SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 26-06-07, 04:09 PM   #1
Grinch

Default Extending the fuse box.

As I have fitted the ZX 636 shock to my SV this has meant that I have had to move my battery up, due to this there is not much room for my fuse box. So in order to get it to fit under the rear seat rather then the front I've had to extend it, which as you can see is no quick task.
So after I finished making my battery tray I got started with the wiring, the first cut of the current wiring was a bit scary but it was done. I know that all wire I have used is of mixed colour, but the most important thing is to ensure that a little bit of the existing wire as clear at each end. That way you can match the colours up and be sure not to mix any up.
A few of the wires where hard to join up as they had rusted and would not hold the solder, so I had to clean them up with a wire brush. Once this was done the wiring was heat shrink wrapped and prepped to wire back up to the fuse box, which I was also adding in the wiring for my new alarm.
As you can see by the final picture the whole lot was wrapped in electrical insulation tape, so it looks all nice and tidy now
All play has stopped now as it decided to start raining again, but next I need to finish off the alarm wiring and then test.
I have tested that bike fires up still so hopefully I have not screwed any of it up with a bad solder.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC00537.JPG (65.2 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg DSC00538.JPG (80.2 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg DSC00539.JPG (59.6 KB, 1 views)
Old 26-06-07, 05:47 PM   #2
haggis

Default Re: Extending the fuse box.

Job well done.

Those Suzuki looms are really poor when it comes to soldering aren't they. Seem to be made from non-OFC wire i think?

I too fitted that shock, but just cut into the battery box a little so the reservoir could get up the gap. I put the fuses (and my LED indy relay) under the battery, which sits snugly on top. The plastic fusebox tray was binned.
Old 26-06-07, 06:12 PM   #3
Baph

That's what I like to see, someone who isn't afraid of wires
Old 26-06-07, 08:49 PM   #4
muzikill
Mega Poster

It never fails to amaze me just how poorly covered the electrics on the sv are for rain getting in and why it isnt a bit more compact, there is a lot of room that they could have 'stolen' back for use under the pillion. Why couldnt all the electrics be under the riders seat! much more waterproof under there than anywhere else.
K3 Job c.v: Engine:remove/split/rebuild/refit. Replace:Gearbox,Fuel pump,Gaskets. Piston clean,rings. Overhaul:Throttle body,Injectors,Brakes,Forks. Remove/refit:Exhaust,Radiator,Oil cooler,Throttle,Air filter,Tank. Replace: Oil,Coolant,grease,brake hoses & bleed.
muzikill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-07, 08:55 PM   #5
Viney
Mega Poster

Errrr, i think you have one of the wores round the wrong way!
Viney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-07, 09:47 PM   #6
Grinch

Quote:
Originally Posted by haggis View Post
Job well done.

Those Suzuki looms are really poor when it comes to soldering aren't they. Seem to be made from non-OFC wire i think?

I too fitted that shock, but just cut into the battery box a little so the reservoir could get up the gap. I put the fuses (and my LED indy relay) under the battery, which sits snugly on top. The plastic fusebox tray was binned.
I thought about that but then this meant I could not get to the fuses easy, I liked the idea of getting to the fuses under the pillion seat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baph View Post
That's what I like to see, someone who isn't afraid of wires
Thanks... I've even wired in the alarm tonight, and it works. Though I'm still trying to sort the 'remote' start, think I figured out what the problem is though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by muzikill View Post
It never fails to amaze me just how poorly covered the electrics on the sv are for rain getting in and why it isnt a bit more compact, there is a lot of room that they could have 'stolen' back for use under the pillion. Why couldnt all the electrics be under the riders seat! much more waterproof under there than anywhere else.
Judging by the rust in 2 of the wires this might not be the case.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viney View Post
Errrr, i think you have one of the wores round the wrong way!
Wores?