SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 09-11-17, 06:56 PM   #1
Colbat

Question A2 throttle stop template

I've got myself a pointy 2005, and I need to get it restricted as I'm on an A2 licence, but I don't quite feel like forking out a whole £50 for a thin sheet of metal that stops the throttle moving as far, and I'm not gonna buy a restricted ECU either, too much money.

So I'm wondering if anyone has one installed, or laying around, that they would be able to take a picture of so that I can manifest my own, I don't need any certificate of proof (pretty sure the police don't even acknowledge them?) I just need a picture of it so I can make one out of the scrap metal I have lying around.

any help would be grand, I'd even buy one off of someone for a decent price.
Until then, I'm grounded
Old 09-11-17, 07:32 PM   #2
Craig380
Mega Poster

Default Re: A2 throttle stop template

I've got one on a spare set of throttle bodies in the garage. PM me your address and I will send it to you, I don't need it. Free gratis.

No idea if it's suitable for A2 licenses, tt only allows the throttle butterflies to move to halfway open, which would be about 45 / 50bhp.
Craig380 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-17, 08:45 PM   #3
andy650

You need to get it done properly/legally, or there is little point in bothering doing it at all.

Its more an insurance thing in the event of an accident, its not really about the police.
andy650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-17, 08:57 PM   #4
Bibio
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy650 View Post
You need to get it done properly/legally, or there is little point in bothering doing it at all.

Its more an insurance thing in the event of an accident, its not really about the police.
yup agreed.

if you invalidate your insurance because you cant give proof of restriction being fitted by a qualified person then you are liable for all expenses including 3rd party, add to that you will more than likely be prosecuted and loose your licence. insurance companies will use any excuse not to pay out so dont give them one.

i hate to be a bit blunt but if you cant afford to spend £100 getting a restriction kit fitted properly then how do you expect to maintain and run the bike. or is it a case that you grudge paying what you have to.
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-17, 12:24 PM   #5
Colbat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig380 View Post
I've got one on a spare set of throttle bodies in the garage. PM me your address and I will send it to you, I don't need it. Free gratis.

No idea if it's suitable for A2 licenses, tt only allows the throttle butterflies to move to halfway open, which would be about 45 / 50bhp.
Thanks I'll pm you!
Old 10-11-17, 01:42 PM   #6
ophic
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bibio View Post
if you invalidate your insurance because you cant give proof of restriction being fitted by a qualified person then you are liable for all expenses including 3rd party, add to that you will more than likely be prosecuted and loose your licence. insurance companies will use any excuse not to pay out so dont give them one.

i hate to be a bit blunt but if you cant afford to spend £100 getting a restriction kit fitted properly then how do you expect to maintain and run the bike. or is it a case that you grudge paying what you have to.
Off topic, but:
Up to your insurance company to prove that you were not restricted and that it was a substantially contributing factor in the accident. Otherwise your contract with them stands.

Although you might have to force this via court, so for an easy life it's not recommended.

Still if you've personally modified your bike so that it outputs less than the required power limit, you're compliant. Up to anyone challenging it to prove that you're not. This is how everyone who doesn't bother with restricting gets away with it. It'd cost more to prove than to just pay out for damages. I don't like it but it's the way it is.

Aside from fuel & insurance, my bike costs £35 for MOT and £40 for changing oil & filter each year, and a few more quid to replace brake pads/chain/sprockets etc whenever required. £100 is a lot of money to chuck away when you can buy a whole bike for £850.
Old 10-11-17, 01:53 PM   #7
Bibio
Mega Poster

dont think of it as chucking £100 away think of it as a necessary part of the bike as without it you cant ride the bike no matter how much the bike costs. but hey if someone is willing to take the risk and hassle to save a few £ then bash on.
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-17, 01:58 PM   #8
Chris_SVS

Not worth the gamble, do the job properly.

6 points and no licence is dearer than restricting the bike
Chris_SVS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-17, 03:02 PM   #9
Colbat

thanks for the responses guys I'm all set now
Old 10-11-17, 05:12 PM   #10
ophic
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bibio View Post
dont think of it as chucking £100 away think of it as a necessary part of the bike as without it you cant ride the bike no matter how much the bike costs. but hey if someone is willing to take the risk and hassle to save a few £ then bash on.
All that's required is that you have a bike that is within the necessary limits. As long as it is, no-one can do anything against you.

You don't need a certificate or anything else. Actual compliance is all that's necessary. No risk. And a lot of folks don't even do that.