SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 11-12-06, 09:14 PM   #1
krhall

Default How many SV's!!!

After the recent 'rucksack' thread I decided that, as I had a lot to carry today and didn't want to risk my back, I would jump in the diesel slurping beemer.

Anyway on my way home down the A2, whilst stuck in traffic with nothing better to do (other than wishing I was on my bike), I noticed the amount of SV's that were on the road in one guise or another.

It seemed to be almost 1 in 5 bikes, I know this is going to be a bit of an annorak question, but does anyone know if they are they UK's best selling bike?

Despite being warm, entertained and relaxed in the car I can't wait to get back on the bike tomorrow. Oh yeah and todays journey probably cost me as much as a full weeks commuting on my bike.......
Old 11-12-06, 09:22 PM   #2
Stu
Trinity
Mega Poster

It's never been the best seller.

I parked in Golden Square today and loads of SV's there on every corner
Stu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-06, 09:24 PM   #3
krhall

So if it isn't, what is?

Am I just noticing more as I have one?
Old 11-12-06, 09:26 PM   #4
hovis

theres hardly any in my neck of the woods
Old 11-12-06, 09:50 PM   #5
skidmarx

It aint a best seller, but according to bike magazine it's one of the most frequently crashed after scooters that is.....anyone else see that?
Old 11-12-06, 09:56 PM   #6
valleyboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by skidmarx
It aint a best seller, but according to bike magazine it's one of the most frequently crashed after scooters that is.....anyone else see that?
That will probably be all the new riders jumping on it after doing their DAS... and slamming the throttle shut at the first roundabout they come across.... not knowing what V-Twin engine braking does to your underwear the first time you do that AFTER you have already leant into the corner
Old 11-12-06, 09:57 PM   #7
krhall

It was bad enough seeing a non-sv bike on its side facing the wrong way, if it had been an SV I might have had some serious re-thinking to do, especially if it looked like mine.

Is that just because they are often touted as a great first big bike? As mentioned above.

That is why I bought one. I read all the reviews and it seemed to fit the bill perfectly.

V-twin braking! So its not just the way I drove early days, I still feel the back end twitching out occasionally, but I have to say that I'm still taking it quite easy.
Old 11-12-06, 09:59 PM   #8
the_runt69

Quote:
and slamming the throttle shut at the first roundabout they come across.
Did that when i first got the SV after my 400 Bandit, had two little dents in the tank for a while after

H
Old 11-12-06, 10:00 PM   #9
riktherider

i dont like to say this but the reason so many get crashed are because so many beginers get them. (including me thinking about that). i think the best selling bike would be someting like the gsxr. you may not see many of them as most of them are summer ride out bikes, which see no chance of rain.
I did a quick google and it came up with the cbr600f. but like i said, most likely something like a gsxr , r1, cbr or something like that. i know people have sv's as a second bike for the winter/commuting so that may be why you see so many of them

"oops, forgot the comma"
Old 11-12-06, 10:04 PM   #10
krhall

That is why I am desperate to go for a ride out with some more experienced SV riders.

It is my first big bike and learning from others experiences and knowledge of the Sv would be really useful.

I know there is a lot to learn, but as I bought the bike to commute, I could do with learning soon.