SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 04-03-05, 03:32 PM   #1
johnnyrod
Mega Poster

Default Trouser dyno

There are an unfeasible number of threads on here about which jets go with which can/zorst/air filter etc. My usual line (and I still stick to this) is that with CV carbs you really need them set up on a dyno as doing it on how the bike feels to ride is rather tricky. Well, I came across this for those of you who want to give it a go/can't afford dyno time/are interested:

http://www.factorypro.com/tech/carbtun.html

I think they supply Dynojet kits or something similar, anyway the instructions look pretty good. However, my real advice is:

Get it dynoed if you can, job done properly, but this costs of course. And you'll get a final bhp figure.
Balance the carbs before you start. This can be tricky so consider getting a garage to do it. And don't buy cheap-ass gauges, they're a waste of money. The carbs will stay in balance for a long time. If you get it dynoed then this should be a part of the set-up by the dyno tech.
Approach the instructions in order, i.e. top end first, working your way down to bottom end, trying it any other way will make your head spin and you'll have to start again.
Be patient, if you make a change and aren't sure if it's better, give it a while and consider undoing the last change. Mazes have dead ends, after all.

As an addendum, has anyone/would anyone want to collate info about cans/filters/pipes and jetting set-ups? If the answer is no-one, let me know and I might do it for you (aren't I nice).

Hope this helps
johnnyrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-05, 04:24 PM   #2
northwind
Mega Poster

I think you're spot on there... You can get decent results doing it by feel, but at the end of the day why settle for decent results? I've not had mine dynoed properly yet as I've been changing things bit by bit, so I've been happy just to have it running well, but at the end of the day if you're sopending the cash and effert to fit jet kits, exhausts, why stint on the setup?

Having said that, it does probably make sense for the mechanically handy to get as close as they can before going to a dyno operator, since it'll make the job easier and quicker, and therefore cheaper.

Also, i was just thumbing through the Demon tweeks catalogue, and I found they sell a couple of a/f gauges... I know throttlecraszed on SVrider has a setup like that fitted to his bike, but I wondered about building a temporary sniffer that could be stuck in through the end can, wired along to the dash, and used while home jetting...
But we're oh so easily swayed"
northwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-05, 04:32 PM   #3
Mike1234

Lots of other bikes have small holes fitted to the exhaust that are designed to have air/fuel sensors put in when setting the bike up. They normally have blanking plates fitted as standard.

There are a number of set ups that you can then fit , however temporarily, and have the output displayed on the dash.
Old 04-03-05, 04:53 PM   #4
northwind
Mega Poster

Any idea how much those'd typically cost?
But we're oh so easily swayed"
northwind is offline   Reply With Quote