SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 12-08-15, 09:38 AM   #1
Greybeard

Default ST1100 reg rec on curvy

Hi Folks,
I've got a 2000 SV650SY. For completeness (and to prove that I read the instructions) it has a Piper air filter, intiminators, KX10R rear shock, pointy inlet cams and an R6 throttle tube, but none of that will affect the question.
When I bought the bike the battery was distinctly dodgy. I replaced it and all was well until I took the bike out for a track day a couple of weeks back. The track day was fine, but the "new" battery wouldn't start the bike the next day, or after a full cycle on the optimiser.
A quick check revealed that it was charging at a nice 14.8V at 5000rpm but up to 18V at 8000rpm. In short it looks like the reg rec isn't doing it's thing and I've fried the battery.
I happen to have a nearly new Electrex one from an ST1100 in my shed, but the darn thing has seven wires on it.
I'm ok with the idea of a battery live and a live after the ignition switch, but unclear on the remaining one. Has anybody fitted a seven wire to a curvy, or found out that you can't?
I've found a few threads on reg rec in general but nothing addressing this problem.
Cheers
Old 12-08-15, 09:39 PM   #2
NTECUK
Mega Poster

Default Re: ST1100 reg rec on curvy

The generator on a pan is heavy-duty.its got a extra winding (Feild coil that basicly replaces the magnets in your system)and is more like a cars altinator sytem .

Last edited by NTECUK; 12-08-15 at 09:51 PM.
NTECUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-15, 10:19 AM   #3
Greybeard

Quote:
Originally Posted by NTECUK View Post
The generator on a pan is heavy-duty.its got a extra winding (Feild coil that basicly replaces the magnets in your system)and is more like a cars altinator sytem .
Thanks NTECUK. Yup, it certainly has a field coil, though the early ones weren't heavy duty at all (only 20A) and there was a mod developed to fit a bandit genny to give it some more capacity.
The question is whether the reg rec controls the output via the field coil (which I doubt, but I could well be wrong) or whether it works conventionally, in which case can I just ignore the field coil wiring and use it anyway.
Old 13-08-15, 01:36 PM   #4
NTECUK
Mega Poster

Id plump for a decent mosfet one that can shunt the power.
Last thing anybody wants to see is a fried stator.