SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 08-07-15, 10:43 PM   #11
nutzboutbikes

Default Re: Best security

A good ground anchor and chain is best Imo, as with most things spend as much as you can and buy some thing proven/insurance approved.
Old 10-07-15, 03:20 PM   #12
7755matt

Thankfully my house is not on a main road, and I don't leave the bike outside. I run it ticking over with the door shut in the morning to get it warm, and only stop on the drive to wait for the door to shut, as I get home I zap teh garage door and ride straight up the drive and back into the garage. Bike is on view for less than 5 minutes tops. Garage door is closing before I turn the engine off.

At work, its a small car park in front of the main building, bikes are parked right outside the front door. There are often people wandering in and out to the smoking shelters. I'd like to think there's no chance anyone would try and get a bike from work. I only work 8-4 so there's no late night working. I have a disc lock for at work. I may get another chain for work and leave it behind the reception desk.

At home there's now an alarmed disc lock and a chain that goes through the rear wheel and over the seat so nothing on the floor. I will eventually get a ground anchor - stupid question but are they really difficult to move - the bike may be moving to a different part of the garage sometime. I could get a second one, but the original would have to be removed
7755matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-15, 03:25 PM   #13
ophic
Mega Poster

This

bike and doggy by Bob Goddard, on Flickr
Old 10-07-15, 06:46 PM   #14
Swin

I have the sold secure ground anchor, and the procedure for fitting this involved banging small lead ballbearings into the allen heads after you have screwed it down into the floor, so that it can't easily be lifted - I guess you could skip this step to make it re-siteable at a later date, but I'd imagine any insurance cover provided by the anchor manufacturer would be voided by not following the installation procedure correctly.
Got anything large and bulky that you could pass the chain thru until you decide where to locate the anchor permanently perhaps?
Old 10-07-15, 07:45 PM   #15
Dave20046
Mega Poster

almax chain for overnight/left at work (not v mobile) , pricey though - there's a second hand one on ebay at £110 currently.
Loop through frame and something immovable/cuttable
Old 10-07-15, 08:12 PM   #16
yokohama

I think Pragmasis now do a removable ground anchor. Their stuff is pretty solid and on a par with Almax.
yokohama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-15, 02:12 PM   #17
Littlepeahead
Mega Poster

We have a beer fridge in the garage next to my bike but I also use it to store my cheese. Mr LPH reckons some of the stuff I buy smells so bad that it would deter any thief from entering the garage to try and steal the bikes. There doesn't appear to be a tick box for 'ripe stinking bishop' on my insurance document for security devices. But I will admit that it does sometimes smell like a morgue rather than a garage.