SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

2010 Annual Rideout Discussions & info on the 2010 SV650.org's annual rideout

Old 30-07-10, 11:30 PM   #11
-Ralph-

Default Re: Route Doon!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Flame View Post
Although part of me is thinking to get the miles under the belt to Carlisle and then go off the motorway
That makes sense, you'll dispatch that section of motorway in 40 minutes, but knock 60 miles off the journey in that time.
Old 30-07-10, 11:34 PM   #12
-Ralph-

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Ralph- View Post
That makes sense, you'll dispatch that section of motorway in 40 minutes, but knock 60 miles off the journey in that time.
What I mean is take the route to Moffat, which from the Forth bridge, on a bike, you'll do that just as quickly as you could on the M8/M74 anyway, them motorway that 60 mile chunk from Moffat to Gretna, before splitting back off to Brampton and having brunch at the Hartside cafe.
Old 30-07-10, 11:36 PM   #13
Blue Flame
Mega Poster

That def sounds like a plan !!!

Previous >> K3 SV650S - Candy Copper;Lower Fairing Set;Fender Extender; Powerbronze Screen; HEL Braided Lines;
Blue Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-10, 08:13 AM   #14
timwilky
Mega Poster

I was chatting with Davepreston yesterday over coffee and no beer as he is feeling poorly (aaawww), we were thinking M6 to Warrington as there is no real route there otherwise and then jumping on the A49 down.

I guess this is going to be the way for most people north of the venue.
Old 31-07-10, 11:33 AM   #15
MR UKI (1)

I would definitely do the A49. From Sandiway (near Northwich) down there are very few large towns to go through as most are now by-passed. It's a cracking run down. Unfortunately for me living in Macc now the best route for me doesn't see me picking up the 49 until north of Shrewsbury, but I'm going back up on the Sunday all the way up the A49 and calling at the olds in Northwich.

Last edited by MR UKI (1); 31-07-10 at 11:35 AM.
Old 31-07-10, 03:05 PM   #16
-Ralph-

OK, ignore my comments about the A49, these guys are local and know it better than I do. I have found it a bit of a crawl on the few occasions I ahve used it (wife lived in Northwich when I met her) but maybe I was just catching it at the wrong time of day.
Old 31-07-10, 04:39 PM   #17
MR UKI (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Ralph- View Post
OK, ignore my comments about the A49, these guys are local and know it better than I do. I have found it a bit of a crawl on the few occasions I ahve used it (wife lived in Northwich when I met her) but maybe I was just catching it at the wrong time of day.
It can be at times as people will use it as alternative to the M6/M5 at busy periods. But there are plenty of sections where overtaking is relatively easy if you're unfortunate to find a HGV in front of you summat. The road surface is generally good too, last time I was down the bit between Oulton Park and Whitchurch it had been resurfaced and was awesomely smooth. If I was off on Friday I would detour across to Northwich and run down it from there, but unfortunately I'm working a full day so will be doing the most direct route from Macc and picking it up at Shrewsbury . Given the option of the M6/M5 I would take the 49 every time
Old 31-07-10, 09:34 PM   #18
Blue Flame
Mega Poster

Thanks for all the input guys.

I will take the A49 cos I hate motorways with a passion when on the bike.

I always look on the trip down as part of the fun of the weekend and am really looking forward to setting off.

Previous >> K3 SV650S - Candy Copper;Lower Fairing Set;Fender Extender; Powerbronze Screen; HEL Braided Lines;
Blue Flame is offline   Reply With Quote