SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 19-07-19, 04:19 PM   #7451
Toooldtodie

Default Re: Gripe of the day - What is yours?

In the last 3 months I have had a disposable vape pen go through one rear, acted like a straw and tyre went flat VERY quickly, so replaced and 1000 miles later in the same stretch of road a newly cut key went through... 5 hours later, the recovery truck arrived from his last job in Ipswich!! FUMING>

I feel your pain.

Last edited by Toooldtodie; 19-07-19 at 04:21 PM.
Toooldtodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-19, 06:05 PM   #7452
admin
John T
Mega Poster

I've been there too. On holiday in Devon. Going round an island and heard a loud ping. Thought it was a stone flicking up. It was in fact a bloody bolt going though my new rear tyre. Massive hole, so too big for the usual fixes.

Sent from my Moto G (5) using Tapatalk
Old 20-07-19, 09:17 PM   #7453
admin
John T
Mega Poster

I use Avast Pro on my PC and the other day i got an email saying it was up for renewal. They offered me another 2 years at £39. I was fine with that.
Today i got an update saying my renewal was complete. Being a suspicious sod I logged into my account to check. Of course it was wrong and I only got one year. I complained and got a load of waffle back.
So I gave them the choice of giving me the 2 years as promised or my money back.
I then get an email saying my subscription is cancelled and my money is being refunded. ! I would have thought that they would have kept my money and altered my expiry date.

Hopeless.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
Old 21-07-19, 12:35 PM   #7454
SV650rules
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toooldtodie View Post
In the last 3 months I have had a disposable vape pen go through one rear, acted like a straw and tyre went flat VERY quickly, so replaced and 1000 miles later in the same stretch of road a newly cut key went through... 5 hours later, the recovery truck arrived from his last job in Ipswich!! FUMING>

I feel your pain.
When I am out on bike I tend to avoid areas of road that are not regularly used by other traffic, e.g.. areas near kerb, centre of lanes, and those normally 'V' shaped areas of road junctions that collect gravel and other miscellaneous crap. My rationale is that if I stick to the well used bits the chances are that because many other vehicles have passed over it that their tyres will have picked the potential puncture object up before I got there... for this reason I avoid filtering - which often takes you into those unused areas, but also takes away one of the benefits of a motorbike, still even without filtering I will get there, hopefully without a puncture which would delay me a lot.

https://www.motorcyclenews.com/new-r...der-puncrures/

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain

Last edited by SV650rules; 21-07-19 at 03:17 PM.
SV650rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-19, 02:59 PM   #7455
admin
John T
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV650rules View Post
When I am out on bike I tend to avoid areas of road that are not regularly used by other traffic, e.g.. areas near kerb, centre of lanes, and those normally 'V' shaped areas of road junctions that collect gravel and other miscellaneous crap. My rationale is that if I stick to the well used bits the chances are that because many other tyres have passed over it that their tyres will have picked the potential puncture object up before I got there...

https://www.motorcyclenews.com/new-r...der-puncrures/
It's a good point the detritus does get pushed into edges of the road.

Sent from my Moto G (5) using Tapatalk
Old 21-07-19, 04:30 PM   #7456
Adam Ef
Mega Poster

When you're cycling you're going to slow enough to see all the crap you're riding through that lives at the edge of the road and middle of junctions etc.
Adam Ef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-19, 08:10 AM   #7457
maviczap
Mega Poster

Going home from the Pyrenees today, not looking forward to going home.

Plus my car is going into the garage tomorrow, as one of the rear passenger windows dropped on the way to the airport, couldn't get it to return and did an emergency fix with bubble wrap, cling film and tape to keep the elements out. I can do without the hassle, life's complicated enough as it is
maviczap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-19, 03:28 PM   #7458
Heorot

I've been having Chemo for lung cancer for the last 2 months and was due another today. I have been breathless for the last week and today my red and white blood cell counts were too low to allow the chemo. So, it's a blood transfusion tomorrow.

And then when I got home, I failed to put the stand down properly on my drive, the bike toppled and I am too weak to lift it back up. I am hoping my garage mate will remember to stop off on the way home from work to help me stand it up again. I HATE being ill.

EDIT.

Well, he remembered and the bike is now upright but the gear shifter is bent so much that I will be impossible to change gear. Will it straighten? I will find out tomorrow.

Honda 125 CG blown engine Gone to the great mechanic in the sky
Naked SV650 K3 in Silver

Last edited by Heorot; 22-07-19 at 04:22 PM.
Heorot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-19, 04:44 PM   #7459
admin
John T
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heorot View Post
I've been having Chemo for lung cancer for the last 2 months and was due another today. I have been breathless for the last week and today my red and white blood cell counts were too low to allow the chemo. So, it's a blood transfusion tomorrow.

And then when I got home, I failed to put the stand down properly on my drive, the bike toppled and I am too weak to lift it back up. I am hoping my garage mate will remember to stop off on the way home from work to help me stand it up again. I HATE being ill.

EDIT.

Well, he remembered and the bike is now upright but the gear shifter is bent so much that I will be impossible to change gear. Will it straighten? I will find out tomorrow.
Blimey. Puts my problems into perspective. Must be very hard.
It might be a good idea to heat the lever to soften it prior to bending.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
Old 22-07-19, 06:19 PM   #7460
Sir Trev
Mega Poster

Bikes are easier to mend than people. Hope the chemo does the trick H, when you get round to starting it again.