SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 19-04-08, 12:22 AM   #1
derbybiker

Default Side stand switch.

...failed on me yesterday.

On the way to work Friday morning. Off a roundabout, into a NSL and opened it up as I passed two slow cars. Must have got 100 yards passed them and the engine just died. Pulled the clutch in and hit the starter button but it wouldn't fire, quick check of mirrors, tried letting the clutch out to kick the engine back into life but no good, all I got was a lot of back firing. Anyway losing speed now so clutch back in, quick check of the mirrors, indicator on and ease into the side of the road. Luckily it's one of these roads with the solid white line on the kerb side with a couple of feet of tarmac then before the edge so had plenty of room to stop in out of the way.

Ignition off and have a quick look round the bike, nothing obvious. So ignition on, into neutral and hit the starter and bursts into life. Great I thought, clutch in, drop it into gear and the engine dies. Oh dear (or something like that) I thought, I've a good idea what this problem is now.

Call the AA who are there within the hour. He removes the switch for me and connects the wires to complete the circuit and I'm on my way again.

It was only later in that day that I was thinking it could have been a lot worse if there wasn't that gap between myself and those slower cars that I overtook. What if it had happened at a slower speed and there was an artic behind me or what if it had happened in the 2nd or 3rd lanes of a busy motorway at 70+ mph?

Anyway I know why the switch is there but after this incident I think I'll be removing this switch from any further bikes I get.
Old 19-04-08, 12:25 AM   #2
kwak zzr

Default Re: Side stand switch...

good idea, that could have been nasty.
Old 19-04-08, 12:27 AM   #3
yorkie_chris
Noisy Git
Mega Poster

Same as I've done to a few, bypass everything with minimum amount of wire. More possible points of failure = bad.
Old 19-04-08, 11:43 AM   #4
Dangerous Dave

Yeah good idea, I have none of the switches left on the 750 and just one on the 650. I tend to remove them from any bike I work on if they have been a problem at anytime or if someone asks.

They are just idiot proof devices to help idiots ride a motorcycle anyway!
Old 19-04-08, 11:58 AM   #5
sv650k4

They are just idiot proof devices to help idiots ride a motorcycle anyway![/quote]

lol. they have caused some problems for people in the passed so you would be better 2 do away with anything you can!

i have all them off my sv!