SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 15-12-09, 03:38 PM   #1
barwel1992

Default renthal grips FYI

Just a quick fix to make the renthal grips fit the sv throttle tube as it does not quite fit in its standard form

this is how the grips fits on in the standard form, the grip hangs off the end of the throttle tube.

I used a dremel and a file to grind down the plastic lip so the biggest plastic disk (bit) is 90o to the tube (where the grip goes)

i cut off the bit marked in read (these bits are attached to the biggest disk)

then with that done the grip fits fully on to the tube and is also closer to the switch gear more like the opposite side(butted right up the switch gear)

no idea if this is any help for some one but there you go
Old 15-12-09, 03:51 PM   #2
lee67

Default Re: renthal grips FYI

always done same thing myself, but i have a little tip for u,.....take off the throttle tube to cut/dremel etc...that way no plastic swarf ends up inside the throttle housing , which can work its way down the throttle cables. or the switchgear housing!!...
Old 15-12-09, 04:02 PM   #3
barwel1992

good point there i actually cut the thing on the bars as all the dust and bits went down wards then brushed them off with a hard brush
Old 15-12-09, 07:28 PM   #4
Holdup

I did the same thing also, its best to take throttle tube off first as when trying to get the original grip off i managed to twist the throttle so far back and broke it so upon shutting the throttle off it went back further than usual, luckily i managed to fix it with out buying a new tube, also another note, one grip is designed to fit on the throttle side and the other grip is designed to fit on the clutch side, i mean, who would be stupid enough to not realise that
Old 15-12-09, 07:47 PM   #5
barwel1992

^ lol hmm maybe i dident look at that whats the diff ?
Old 15-12-09, 08:03 PM   #6
Holdup

The diameter of the hole in the middle of the grip, you'll know if youve got it wrong because the left hand grip would be really baggy even when dry and the throttle side will be extremely tight to get on
Old 16-12-09, 12:06 AM   #7
barwel1992

lol yup on the wrong way ohh well pulled it back off and will refit tomorrow the right way it would be nice if they could tell you on the packet ...
Old 16-12-09, 12:23 AM   #8
Holdup

Quote:
Originally Posted by barwel1992 View Post
lol yup on the wrong way ohh well pulled it back off and will refit tomorrow the right way it would be nice if they could tell you on the packet ...
Ahahahaha! Looooooseee... oh wait...

Yea i know i said that to the bloke at hein gericke once he had pointed out my mistake, didnt you notice how tight it was to get on the throttle side? i gave up on the throttle side because it was so tight untill i obviously found out i'd done them wrong

Btw what you got soft or medium?

Last edited by Holdup; 16-12-09 at 12:27 AM.
Old 16-12-09, 12:28 AM   #9
tonyt

Still not a good fit tho, what I can see... !!
tonyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-09, 12:34 AM   #10
Holdup

Mines the same (pictures not very good but only picture i have and i didnt take it for the grip) tbh you dont really notice it, i dont.