SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 25-06-08, 07:22 PM   #1
zunkus

Default Which zoo in SW Scotland?

I'd like to take the kids to a zoo preferably in SW of Scotland but willing to travel should anything worthwhile pops up. Can someone help with this. Also would like some help as to what I shouldn't miss on my visit. I'll be spending a week near the Fort William area. Kids would like to climb Glencoe so that's one day for that. I was thinking of visiting a theme park with a roller coaster, that's the wife's wish to get the adrenalin rush, no wonder she likes to ride pillion. I wouldn't ride that for a thousand pounds. Well any help with sites etc would be grateful. The kids are 14, 16 and 19.
Old 25-06-08, 08:36 PM   #2
kitkat

Default Re: Which zoo in SW Scotland?

edinburgh zoo is good. sea life centre at oban is alright. theme parks in scotland for older kids - nope.

http://www.activitypoint.co.uk/
Old 25-06-08, 08:52 PM   #3
zunkus

Thanks KitKat. Edinburgh zoo looks great. I've noted that one down. So there's no rollercoasters for the missus?
Old 25-06-08, 09:26 PM   #4
Tiger 55

Quote:
Originally Posted by zunkus View Post
Kids would like to climb Glencoe
They wont need crampons, Glencoe is a valley! Maybe they could climb Ben Nevis instead...

On the roller coaster front there's Tornado, Mine Train, Tsunami and The Express all at M&Ds in Strathclyde Park near Motherwell. It's Coaster Town, North Lanarkshire I tell you! Then there's The Rat and Twist & Shout at Loudon Castle. Just watch out for neds.

And +1 on Edinburgh Zoo.

Have fun!

Last edited by Tiger 55; 25-06-08 at 09:36 PM.
Old 26-06-08, 04:56 PM   #5
TEC

There's also Blair Drummond safari park, bit closer (though not that much) to Fort William which is considered to be (mid to) NW Scotland
Old 01-07-08, 11:50 AM   #6
zunkus

Sorry Tiger, I did mean Ben Nevis. Thanks for the great info. I'll check these out in google and google earth for distances.
Old 01-07-08, 11:57 AM   #7
Camel

+1 for Edinburgh Zoo!
Old 01-07-08, 12:02 PM   #8
gettin2dizzy

I thought Scotland WAS a zoo??!
Old 01-07-08, 05:55 PM   #9
Tiger 55

Quote:
Originally Posted by zunkus View Post
Sorry Tiger, I did mean Ben Nevis. Thanks for the great info. I'll check these out in google and google earth for distances.
An apology is most definitely not required old boy, just enjoy yourself and be aware the weather can change on the Ben like that [snaps fingers].

And don't worry too much about the distances involved, it's all quite close to the place you're renting a bike from...
Old 01-07-08, 09:04 PM   #10
appollo1
Mega Poster

+1 for Edinburgh zoo and it's on a hill as well so you can get some extra hiking in!!!
appollo1 is offline   Reply With Quote