SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 11-02-10, 05:36 PM   #1
sauluk

Default Home Gym equipment

I used to train a lot when I used to have the time but where I work now I simply don't. There's a gym on the way home which I checked out but it's tiny and has very little equipment.. and charges a fortune.

I'd like to get a simple set up in the house/garage. Just a bench to accommodate an olympic bar and then a few dumbells etc.

Unfortunately though, looking at Argos and the like the benches appear to be build for 10 year olds, at 6ft 1 I'm not going to fit on them, nor will they be able to hold my weight and over 100kg. Any of you guys know any decent kit?

I found a couple of decent spotter catchers and could get a solid bench to slide under but the less hassle the better.
Was: Blue SK5
Was: KMX125.. stolen..
sauluk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-10, 05:46 PM   #2
aarond

Default Re: Home Gym equipment

get one made at a fabricator?
Old 11-02-10, 05:54 PM   #3
husky03
Mega Poster

get yourself a marcy sr50 squat rack(takes both 6 and 7 ft bars) and an adjustable bench, then as much weight as you can afford-if buying new should be about 250 for the rack and bench-some places you'll get about 140kg for 200 quid-if you can, get used from ebay,you can end up getting all the above with some serious plates for 300-350.
husky03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-10, 05:57 PM   #4
Dave20046
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by sauluk View Post
I used to train a lot when I used to have the time but where I work now I simply don't. There's a gym on the way home which I checked out but it's tiny and has very little equipment.. and charges a fortune.

I'd like to get a simple set up in the house/garage. Just a bench to accommodate an olympic bar and then a few dumbells etc.

Unfortunately though, looking at Argos and the like the benches appear to be build for 10 year olds, at 6ft 1 I'm not going to fit on them, nor will they be able to hold my weight and over 100kg. Any of you guys know any decent kit?

I found a couple of decent spotter catchers and could get a solid bench to slide under but the less hassle the better.
Decathlon might be worth a look?
They're cheap and you'd be able to see how sturdy stuff is instore

Last edited by Dave20046; 11-02-10 at 05:58 PM.
Dave20046 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-10, 07:22 PM   #5
sauluk

Good ideas. Cheers all, was looking at the marcy stuff in any case as it looked sturdier / more professional than the rest.
Old 11-02-10, 08:17 PM   #6
TC3

I recently got back into training and looked around for a bench that would allow flat/incline use and it needed to be strong and foldable. Argos had nothing but rubbish for my needs and i ended up getting a Golds Gym bench for 60 quid from JJB Sports. It is well made and easy to adjust. I however am using it with dumbells for upper body workout. This is it

http://www.jjbsports.com/gold's-gym-...p-product/8509

Last edited by TC3; 11-02-10 at 08:22 PM.
Old 11-02-10, 09:17 PM   #7
Orpheus

Not 100% without looking, but i thought argos does marcy benches and stuff. Ive definately seen the squat rack in there, which im planning on getting. Then all you need is a bench (i.e no need for a rack with it) and its more flexible
Old 11-02-10, 09:58 PM   #8
beabert

I had the marcy rack and it will take way over 140kg, they state that to cover there arses.

Personally i think you should go the gym, too many distractions at home, you wont be as motivated.
Old 11-02-10, 10:10 PM   #9
husky03
Mega Poster

and all the fit hot women at the gym won't be a distraction-give me the garage anyday, i get a better workout in there and don't need to wait for a machine or have someone else hovering about waiting for me to finish my set.If i use the work gym i need to go in at five in the morning to make sure i'm in there on my lonesome.
With training you need to find what works for you.
husky03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-10, 11:10 PM   #10
sauluk

Quote:
Originally Posted by TC3 View Post
I recently got back into training and looked around for a bench that would allow flat/incline use and it needed to be strong and foldable. Argos had nothing but rubbish for my needs and i ended up getting a Golds Gym bench for 60 quid from JJB Sports. It is well made and easy to adjust. I however am using it with dumbells for upper body workout. This is it

http://www.jjbsports.com/gold's-gym-...p-product/8509
Not bad but I'd need spotter catchers or a half smith to use an olympic bar with that. I'm starting to think whether this is a good idea, the garage I'd use is rented so could get booted out really and then have nowhere to store the massive / heavy kit. I'd like to keep it in the apartment but would need something that folds away and they're bound to be flimsy.