SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 11-04-15, 10:25 AM   #1
Amadeus

Default Cyclist deaths

There was an article in the paper this morning about a cyclist who had died in London. I think it said it was the 5th this year. Very sad.

It got me wondering tho about numbers of deaths and when I looked them up (https://www.gov.uk/government/upload...ator-table.xls) I read that there are 3 times as many motorcyclist deaths as cyclists.

I don't understand why a cyclist death in London makes national news but not a motorcyclist (or indeed a pedestrian or car driver).
Old 11-04-15, 10:39 AM   #2
maviczap
Mega Poster

Default Re: Cyclist deaths

Dunno, maybe its the manner of death, crushed under the wheels of a turning lorry seems to be a common cause in London?

Maybe its a stealth campaign by Gov.UK to get us all to wear crash helmets? Not that's going to help in my scenario?
maviczap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-15, 10:42 AM   #3
DJ123
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amadeus View Post
There was an article in the paper this morning about a cyclist who had died in London. I think it said it was the 5th this year. Very sad.

It got me wondering tho about numbers of deaths and when I looked them up (https://www.gov.uk/government/upload...ator-table.xls) I read that there are 3 times as many motorcyclist deaths as cyclists.

I don't understand why a cyclist death in London makes national news but not a motorcyclist (or indeed a pedestrian or car driver).

I was on a London Bike Safe course and they briefly explained something about this. It is to do with London promoting cycling as a way of travelling through the city, even though it is a dangerous way of travelling due to the way the road is shared. They do not advertise/nationalise the death of motorcyclists as they don't promote it as a way of travelling through the city & it is 'known' to be a dangerous way of travelling. I'm fairly sure that's the gist of what he was saying.
TFL are doing a big push on the Bike Safe courses & now fund a whole BikeSafe team that run a course 7 days a week within the Met Police area. All are highly trained Bike cops with plenty of years of service, top level training & do the course as a full time occupation. They do go back to standard duties when no courses are booked.

BMW F800ST
DJ123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-15, 10:52 AM   #4
Amadeus

Default Cyclist deaths

Certainly being crushed under wheels doesn't sound like a nice way to go. Interesting that the driver wasn't arrested - would that imply that the cyclist had done something wrong?

I hadn't thought about the promotion aspect DaddyJob - sounds reasonable to me.
Old 11-04-15, 10:56 AM   #5
DJ123
Mega Poster

Personally I think they need to offer a BikeSafe course to the cyclists! Seeing as they along with every other road user are bound to the highway code, yet they appear to ignore the rules the most that would otherwise protect them.

BMW F800ST
Old 11-04-15, 11:36 AM   #6
Sir Trev
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by daddyjob View Post
Personally I think they need to offer a BikeSafe course to the cyclists! Seeing as they along with every other road user are bound to the highway code, yet they appear to ignore the rules the most that would otherwise protect them.
I have cringed many times in London as I see vehicles clearly indicating to turn only to find a self-righteous and/or pompous cyclist cutting them up and shouting as if they owned the road. Many often streak along too meaning vehicles can't easily see them in time. We need a modern version of the cycling proficiency test I did at primary school all those years ago but I fear the loutish minority will just ignore it and carry on until they're the one under a truck's Pirelli.
Old 11-04-15, 11:44 AM   #7
maviczap
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Trev View Post
I have cringed many times in London as I see vehicles clearly indicating to turn only to find a self-righteous and/or pompous cyclist cutting them up and shouting as if they owned the road. Many often streak along too meaning vehicles can't easily see them in time. We need a modern version of the cycling proficiency test I did at primary school all those years ago but I fear the loutish minority will just ignore it and carry on until they're the one under a truck's Pirelli.
Yes & there's the cyclists who don't appreciate that the driver can't see them.

There's been lots of publicity to improve awareness on both sides, plus devices to warn drivers that some stupid cyclist is sitting in his blind spot.

I don't blame the drivers, as a cyclist I blame the stupid cyclists.

You'll not get adults to go on a cycling proficiency test., it was for children.

Only when the Goodyear is rolling over their head will they understand its not wise to creep up the inside of a big lorry at a junction
maviczap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-15, 12:02 PM   #8
DJ123
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Trev View Post
I don't think a test is needed, but enforcement of the laws they break on a regular basis and dangerous manoeuvres (red lights, speeding, undertaking . . . to name a few).
We keep being told that most cyclists also have a car license. From this you have to decipher are they awful car drivers as well, or they just forget everything they know when they are on a bike?

BMW F800ST
Old 11-04-15, 12:11 PM   #9
pookie

I know the lorry drivers hate the deliveries in london. The cyclists funnel left and right and pretty much stop the flow of traffic causing the juggernauts behind then to shuffle along. The problem also is the lack of awareness of blind spots by cyclists, hence labels on the back of vehicles warning of the dangers of undertaking etc.

Realistically the roads in the city arent wide enough with no escape route for cyclists / margin of error for drivers.
Its sad to see as riding is the best way to travel around the city ( unless you're on a boris bike in which case it can be tiresome and down right dangerous)
Now - 2010 Triton blue sv650s -Back to the future
pookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-15, 01:00 PM   #10
Littlepeahead
Mega Poster

The Evening Standard do also report deaths of motorcyclists but they are campaigning for safer cycling so tend to focus on any cyclist badly injured or killed.

It seems to most often be the case of tipper trucks turning left, cyclist trying to get ahead at the lights and gets run over as they are in the blind spot. Quite a few this year and often at known accident blackspots. Cyclists don't seem to help themselves on this one. If you've ever sat in a huge truck in the driver's seat you'd understand just how little visibility they have in some areas.