggest you have a stop towards the end, i.e take most of the day getting down, stop somewhere2 hrs from Dover then get a mid-late morning ferry the next day. That way if you need to make up distance/time you can get up early the next morning to get there in time.

Alternatively look at a route with easy escapes on to Dual Carriageways in case you get delayed.

Hope the trip goes well, any idea of where you are going to head in France?
Old 04-06-07, 09:36 PM   #3
DarrenSV650S
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim in Belgium View Post
any idea of where you are going to head in France?
I'm constantly changing my mind. Originally I wanted to do a round trip of the country. But then thought that the weather might not be the best in certain regions. So thought about staying at a "base camp" and having lots of little day trips in the surrounding area. But I think I would feel a bit tied down with that option, which totally defeats the point of the trip. I like to just keep going and have the option of going where ever I want
So in other words, no, I don't know yet
Old 04-06-07, 09:43 PM   #4
Tim in Belgium

Have a think about the odd Alpine pass if you think your riding skills are up to it, you can take them at any speed you like and get some amazing views.

Also consider the Vosges mountains further north as a type of mountain warm up, some nice roads, and a good area to explore for a couple of days.
Old 04-06-07, 10:03 PM   #5
hovis

13 hours

http://www.theaa.com/travelwatch/pla...aymap=true#map
Old 05-06-07, 08:48 AM   #6
Tiger 55

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarrenSV650S View Post
Not entirely sure if this is possible
Easy.

A92 to Rosyth, ferry to Zeebrugge and then ask...
Old 05-06-07, 02:09 PM   #7
Ceri JC

I travel cross country in the UK quite a bit. Be aware that if you are going to do it on "fun" roads (rather than just fast dual carriageways that may as well be motorways) it will significantly add time to your journey. I recently looked at wales to scotland (Tomtom rider has an "avoid motorways" facility) doing this and it doubled the journey time. I'd advise you do a fair bit of forwards planning with a map and look for any near right angles with motorways (eg where M42 and M1 join is one for me) and look for A roads that cut the corner near there and you may well find it is more fun and doesn't cost any more time (or only 5-10 minutes). Also be aware that it makes navigation significantly harder/slower when you go cross country, so much so that unless you are familiar with at least some parts of it already/have a GPS, I'd advise you factor in extra time for getting lost, stopping to ask directions, etc.

Hope you find a good route.
Old 05-06-07, 02:22 PM   #8
Viney
Mega Poster

Hmmm, plenty of fun roads to get to dover from the southern end. However, the A2 and the M20 are horrible but quick and direct if running out of time, favouring the M20 over the A2(M) any day of the week.

Most of the routes down towards dover would be fun, but tricky if you are not used to the route. If it where me, id come down to the midlands somewhere, yorkshire even, sort of the M6 side then, have a blat over the pennines/Y.Moors, to the A1/A14/M11 then down there(Its not all motorway and has some roundabouts to break things up). Round the M25 to the M20(J3), then to dover from there. As Ceri says, it would add a lot to your journey going cross counrty, especially if you have a timed ferry to catch, and depends how far you are going into France.

Still if you want a route fromt he M25 to Dover, then ask, i'll sort you one out.
Viney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-07, 04:39 PM   #9
DarrenSV650S
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger 55 View Post
Easy.

A92 to Rosyth, ferry to Zeebrugge and then ask...
Is there a ferry that does that route?
Old 05-06-07, 05:00 PM   #10
Tiger 55

There surely is, and not only that, they're super fast!