SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 12-11-06, 08:11 PM   #1
Rog

Default FZ6 Fazer

been offered a good deal on a new Fazer 600 (thinking of swap as wife just cant get comfy on SV )The deal is good though, so I may try and persuade her that we can keep both.

Now im going for a test ride hopefully next weekend but with it being winter I cant gaurantee that I am going to be able to push like I would like to, to test it. The reason for this post is that I have read bad reports about a snatchy throttle and narrow useful rev range in Bike, bascialy making it hard work and not a pleasure to ride. Has anyone else riden the new fazer and got any other advise / views on it??

p.s. (I have thought about corbin seats for the SV so any comments on the difference in comfort for pillions on these would also be appreciated too)
Old 12-11-06, 08:56 PM   #2
jimmybluedevil

Does she ride? Get her her own bike. How does she feel in an SV saddle?
Old 12-11-06, 10:29 PM   #3
Rog

Not at the moment and she wants to concentrate on getting her driving license first. So she can ferry the kids round. long term she does want to do it but realistically its a couple of years away yet.

Its getting to the point where she is starting to shy away from pillion due to the discomfort. She is fine when I borrow my friends thundercat which has a similiar seat to the fazer, hence its consideration. we do like to go to alot of racing, but even our local track, donington, is getting to far to go on the SV for her.
Old 12-11-06, 11:43 PM   #4
Ping

Reports from my ex is the fazer was great (I pillioned alot of miles adn did good distances before getting sore), as also reported by others with a fazer. It's a good budget bike. In all honesty I can't see how the fazer throttle can be more snatchy than the Sv. Sv's are v-twins... LOADS of low down power. I think as with all IL4's fazers are a little higher up in the rev range so a bit smoother? These are reports from the old fazer, but I'd read the new one wasn't exactly worse... by much.

Take off and nuke the site from orbit, it's the only way to be sure.

Er, sorry, I mean test ride one, it's the only way for you to be sure.

Edit: for real fazer rider opinions go here: http://p196.ezboard.com/bfazerowners
Old 12-11-06, 11:48 PM   #5
Rog

Thanks Ping. I know at the end of day its up to the individual as to what they like and dont like. IL4 are totally different to ride as I know from my friends Thundercat. I do really like the cat and it has a similar engine to the fazer so I dont think it will be to dissapointing.

Ill post my findings after the test ride.
Old 12-11-06, 11:53 PM   #6
Ping

Excellent. I dunno, the only prob I think I'd have on a fazer after the sv is the ride position. A bit too sit up and beg for me. But more comfy for a pillion... I think... I've never been a pillion on an sv.

Good luck
Old 13-11-06, 07:59 AM   #7
SoulKiss
Mega Poster

The new Fazers (post 2002 I think) use badly detuned R6 engines.

Anecdotes tell of a drying up of orders for the previous model as the new one was announced (the old Fazer was that well loved), but then post release, second hand older Fazers that had been bought just pre the new ones were selling for more than off the forecourt new ones.

Look at the offer - Infinity was offering 0% over 4 years with leathers thrown in

Why did they need to be this generous?

Dont know how accurate this is, but......
SoulKiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-06, 09:09 AM   #8
lukemillar
Mega Poster

A lot of the bike mags (well all the emap ones, which share the same opinion about everything!) have said what people have already iterated on here, but I think that you should ignore that and make up your own mind. I find it really hard to believe that Yamaha would develop a bike without anyone realising that it's not that great until it gets to the the journo's. Also, those guys hop on and off similar bikes throughout their tests and are going to notice the subtle differences.

Bottom line - go and test one yourself.
#24 - Honda VFR400R NC30
lukemillar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-06, 12:13 PM   #9
Jools'SV Now

Ah ha,

We (me and Mrs) had an FZ6 Fazer (mine) and the SV650S (hers).

When she stopped riding we sold the Fazer.

Had it for 2 years. The engine is a pain in the bum, nothing, nothing, nothing, take your head off as you climb the revs. It really does launch at 10k.

very quick when your on it but because you have to be at the top end to get it to go, it makes things jerky - rolling on and off throttle at 11-12k revs gets interesting and thrashy/noisy.

Two up it would be a nightmare. Torque and power are all 9k rev plus, she'd be head butting you all the way.

My bum would get numb before the Mrs on a trip of 2hours+ when riding seperate bikes (might have something to do with padding, ahem)

Fairing was no good for me (6ft with long body, shorter legs) very buffety.

Suspension was better though

Thundercat / Mk 2 Fazer has the much better engine and both bikes are rated by all who ride 'em. try to find one of these instead. You might even be able to get a Fazer 1000 for the same £s.

I read the initial blurb that came out at launch (whilst the journo's are being wined and dined)and thought - that'll do for me. It was only later when the press started writing the truth. Yamaha made a big boo boo with the FZ6 engine - tread carefully.

afterall, bike slaesman never give anything away - why do you think it's such a good deal? - nobody wants 'em.
Old 13-11-06, 02:47 PM   #10
minifun

I had one of the new fazers and after the SV its boring! No low down grunt - needs reving like a sports bike due to the R6 engine! I came back to the SV after one! Not bored now! lol