SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 04-03-19, 11:15 AM   #41
daktulos

Default Re: The Sat Nav minefield!

One thing I would say about TomTom (I have one built into the car) - it keeps telling me to "enter the roundabout" which is next to useless as a) you usually can't avoid doing that, and b) you have no idea which way you're turning, so don't know which lane to be in.

I don't know if the motorcycle versions are similar, but I can't rely on just voice commands in the car.
daktulos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-19, 02:44 PM   #42
SV650rules
Mega Poster

At least the Garmin says ' at next roundabout take third exit ' etc so gives you good information by voice. Also at top left hand of screen it shows a picture of upcoming junction or roundabout with the exit you need to take and distance to it in miles and then decimal fraction of a mile and then feet as you really get close ( but does not count down in voice commands) but a good clue is that it tells you turn is coming up exactly 0.2 of a mile in advance and then repeats it as you approach, also vocalises the number of the road you are turning onto. My Garmin will also do off-road ( basically a straight line between where you are now and the next waypoint / or the map reference you entered).

I carry around one of those power sticks ( the ones you charge up to top up phone battery) with and adaptor cable from USB to mini-USB to maintain power if satnav battery gives up.

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain

Last edited by SV650rules; 04-03-19 at 02:47 PM.
SV650rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-19, 03:20 PM   #43
daktulos

The weird thing is, it sometimes does tell you which exit (or to go straight, which also leaves a little for interpretation) but about half the time, it just says "enter the roundabout". There is a pop-up on the dash which just has an arrow pointing to a roundabout sign, so that's no use either - you just have to stare at the line on the map or guess which way you're going.

I'm sure TomTom makes good products, it's just this one drives me mad!
daktulos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-19, 05:17 PM   #44
Mark_h
Mega Poster

I've got a garmin Zumo 340LM. Excellent gadget. Used in all weathers and so much better than messing about with a phone and cases etc. Can use it with gloves on , in bright sunlight, in the rain, keeps a track of when you need fuel and then directs you to a petrol station, speed cameras, simple UI ti use one handed while ridign along. About the only shortcoming of the 340 over more advanced options is a lack of "wiggly route" planning option and how it manages multiple Bluetooth connections.

The 340 only pairs with your headset, not your phone as well. This means you are reliant on your headset managing the hand-off between music and directions. Fine if you have a decent headset but some of the cheepo Chinese ones do not manage this at all well.

The higher spec garmins pair the phone through the GPS into the headset then the GPS itself manages the prioritisation and muting functions.

Over recent years I have taken to listening to music when I ride so this was fairly important.

I now have a Cardo Scala Q1 which manages all the handoffs perfectly as well as having a decent volume output.

Oh and the garmin power supply is a bit bulky. Wedged nicely behind the headlamp on the SV but a bit of a squeeze inside the fairings of the multistrada.

If my garmin got nicked, I'd have no hesitation in buying the same one again.
Aliquid prudentissimus delectabiles et intelligentes in adamasset lingua.
Mark_h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-19, 05:30 PM   #45
embee
Mega Poster

Went to use my Zumo 595 today, only to find the battery completely flat. Then I remembered, it has a rather odd feature where if you just push the on/off button it doesn't actually turn off, it goes into power saving mode, which is power saving but the unit is still powered so flattens the battery eventually. To turn it off you hold the power button for 5sec then it asks if you want to turn off. A bit bonkers but as long as you remember then it's OK. When touring and using it every day it will usually survive until next morning so while I'm sure I forget to turn it "off" sometimes, it actually performs fine.
Garmin is quirky to say the least.
Old 04-03-19, 05:48 PM   #46
SV650rules
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by embee View Post
Went to use my Zumo 595 today, only to find the battery completely flat. Then I remembered, it has a rather odd feature where if you just push the on/off button it doesn't actually turn off, it goes into power saving mode, which is power saving but the unit is still powered so flattens the battery eventually. To turn it off you hold the power button for 5sec then it asks if you want to turn off. A bit bonkers but as long as you remember then it's OK. When touring and using it every day it will usually survive until next morning so while I'm sure I forget to turn it "off" sometimes, it actually performs fine.
Garmin is quirky to say the least.
Replacement batteries for Garmin are available at very cheap prices, I have replaced battery on both of mine. The symptoms of failing battery are when the usable time gets shorter, but it happens fairly slowly, but knowing what I know now about 3 years is about time, I got a kit with a DVD, tools and battery for less than £20. Just the battery about £10.... If you have it plugged into power all the time no worries, but I like to use mine while walking and also not plugged in for shorter journeys, when using it on foot I do carry a separate power bank and adaptor lead for emergency use.

https://www.argos.co.uk/browse/techn...banks/c:30297/

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain

Last edited by SV650rules; 04-03-19 at 05:50 PM.
SV650rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-19, 10:55 AM   #47
Sir Trev
Mega Poster

I use my TT Rider 40 on my bicycle as well as the T100. Added a RAM mount to my Raleigh's handlebars and toggle the power switch to standby when I know I have a way to go before turning again to save battery but also carry a powerbank now just in case.

The basic Rider units are fine and I have to say that after trying the Wiggly Route feature once or twice I gave up as it took me down odd, gravel-strewn farm tracks and tiny backroads where the muddy 4x4's like to hurtle round like they're invincible. I tend to stick with the "avoid motorways" setting now which still takes you on some interesting routes that are often pretty empty.

Will hook it to my lid one day when I can be bothered to get bluetooth speakers installed but for now it's on a RAM mount up by the clocks so it's easy to very briefly glance at. Power supply is linked to switched live (the horn) and a locking Touratech mount means I don't worry at the petrol station or bikers caff that it will still be there when I get back to the bike.
Old 23-03-19, 12:17 PM   #48
Adam Ef
Mega Poster

I managed to pick up a second hand (but unused) Zumo 396 for a good price with an eBay discount code. A few bits missing that I didn't need so it was a bit cheaper, then a lot cheaper with the discount code and seller still got his price, so happy all round.

Started looking at it this morning and seems fairly decent and intuitive. Will give it a test and report back when I've used it for a while.

Thanks again for all help and suggestions everyone.
Adam Ef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-19, 12:19 PM   #49
Adam Ef
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Trev View Post
I use my TT Rider 40 on my bicycle as well as the T100.

Great idea. I'm going to recommend this to a friend who has close up sight issues. The cycle specific ones don't have the voice promopts that he would really benefit from.

I may well give the 396 a go on my bicycle too. It looks compact enough the be manageable.
Adam Ef is offline   Reply With Quote