SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 05-02-15, 07:42 PM   #1
scotty217

Default help me avoid panic and target fixation

Any good advice to avoid panic breaking especially mid corner, and to avoid staring at where the hazard is when I'm panicking. I've got a new route home from my new job. Up until now I've been doing OK on the new route, but tonight I was ****! Damp ****ty visor, damp ****ty roads, blinding head lights, and generally pizz poor judgement on three or four corners, found me actually shouting at my self to get a grip. I new what was happening at the time, I just couldn't stop doing it, or correct myself or whatever!

Please help, cos I'm pretty hacked off at myself. I'll get over myself eventually but until then

Help
Old 05-02-15, 07:53 PM   #2
Bibio
Mega Poster

Default Re: help me avoid panic and target fixation

yes, look where you want to go and not where you are going. when cornering look as far round the corner as you can. when approaching a corner is exactly the same but try and match your speed with what your brain is telling you about how fast you should be going.

you need to tech yourself to continue looking round the corner for the exit and ignore everything else. your bike will go where your eyes are looking.

have you had your eyes tested recently?
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-15, 08:01 PM   #3
Trev B

Can't give a definitive answer but,( and I'm not an Advanced Rider,but I've been riding for 45 years).youve answered your own question in part,we've ALL been there,but no 1 is remember you are on a motorcycle,and CONCENTRATE cos it's so easy to let your mind wander when it's cold and miserable,adjust to the conditions,If you have to stop and clean the visor DO IT,don't hit the front brake with too much if any real force,use the rear brake as much as possible,look at where you want to go not where your heading or been,even if you have to give yourself a running commentary as you ride.Anyway as I said its a rotten dilemma to find your self in,we've all had heart stoppers even in the dry,ride alert,ride safe mate!!!
Old 05-02-15, 08:34 PM   #4
L3nny
Mega Poster

I know it sounds a bit of a strange idea but when the weather improves a bit get yourself on a track day.

You don't have to ride fast, but practicing going around the same corners over and over, getiing a little bit quicker each time will improve your confidence in the bike no end. Pick a small track like mallory park, chat to one of the instructors and by the end of the day you'll be more confident at cornereing and have more faith in your tyres than you did before.
Old 05-02-15, 09:02 PM   #5
DJ123
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotty217 View Post
Any good advice to avoid panic breaking especially mid corner, and to avoid staring at where the hazard is when I'm panicking. I've got a new route home from my new job. Up until now I've been doing OK on the new route, but tonight I was ****! Damp ****ty visor, damp ****ty roads, blinding head lights, and generally pizz poor judgement on three or four corners, found me actually shouting at my self to get a grip. I new what was happening at the time, I just couldn't stop doing it, or correct myself or whatever!

Please help, cos I'm pretty hacked off at myself. I'll get over myself eventually but until then

Help
Up until tonight, how has your riding been? Any areas where you always feel you could be riding better?
Can you spot the errors in your riding and what you need to change?

The Roadcraft book is good to read and pick up on things you may not already know, and things to refresh your mind.

After an off & when I had a new bike I did a Bike Safe course. That gave me confidence back with the techniques & lessons. From there riding with good, confident riders made me better (feedback, technique, skills etc being shared).

BMW F800ST

Last edited by DJ123; 05-02-15 at 09:03 PM.
DJ123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-15, 09:55 PM   #6
carelesschucca
Mega Poster

sounds daft but you're a good step to sorting it out. I was always told the best way to stop target fixation is realising your doing it and adjusting.

I don't know what sort of riding you do (I guess its not pleasure at this time of year) but if you're out on a ride watching the vanishing point on the road will help . loosely It also helps judging speed. if you're coming into a bend and the furthest point you can see on the road is getting closer to you ease off. If its staying the same distance you can stay on a constant throttle. If its moving away from you can give it more gas.

it's all part of a process and I'm crap at explaining it which is why I never took my IAM any further, I can't teach for toffee. well not without showing things in practice.

sv650s (gone) gsx-r600 (gone) Street R675 (now living in Inbhir Nis )
carelesschucca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-15, 10:17 PM   #7
scotty217

Thanks to all for the advice. I definitely need to lookup away from ten feet in front of me, and a running commentary might help my concentration. I would love to do a track day, but perhaps when the weather is better. I usually ride on my own, Dean, but I m!might give further thought to my local RoSPA group, even if its just for a more in depth critique. I am coming up for the GM in August, so you can show me in person.

Thanks all once again. Feel better now.
Old 05-02-15, 10:31 PM   #8
carelesschucca
Mega Poster

You know come to think of it I do the commentary thing without thinking about it. Weird that someone saying it makes me think. Hey I do that...

sv650s (gone) gsx-r600 (gone) Street R675 (now living in Inbhir Nis )
carelesschucca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-15, 11:06 PM   #9
dean0n0

Until you know the road take it easy, especially when it's dark and damp. Try to relax, it seems a vicious circle when things are going wrong, I always use "three deep breathes" to help my frame of mind.
Old 06-02-15, 08:20 AM   #10
STRAMASHER
Mega Poster

Try using the SV's good engine braking instead of using brakes. If you are not using or worrying about using them its more time concentrating getting a safe line round the corner.

Use a lower gear ie keep in 3rd instead of 4th gently, roll off throttle. Nice smooth constant throttle round and out.

The vision thing will come with familiarisation of the route and seat time on the bike but if you slow down just a touch you will relax more and look further ahead.

Heated kit is worth every penny this time of year too.
STRAMASHER is offline   Reply With Quote