SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 15-08-05, 07:49 AM   #1
Natasha

Default Just a dead battery?

I’ve recently replaced the battery on the bike and I’ve had 3 weeks of trouble free riding. However I left the bike standing for a week and when I tried to start it was dead. I thought this was a bit strange however I do have a datatool but surely it shouldn’t drain it this quickly?

Anyway, I had it on charge for 2 days before it would start again – doh! So I start riding again, no problems.

This morning (it hadn’t been ridden since Friday evening) it starts up fine, which I’m rather pleased with! Get a mile down the road, it coughs twice and on the second cough it dies. On the side of the road and like hell I can get it started, so I push it into a side road. I managed to get it started so I dropped it back home and took the car in.

Is this just related to the battery? The place I brought it from have offered to take a look to see if there is a fault with the battery but I’m worried it’s with the bike!

Natasha
Old 15-08-05, 08:44 AM   #2
wheelnut

It does sound a lot like a battery problem, maybe the first time you left the parking lights on! but to take 2 days to charge up sounds wrong, unless the plates are bent.

I leave my bike outside at work while Im away all week and ut starts no problem on the weekend
Old 15-08-05, 08:59 AM   #3
Noufy

Had a battery problem over the weekend, left the ignition key on while i was fiddling with the lights. When I was done couldn't get it to fire up and realised battery was dead. Went down the road for a charger and the guy told me there were all sorts, one would take uo to 3 days and one would charge overnight, so took the overnight one and I was able to fire her up within 3 hours. It all depends on tehcharegr you have.

Having said that the battery shouldn't go dry just because you leave the bike for a week, I've left it for longer than that (up to 5 weeks) and when I come back it fires up ok. I have a datatool system too. Sounds like there is a problem, how long you had the bike for, did you have any electrical works done recently? May be something is wrongly connected. Would be a good idea to have it checked.
Old 15-08-05, 02:01 PM   #4
Natasha

I just to leave my hornet for several months and it would start up no problem - so 1 week is quite surprising!

N
Old 15-08-05, 02:45 PM   #5
DeeJay

It may be more than the battery... i had this on my GSXR a few weeks ago, ended up being the Alternator (which needed replaced), and i had to replace the Rectifier too....

It sounds like it may be more than just a battery problem.... but is hard to tell over the internet
Old 15-08-05, 02:50 PM   #6
mysteryjimbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeJay
It sounds like it may be more than just a battery problem.... but is hard to tell over the internet
You dont say....

Yep. Sounds like a dead battery to me. PM Balddood, he'll sort you out.
Old 15-08-05, 03:26 PM   #7
zx6man

My zx6 if I leave it for a week with alarm on will be almost flat..2 weeks for sure, I dont have power to the garage so use a solar power charger which puts in enough to cover the alarm drain.
Old 15-08-05, 03:52 PM   #8
Natasha

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeJay
It may be more than the battery... i had this on my GSXR a few weeks ago, ended up being the Alternator (which needed replaced), and i had to replace the Rectifier too....

hmmm that may be something I have to explore.
Old 15-08-05, 05:07 PM   #9
Richie
fantabulas
Mega Poster

Some batteries die slowly, fact.
recharge the battery on a low slow charge,
Do not put it back on the bike until after you've taken it to a local garage and ask them to do a discharge test on it, with a fully charged battery this should only take the garage a max of 15-20 seconds to tell you if the battery goosed or not. ( they should do it free of charge, as it doesn't cost anything to test...but maybe there might be a small charge if they need to fill the cell's with distilled water.)
If the battery is good then your looking at other things, ie lose leads or faulty generator (alternater) or rectifier pack.
but get the battery charged and tested first, that way you'll know for sure.

Richie
Old 15-08-05, 05:42 PM   #10
fizzwheel
Super Moderator
Mega Poster

Natasha I have a spare battery I dont mind loaning you if you want to make a trip to Yeovil so we can swap it over if that helps

K5 GSXR 750 Anniversary Edition
fizzwheel is offline   Reply With Quote