SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Ecosse For all the lads and lassies north of the border

Old 07-02-10, 09:59 AM   #31
-Ralph-

Default Re: GM3 Idle banter and random drivel thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by martyn mcg View Post
Just looking at where the campsite is on google maps, didn't realise how close to Glasgow it actually is. Reading from earlier threads about what to bring with you in case of breakdown or emergency might be worth pointing out to some of the people travelling far to get here that if something goes t*ts up on a bike (and you don't have breakdown cover), need supplies you can't get out in the cuds or something else untoward crops up, home is only 65 miles from the campsite for me with a car at home.

Don't know how applicable this would be to anyone else who is from Glasgow but if need be I can easily get home and back (in car if necessary) within 2.5 hours. Wee bit of peace of mind in my eyes. Anyway, just a stray thought from me.
That's cool mate, but don't worry you shouldn't need to do that. There is a shop nearby in Crianlarich and everyone will have panniers, topboxes and so on as they will have travelled a distance.

Also on a rideout with over 50 bikes, if you break down, TEC will stop and see if he can help, but the rest of the rideout will be waiting for him at the next stop, and they've all ridden a long way and spent a lot of money to do that ride, so if your bike can't be started within a reasonable timeframe, it's call the AA for you, and on his way for the TEC.

Breakdown + no breakdown cover = "it's a long walk for you sonny", shortly followed by "see ya!". And with the route we are doing you could be 10 miles fom the nearest house.

It's only 30 quid for a basic package for a year, that's two extra tanks of fuel in a year, which you would spend by doing one or two rideouts, everyone get breakdown cover before the GM if you don't already have it.

Last edited by -Ralph-; 07-02-10 at 10:00 AM.
Old 07-02-10, 10:07 AM   #32
TEC

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Ralph- View Post
.... if you break down, TEC will stop and see if he can help ....
That wont be me I hasten to add thought I may be lurking behind a hedge/round a bend with camera in hand
Old 07-02-10, 10:09 AM   #33
-Ralph-

TEC = Tail End Charlie, whoever has the job of sweeping up at the back on the day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEC View Post
That wont be me I hasten to add thought I may be lurking behind a hedge/round a bend with camera in hand
Oh, yeah. If you come round a blind bend and see what looks like a police bike pointing a speed camera at you, it could just be TEC.

Last edited by -Ralph-; 07-02-10 at 10:12 AM.
Old 07-02-10, 10:50 AM   #34
JamesMio
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Ralph- View Post
Oh, yeah. If you come round a blind bend and see what looks like a police bike pointing a speed camera at you, it could just be TEC.
GMI - the closest I ever came to a stoppie on my old SV was squealing around a bend near Glencoe to see, "what's that white Pan doing there? hang on, why's it plastered in hi-viz yellow bits?" "Is that guy pointing a camera at me!?" and "SSSSSSHHHHHHHHHHEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAT HE IS!!!"

Creatomatic
JamesMio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-10, 03:16 PM   #35
martyn mcg

Agree with you totally Ralph, breakdown cover should be a must. Especially on a rideout. But I thought I'd just offer the help and cover anyway mate.

Just in case.
Old 07-02-10, 06:27 PM   #36
suicidesam

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesMio View Post
"SSSSSSHHHHHHHHHHEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAT!!"

Never noticed the Pan till i was on him, spent the next few miles constantly looking in the mirrors waiting for blue lights to appear!
Old 07-02-10, 09:40 PM   #37
TEC

I seem to remember I did warn peeps I would be there and the first year the bike was at the Green Welly before you lot
Old 07-02-10, 11:16 PM   #38
suicidesam

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEC View Post
I seem to remember I did warn peeps
And you expect us lot to take in, this thing you call a warning...

Thats against Ecosse policy
Old 08-02-10, 06:18 PM   #39
sunny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul the 6th View Post
yo dudes, getting things back on track sharpish (no point moping around the house is there)

in terms of camping is it Pay on Arrival or do we have to give a deposit? if so please let me know where to send it..
just pay the camp site owner when you get there, she doesn't need deposits for camping, first come - first gets best pitch but there is mega space
Old 08-02-10, 06:47 PM   #40
davepreston

i can personally vouch for breakdown cover what you spend on it in advance gets you a nice chauffer driven drive back to preston while you sleep in the back with the bike and recover from your hangover