SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 04-08-10, 08:51 PM   #1
svrich

Default Any electrical people to offer advice?

Our Panasonic DVD recorder's picture has been off for the last few days. I thought a lead may have come lose, but no. So I opened it up this evening and a capacitor has popped its top so obviously needs replacing. I'll hopefully be able to pick one up tomorrow and get it soldered in in the evening. Does anyone have any advice on doing this? I remember form old school projects that heat from soldering can damage some components. Is this something to be aware of with this? There are only two pins to solder so I'm quite confident
Cheers.
Old 04-08-10, 08:56 PM   #2
Jackie_Black

Default Re: Any electrical people to offer advice?

you'll probably need a really fine tip for ya soldering iron and some quite thin solder. A desoldering tool is often handy to quickly remove the solder from the capacitor so it can be easily removed too. Transistors aren't massive fans of heat but caps and resistors are normally fine.

Good Luck!!
Old 04-08-10, 08:59 PM   #3
svrich

Cheers. I'll need to pick up a soldering iron tomorrow too as I haven't had one for years and they are handy to have around the house. I'll make sure it has a fine tip in the kit.
Old 04-08-10, 09:03 PM   #4
Specialone

Clean tip is important, tinning paste? (been a while).
You can pre-solder the bits where the new cap is going, this helps it bond quicker, also pre-solder the tips on the cap if you can without stopping the pins going through any holes.
As long as you only hold the tip on there longer enough for the solder to run, it should be ok.
Old 04-08-10, 09:29 PM   #5
Jackie_Black

oh aye, little damp sponge to keep the end clean. Most solder now has flux in it so will tin the end. Remember to heat the track and the component then allow the solder to run in.
Old 05-08-10, 06:11 AM   #6
arenalife

Electrolytic caps are polarised so put it in the same way round or it'll pop. There is usually a white band down the side with 0's in it, that's the neg side so make sure it goes round same way.
Old 05-08-10, 12:47 PM   #7
Razor

i use thin needle nose pliers on the lead being soldered, works as a heat sink, if you're concerned about heat
Old 05-08-10, 02:27 PM   #8
warrenhewitt10

are most modern electronics not really small surface mounted components? id imagine this will be very difficult with a normal soldering iron lol