SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 04-04-11, 06:31 PM   #1
MisterTommyH

Unhappy Oh mighty Org I need your help!

I have, somehow, managed to be conned into cooking for the missus tomorrow night. I have no time to prep and very little 'successful' cooking experiance.

I've never cooked for her before, and have already lowered expectations.....but I want to do something nice, but simple and something that I would have to try hard to get wrong.

Any suggestions???
MisterTommyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-11, 06:33 PM   #2
fizzwheel
Super Moderator
Mega Poster

Default Re: Oh mighty Org I need your help!

A Roast.

Its sounds difficult, but in my limited cooking experience its very hard to f*ck it up. Its just a matter of timing to make sure its already at the same time.

K5 GSXR 750 Anniversary Edition
fizzwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-11, 06:36 PM   #3
ryanh1418

Surely you have Dominos pizza up there?

On a serious note, if you want seeeriously easy what about a curry? Just cheat and buy one of the jars of pre-done sauce. I think you can just about call that cooking. Or fajitas, they're a piece of p1ss as well. Shepherds pie, that's a classic and again you can buy the sauce in a jar if you don't want to try making it from scratch. There's loads man!!
Old 04-04-11, 06:39 PM   #4
MisterTommyH

Ha ha,

I've already done the dominos thing, and the curry thing and now I kind of feel I have to cook something. Keep the suggestions coming...... I reserve the right to PM the winner for hints(!)
MisterTommyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-11, 06:46 PM   #5
Sally

Fajitas? I love them
Old 04-04-11, 06:48 PM   #6
Electro

My half decent meal is chops, lamb or pork, tats or chips, bit of greenery and some gravy, u cant mess it up, bit of desert if required
Old 04-04-11, 06:58 PM   #7
Stuuk1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sally View Post
Fajitas? I love them
Hell yes, fajitas are the way forward, chuck some chicken in the hot wok, get that cooked almost through, then chuck the sauce in and finish off the meat in that.

Once done, warm fajita wraps in microwave for a couple of mins and then chuck re stuff in them with some salad (perhaps cook some peppers in with the chicken and sauce)

Then under the grill with some grated cheese on top of the rolled up wraps...

I'm dribbling already.... And she will love it!
Old 04-04-11, 06:58 PM   #8
MiniMatt

Chilli is an easy one:

Mince, tin of chopped tomatoes, tin of kidney beans (wash these thoroughly before putting in), onions, chilli powder/paste.

Spag-bol recipie pretty much the same.

edit: oops, forgot, add a pepper to the chilli recipie (one of the big red/green/yellow ones), might want to finely chop one of the little hot ones into there too.

edit 2 - more detailed chilli recipie:
this tends to result in slightly soggy onions but is easiest - cook onions seperately and add to main dish at the end if you're really picky.

Get a tray of the leanest mince you can find. Judge the amount you need by eye. One large onion, 2 of those big peppers (different colours to look pretty but they taste the same), tin of chopped toms, tin of kidney beans. Heat wok with very small amount of oil to medium high heat, put chopped onion in, when onions start to brown put mince in, keep stirring whilst you core and chop the peppers, when mince is roughly browned put chopped tomatoes in, whilst that's simmering stick the kidney beans in a sieve and rinse thoroughly under a running cold tap, then throw them in along with the peppers. Start adding chilli powder to taste, keep tasting until heat is roughly right, about five to ten minutes tops of simmering to finish cooking the mince and slightly soften the peppers (you want to keep some crunch).
Meanwhile you should be boiling some rice (or one of those Uncle Ben microwave jobbies) - if you need instruction as to how to boil rice then you've got bigger problems

Last edited by MiniMatt; 04-04-11 at 07:16 PM.
Old 04-04-11, 06:58 PM   #9
dizzyblonde
Da Cake Boss
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by fizzwheel View Post
A Roast.

Its sounds difficult, but in my limited cooking experience its very hard to f*ck it up. Its just a matter of timing to make sure its already at the same time.
Roast dinner hits the spot everytime, but if you're no good at timing, at least you can pretend the veggies are 'fashionably al dente', and say beef should be a little pink and you like it that way

For the rest of us that are slightly more expert, people know when you've buggered up LOL

Hovis 13.8.75-3.10.09 Reeder 20.7.88-21.3.12
dizzyblonde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-11, 07:04 PM   #10
ryanh1418

Get a slow cooker. Buy a joint of meat, some root veg, spuds, bit of stock or sauce, sling the lot in, go do something for 6-8 hours, come back, EAT!!! If it hits the spot, go do something a bit more interesting for an hour or two

And if all else fails, sticky toffee pudding with double cream never fails to take the sting out of a f**ked up main course!!