SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 08-04-09, 09:49 AM   #1
lazymanc

Default Chain / Sprocket Kit wrong parts delivered, do I keep?

I ordered a DID O-ring chain and standard steel sprocket set for my faired SV650.

I've been sent an X-ring DID chain (108 / 525 - is that number of links and some other value?)

I've also been sent a 47T rear sprocket rather than a 44T.

So, first of all, will that combo work with the length of chain i've got? I can try it out but if I'm gonna send it back I don't really wanna open the wrapper.

Secondly, is it going to make motorway riding an absolute nightmare? I don't commute on the motorway but I do use it occasionally.

Would you keep it or should I send them back?
lazymanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-09, 09:53 AM   #2
rictus01
Mega Poster

Default Re: Chain / Sprocket Kit wrong parts delivered, do I keep?

If I remember right the naked is 110 links and the faired 108, for a 45 & 44 rear sprocket so a doubt the chain will be long enough to fit a 47.

Cheers Mark
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, 'Wow! What a Ride!
rictus01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-09, 10:09 AM   #3
lazymanc

Quote:
Originally Posted by rictus01 View Post
If I remember right the naked is 110 links and the faired 108, for a 45 & 44 rear sprocket so a doubt the chain will be long enough to fit a 47.

Cheers Mark
The Naked has a longer swingarm though doesn't it?
Old 08-04-09, 10:19 AM   #4
rictus01
Mega Poster

nope.
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, 'Wow! What a Ride!
Old 08-04-09, 10:41 AM   #5
Geoffrey

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazymanc View Post
The Naked has a longer swingarm though doesn't it?
the naked curvy has (1cm longer i believe) but i don't think the naked pointy has a longer swingarm over the faired pointy.

i think you would be better off sending them back, 47t is usable assuming it is the correct sprocket but i don't think your chain is going to be long enough.
Old 08-04-09, 10:44 AM   #6
lazymanc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoffrey View Post
the naked curvy has (1cm longer i believe) but i don't think the naked pointy has a longer swingarm over the faired pointy.

i think you would be better off sending them back, 47t is usable assuming it is the correct sprocket but i don't think your chain is going to be long enough.
Ok cheers, I'll give them a ring.
Old 08-04-09, 10:57 AM   #7
rictus01
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoffrey View Post

the ONLY difference on the curvy swingarm between the naked and faired is the rear sprocket attached, where did this "1 cm" come from? having worked on many over the years it's news to me, is this a guess or do you know (if so form where) ?

Although I haven't worked on as many pointies with one exception they have always been the same length to.

Cheers Mark.
Old 08-04-09, 11:11 AM   #8
lazymanc

Quote:
Originally Posted by rictus01 View Post
the ONLY difference on the curvy swingarm between the naked and faired is the rear sprocket attached, where did this "1 cm" come from? having worked on many over the years it's news to me, is this a guess or do you know (if so form where) ?

Although I haven't worked on as many pointies with one exception they have always been the same length to.

Cheers Mark.
I only mentioned it cause I recently saw a thread where Lissa said the adjusters were right up against the stops with the bigger sprocket and I think it was Dangerous Dave who said the naked was a longer swingarm... only now I can't find the bloomin thread.

I've spoken to the seller and they're gonna send me a 44T and a jiffy bag to return the 47T, so it's sorted
Old 08-04-09, 11:18 AM   #9
rictus01
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazymanc View Post
I only mentioned it cause I recently saw a thread where Lissa said the adjusters were right up against the stops with the bigger sprocket and I think it was Dangerous Dave who said the naked was a longer swingarm... only now I can't find the bloomin thread.

I've spoken to the seller and they're gonna send me a 44T and a jiffy bag to return the 47T, so it's sorted
FYI

All pre 2003 sv650 had a wheel base of 55.9 in (1,420mm) whether naked or faired
2003 (k3) SV650 had a wheel base of 56.5 in (1,435mm) whether naked or faired

Post 2003 (K4 onwards) SV650 had a wheel base of 56.7 in (1,440mm) whether naked or faired

that's not a guess, or an "I believe" or someone said, that's manufacturers spec.

Cheers Mark.
Old 08-04-09, 12:15 PM   #10
Geoffrey

dangerous dave is the one to speak to on the curvy side of things, although many people agree the naked curvy has a longer swingarm.

as for the pointy have a look here, it states the swingarm is 6mm longer on the naked (paragraph below the image of a blue pointy).

http://www.motorcycledaily.com/09apr...i2003sv650.htm

also note the parts microfiche website lists two part numbers, one for the naked and one for the faired.

i don't want to make this an argument but i have a lot of faith in the experience of dd.