SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 06-08-17, 07:39 AM   #1051
Red ones
Mega Poster

Default Re: What have you tinkered with today?

Rear pads changed. Front callipers serviced. Rear pads did 13k (organic GG) the fronts are still going at 30k (sintered HH). Chain tightened (but looking like it's on the way out at 35k - Scottoiler topped up). Baffle fitted. Clutch adjusted. Oil changed. Lights checked. Tyres pumped up.

Now need to book the MOT.
Red ones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-17, 07:13 PM   #1052
Sir Trev
Mega Poster

My satnav mount. As a biker of the late eighties I ended up with a multi meter, crimping tool, box of assorted connectors... It took some rooting about but I found them yesterday and sussed out which of the horn connections was the switched live and that the horn bracket was a convenient neutral. The cables are about the width of a hair so I soldered some heavier gauge to the bare ends and crimped a piggy back spade to the live and a 10mm ring to the neutral. Bingo - powered nav mount. Hoorah.
Old 07-08-17, 09:25 PM   #1053
Bibio
Mega Poster

could have taken it from the sidelight before the bulb. its what i used to use before the gizmo.

also with DC electrics you dont need a 'ground' (negative) fixing. you just need to create a 'daisy chain' on the live. its only when attaching direct to the battery you need to attach a negative. cut the feed wire and put the positive on the feed end and the negative on the other end of the wire.

Last edited by Bibio; 07-08-17 at 09:50 PM.
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-17, 07:57 AM   #1054
ophic
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bibio View Post
could have taken it from the sidelight before the bulb. its what i used to use before the gizmo.

also with DC electrics you dont need a 'ground' (negative) fixing. you just need to create a 'daisy chain' on the live. its only when attaching direct to the battery you need to attach a negative. cut the feed wire and put the positive on the feed end and the negative on the other end of the wire.
Could you sketch that? Sounds like you're saying to wire stuff in series, and you really don't want to do that.
Old 08-08-17, 09:14 AM   #1055
shiftin_gear98

[QUOTE=DomP;3073364]Thanks SG, ours went through the MOT fine this time just a few minors so I'm quite pleased after the parking brake dramas. I think changing it is on the back burner for now but a mk3 is what I'd go for it think. What mpg do you get from the petrol? The newer 1.6dci is meant to be quite an improvement on the 1.5

DomP, sorry just seen this!!

It is quite a bit thirstier. It's also an auto. After breaking my foot a while back I quite liked the auto ease. Plus I'm getting older so not a boy racer anymore, and I have my kids in there too. They don't go on the bike however!

I've never been the type of person who works out mpg, or even looks at it if honest. Life's too short.
However old 1.5 diesel used to do about 450+ miles on a tank, 2.0 petrol is about 350 to a tank. It does however feel much nicer to drive with the extra oomph.

More smiles less miles.
shiftin_gear98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-17, 10:53 AM   #1056
Sir Trev
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bibio View Post

Erm, sorry Bibs, you lost me in that bit about DC electrics... I can remember my high school physics lessons where we built simple circuits but that's the limit to my knowledge.

I did look for a feed in the headlight bezel but the cables are well hidden and had little room for my ham-fisted adjustments. The horn was close by (I snipped off half the cable length that came in the TT kit) and meant I did not alter any of the stock cables at all.

It may not be the most elegant solution but it works just fine. Have to admit, you would certainly have been getting a PM from me if it all went pear shaped as we all know you're the main man for things like this.
Old 08-08-17, 11:01 AM   #1057
Richon2Wheels

Renntec mini rack fitted to my Y model in last couple of days. New handlebar grips coming as the ones that came on the Renthal bars are worn & grimy beyond cleaning fluid.

Enquired at Suzuki dealer about cost for valve clearances (fun).
Old 08-08-17, 11:23 AM   #1058
Chris_SVS

Fitted hugger purchased off another forum member

Finished fitting (I couldn't open the connectors) Bibio's gizmo and tested with my Sena 10c intercom/camera. I can now charge the unit on bike, just need to mark and drill the 28mm hole in the front cowl and run wiring under tank.

New horn to fit

General bike clean +tidy up

Collecting and fitting a QBag Dakar tail bag later on, primarily for work clothes but might do for some lightweight touring

Last edited by Chris_SVS; 08-08-17 at 11:25 AM.
Chris_SVS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-17, 05:36 PM   #1059
aj76

So a productive few hours today, Alternator failed on spare car I use for airport at the weekend so removed and fitted a replacement on that along with a new fuel filter as it was probably past due. Managed to get hold of some replacement batteries for OH mobility scooter so swapped those out in the battery unit and took it for test. She wont get left behind now taking the kids the park if we ever get any more sun
aj76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-17, 08:14 PM   #1060
Chris_SVS

Bikes off for headstock bearing replacement, I don't have the equipment to have a go at it myself
Chris_SVS is offline   Reply With Quote