SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 14-04-10, 02:11 PM   #1
markc123

Default Chain Needs constant adjustment

First off, this is all my own fault

Commuting all winter, coupled with laziness left me with a chain coated in cack, which then proceeded to develop many stiff links.

After that I noticed it was noisy and a bit tight, so I set about trying to resurrect it.

I cleaned it (took ages), worked all the stiff links out and then gave it a damn good lube.

Whats happened now is that I have had to adjust the chain 3 times in the last 1000 miles (read last week!).

Could I have killed it? Or is this just loosening as it actually becomes properly flexible again? I'm hoping I can get a while longer before having to buy a new chain and the necessary tools. A visual inspection didn't show up anything untoward, it just seems to have stretched a bit - rear axle has probably been moved back 1 whole adjustment line at the back.

How often do people lube chains? Should I be carrying lube on a 800 miler? A Scottoiler will be bought in the next few months when finances permit
Old 14-04-10, 02:26 PM   #2
Owenski

Default Re: Chain Needs constant adjustment

if you can do it then I'd just knock a link out once it gets too slack then continue using it.

On arriving home from work on friday (after a weeks commuting nearly 200miles total) I spray the bike down with patio cleaner, hose off, spray again leave 10mins (cup'o'tea and remove bike gear), go back out and hose again, wd40 all moving parts, oil all necessary parts, lube chain give brakes a good blast with disc cleaner. Job done takes 15mins tops (excluding tea break).

You on the otherhand sound like the perfect candidate for a scotoiler.
Old 14-04-10, 02:28 PM   #3
Richie
fantabulas
Mega Poster

sounds like it's dead,
measure it over 20 links, if it's longer than 12.57 inches or 319.4mm then it's gone beyond it's limit.
Old 14-04-10, 02:39 PM   #4
fizzwheel
Super Moderator
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by markc123 View Post
Could I have killed it?
More than likely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by markc123 View Post
How often do people lube chains? Should I be carrying lube on a 800 miler? A Scottoiler will be bought in the next few months when finances permit
I dont I have a scotoiler, I do occasionally clean the chain though, but I do check it regularly and leave the scotoiler to do what is does best.

On an 800 miler I'd be taking lube with me. When the oiler I had on my SV wasnt working I'd lube the chain after 150 miles or so. preferably after a run when the chain was warm. The lube seemed to get into the nooks and crannies around the rollers a little better then. It really depends on the weather, if its raining / wet or the roads are cacky then you may find you need to lube more often.

K5 GSXR 750 Anniversary Edition
fizzwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-10, 02:47 PM   #5
Stig

Quote:
Originally Posted by leedsmatt7 View Post
if you can do it then I'd just knock a link out once it gets too slack then continue using it.
Don't agree with that myself. Once the chain has stretched it becomes weak. Taking a link out is just going to put more stress on an already weakened chain and could easily see it snap.

Normally once a chain starts needing adjustment (after the initial stretch from first use) this is a good indication it is starting to wear out. The process of needing to adjust the chain slack also normally quickens as the chain stretches quicker the more it is worn. I would be looking to change the chain.
Old 14-04-10, 02:56 PM   #6
Richie
fantabulas
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by leedsmatt7 View Post
Taking links out on 43 series, CVT(T), Warrior, CR2 and other Military equiptments work as long as you have the same number of track links perside... but if it's a motocycle chain then....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stig_Of_The_Dump View Post
Don't agree with that myself. Once the chain has stretched it becomes weak. Taking a link out is just going to put more stress on an already weakened chain and could easily see it snap.

Normally once a chain starts needing adjustment (after the initial stretch from first use) this is a good indication it is starting to wear out. The process of needing to adjust the chain slack also normally quickens as the chain stretches quicker the more it is worn. I would be looking to change the chain.
as Si says, I'd not do it.

Last edited by Richie; 14-04-10 at 02:58 PM.
Richie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-10, 02:58 PM   #7
Dicky Ticker

The amount of lift on the rear sprocket should give you an indication
Old 14-04-10, 03:19 PM   #8
Owenski

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stig_Of_The_Dump View Post
sensible stuff.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richie View Post
sensible stuff.
Works on a mountain bike chain, but then again I can see what you mean the motorbike has more tourque than even good old lance armstrong.
Old 14-04-10, 03:31 PM   #9
rictus01
Mega Poster

It's knackered, you're paying the price of neglect, if a chain is allowed to dry out at any stage it'll destroy the seals and grease inside, from that moment the chain has a finite life span, requiring constant adjustment means it'll have killed the sprockets to, no matter how shiny the side plates maybe it'll make no difference to it's working ability.

Either look after these components or expect to replace them sooner, of course it's up to you, but personally I don't believe there is a safe way to extend it's life at this point, stuck at the side of the road/ destroyed engine cases...... I'd want the peace of mind of knowing these were in good condition.

Cheers Mark.
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, 'Wow! What a Ride!
rictus01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-10, 03:46 PM   #10
markc123

Cheers guys. Its got plenty of adjustment left in it and the sprockets look fine.

I'll keep it running for a week or two then grab a kit when I get paid. Seen some DID kits on the bay with the rivet tools etc, I seem set on owning bikes for the forseeable so I may as well invest in the tooling.

I now have the paddock stand which allows me to lube it far easier so no excuses this time.

Oh and what should I be looking at re the lift on the rear sprocket?

Last edited by markc123; 14-04-10 at 03:47 PM.