SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Track Days Post up here about trackdays

Old 07-05-15, 09:14 PM   #1
Redmist

Default Drive by Versus static noise tests? Donnington 25th May

Just wondering if anyone can give me any idea if my SV which regular reads 104 - 105db at static tests would be ok at Donnington with a 98db drive by test?

Cheers, Mike.

Want a Gyrocam for your track / road / racing videos? Gyrocam here!

Bikes: Minitwin SV650 '04. Click me!
SV650 (Now Nekked!) '04. Pictures here!
Redmist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-15, 10:39 AM   #2
Red Herring
Mega Poster

Default Re: Drive by Versus static noise tests? Donnington 25th May

It's unfortunately a little bit of a lottery. I would suggest that if you are that near the static test limit you might be a bit borderline on the drive by but it rather depends on a number of other things, have you for instance got the tank lifted with the snorkel removed, how do you ride it, and believe it or not, the weather conditions......

As an example we came to grief last week with a friends Caterham 7. Passed the static test easily and he then went out and did three sessions in the dry using all 260bhp plus....... without any problems. I then drove it just as it started to rain and was flagged in for breaking the drive by noise limit within a dozen laps. Turns out the meter we were triggering was on the inside of the circuit which is the side the inlet trumpets are on (exhaust is actually on the other side) and because I had less revs on due to the rain but still with an open throttle the characteristics of the induction noise pattern went over the limit....... The man with the meter also explained that when it rains cars tend to be noisier due to the way sound travels through damp air...? (Any experts out there like to confirm this or was he just winding us up!)

I modified my driving style slightly and they let us finish the day but it really isn't as straightforward as it sometimes seems.
Red Herring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-15, 06:42 PM   #3
nutzboutbikes

Default Re: Drive by Versus static noise tests? Donnington 25th May

I guess the 104db-105db reading is without a baffle as mine is about the same, with the baffle in it is 98db static so I just leave it in there to save any worry/hassle trying to get it passed, I do not notice a performance difference when its removed.