SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 23-10-06, 10:46 PM   #11
glade

i've got a sony walkman phone. i find that i can have it loud enough to hear but not loud enough to drown out everything else. Fine for filtering in traffic, but you can't hear the music too well at motorway speeds. fortunately i only have a 4 minute blast down a dual carriageway on my commute.

Look up the sony erikson headphones. they are like no other i've seen... like a rubber ear plug with a speaker. its actually very quiet but you can hear it in the ear... good for listening in the office without annoying anyone.

unless you're and idiot and have it too loud the worst thing about riding with music is that you get the buzz of the music and it might make you go a bit faster
glade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-06, 10:58 PM   #12
Demonz

Sony have some nice little plugs similar to the IPOD ones but with a clip around the ear. My problem was the standard plugs kept falling out when pulling on the helmet and then the plug wouldnt stop the noise and the sound was rubbish.

The clip ons inner earphones work better - and then I use one of those scarf/neck warmer things over it - and slip the helmet over top of this. They sit in nice and tight. Ambient is the same as with plugs (with the player off) and crystal clear music when its on.

I view it as the same as listening to the car radio really loud and its great on an arduous journey. It plugs into my Phone which has MP3 Walkman/Radio and a little mouthpeace button bit which I clip just under my chin on the helmet. Means I can use the phone without having to take the helmet off.
Old 23-10-06, 11:56 PM   #13
vulcan666

I think if you're experienced enough to be safe regardless of conditions and cagers' mistakes, it's probably fine. I don't feel experienced enough, myself, but then I've only been riding for 25 years or so.

Seriously, when riding amongst cagers you're always a target. No need to be a scared git about it but also no need to reduce your safety factor IMHO.
Old 24-10-06, 12:07 AM   #14
Bluepete
Mega Poster

I have what sounds like the same phone as Blade, and the earphones are very good, they tuck into the ear canal instead of being held in by the flappy bits of the ear. I went one step further with them and moulded them into a proper earplug using a two part kit that sets a bit like silicone. Now I can have the music on quiet, get the benifit of hearing protection and alll for about £15.
have to admit, I don't use them for the commute, but on longer rides, keeps me sane!
Bluepete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-06, 07:07 AM   #15
busasean

yes, no problem. but use common sense. i have a autocom system with an mp3 and phone connected up. i cover 40k per year from hastings up as far as Manchester and warrington. keep the volume at a sensible sound level and if tired switch it off. no different to having a stereo in the car just be extra vigilant.
Old 24-10-06, 08:02 AM   #16
Kate

I think it depends on experience and volume level. For instance, someone who hasn't been on the road too much probably shouldn't have it on. Viney has a good point - Riding around town probably isn't so great an idea either.

However, on motorway riding I find it useful. I have the volume set so that I can still hear whats going on around me but I can also hear my music. I find music helps me concentrate, I usually even have my earphones on at work, particularly when I'm doing something complicated.

I have the Sony inner-ear jobbies and they do an excellent job of filtering the distracting and useless noises out but still being able to hear what you need to hear (sirens, engine sounds etc).
Old 24-10-06, 10:26 AM   #17
socommk23

i always listem to my mp3 on the bike. its never impared my riding. just keep doing your mirror checks etc and be aware of your surroundings and all is well. in my experience.
Old 24-10-06, 10:43 AM   #18
BillyC
Mega Poster

I use my iPod on my bike, through central London, most days.

It's easy to perceive it being a problem, but I found in practice, with obviously sensible use, it's fine.

I don't have it very loud, it's only there to provide a background sound track, and I have the volume limiter set accordingly. I find that I'm still able to hear traffic perfectly well enough - and at the end of the day it doesn't affect observation.

For London, it especially makes the frequent waits at traffic lights, less boring!

The way I saw it, is that I listen to the stereo in a car, where I can hear even less anyway, so why not listen to something on the bike?

I find it relaxes me and my riding after a day's work, and cuts out the clatter from the engine.

It may not suit everyone, but I'm perfectly happy doing it thank you.
Old 24-10-06, 10:48 AM   #19
BillyC
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobit69
You are a danger to yourself as well as others... From experience I nearly went head on with an ambulance due to an MP3 player... No sirens you see!

I think I've made my point clear!
I think with no sirens going, not having music on wouldn't have helped. The problem here was perhaps your general observation - for which you use your eyes, not your ears.
Old 24-10-06, 11:32 AM   #20
gridgirl

Very interesting ...

I do miss listening to music on the way to work and back, I think it does depend on the riders observation skills.

I tried it once and had an accident when I was first learning, DOH! Although I don't put it down to the MP3 entirely, my inexperience as a rider had a part to play too.

GG