SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 07-02-13, 02:59 PM   #1
tim0o

Default SV paint - how far does it go?

I'm considering doing some repairs on a couple of my fairings now I have a bit of spare time, i got them a while ago cheap but scratched. I've found a couple of places that sell matched paint (its a candy blue sk2) and would like to know if anyone has any experience with how far the paint will actually go.

I don't want to buy a tin/aerosol can if im not going to use the majority of it but at the same time i don't want to be short. It may sound like a stupid question but does anyone know just how much a 25ml 'touch up' pen will cover?
Old 07-02-13, 07:12 PM   #2
squirrel_hunter
Mega Poster

Default Re: SV paint - how far does it go?

The trouble with touch up paint is everyone I have seen that has used it has ended up creating their own "Ecce Homo" upon their bike...

I'd go professional if it bothers you that much.

May I add here, GG is awesome and I think I am in love with Stretchie...he rocks my world!

SH2 | 2MA | GROM | YSR
squirrel_hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-13, 10:35 PM   #3
tim0o

im not bothered enough to take it to a pro shop, but similarly im not going to go overboard on it. I understand that by doing it myself its not going to come out like new but i would like to at least try and cover the problem areas somewhat.

thats why i want to know how much space it would cover provided i don't go to town like some rampant aspiring artist.
Old 08-02-13, 10:13 AM   #4
Wideboy
Evel Knievel
Mega Poster

I dont think your going to get a definitive answer.

Same with paint, depends how much it is mixed down. For example with aerosol paint halfrauds paints are generally mixed down more than the branded stuff. Although it cheaper you'll end up saving money buying the branded stuff as you'll get better coverage.

05 DRZ400E
RIP hovis

Last edited by Wideboy; 08-02-13 at 10:16 AM.
Wideboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-13, 05:28 PM   #5
tim0o

do either of you know what sort of price would you be looking at for professional painted jobs?
Old 03-03-13, 05:35 PM   #6
Elliott

Ive just had a fully faired pointy painted in metallic for 350 including wheels and forks
Old 03-03-13, 05:41 PM   #7
Beetrootkiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliott View Post
Ive just had a fully faired pointy painted in metallic for 350 including wheels and forks
Where?! That sounds fantastic value and would like my bike painted!
Old 03-03-13, 07:51 PM   #8
squirrel_hunter
Mega Poster

Depends who you go to really. Some quotes I have had are in the region of £800+ for a bike. I have had some simple black panels sprayed and £50 each and my 2MA is going to be around £500 but that is a full front fairing, plus a tank, plus stickers, plus a little repair work. It very much depends on the panel, the damage, the paint, the painter...

May I add here, GG is awesome and I think I am in love with Stretchie...he rocks my world!

SH2 | 2MA | GROM | YSR
squirrel_hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-13, 10:47 PM   #9
Gaz.sv650

spray the lot and go a mad colour that way you dont have to worry about matching it
but just doing fairings I would get 2 cans as 1 can will probbs just be shy of 2 even coats on a pair of fairings and then you always have half a can for touch ups such as stone chips spray a little in the cap and use a paint brush
Gaz.sv650 is offline   Reply With Quote