SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Hardware Post your own reviews, opinions and experiences on this subject.

Old 15-06-11, 12:08 PM   #1
Owenski

Default Dogcam Bullet Cam 720p HD - Tried and Tested.

Ok I know there are a few of you on here, who like me have previously made quiries about "which helmet/bike camera should I use" Generally those looking for these bits of kit I would assume would have a similar budget to me and realistically want to spend no more than £100.

After reading a few things on here, reviews, problems and recommedations etc, I spent some further time looking online. Hoping to come across one of those devices with a small screen to preview / review your footage. However those packages generally seemed to start at around £300 and were way out of my price range. So with some sceptisism I gave dogcam a call and inquired about their bulletcam HD -

Thinking to myself it cant be that amazing if its only £100 then regardless of been convinced that I was still about to buy a gimic, I accepted thier price of £107 for the camera inc a 4GB microSD card.
As promised it arrived the following morning and I began by plugging it in for a charge, I gave the instructions a read whilst dropping the kids off at the pool. Finished both those tasks and returned to the camera, searched for what felt like hours (as long as it took me to finsih my coffee) for a bloody LED indicator showing me it was charging and in the end gave up - plenty of other stuff to do that day.

Later that evening returned to the dogcam and continued my search for the illusive LED, then assuming the charge had worked I thought it best I tried a test film. So while all the time repeating that "this will never work, why have I wasted my money etc etc" Test film filmed, connected to lap top and bingo - about 12 little movies which I'd unknowingly been making all evening, most of which seemed to be up my nostrils, which are just as loverly in HD.

Pleased that it did infact work I then weighed up my options for returning it based on it having no LED, until I turned the living room light off and saw in my hand a small blue light been immited from its side.... what is this I have here then? AH HA! LED I have found you. Satisfied with the feeling that I'd discovered the new lost world I started to worry about where on my bike/person I could mount the thing.

Realising if mounted on the bike and forgotten about I'd be leaving it parked up in leeds all day I decided it best that I mount it to me instead. Helmet seemed the most logical place so out came the mounts provided - A very nice selection of sticky back velcro, solid plastic and other velcro helmet/bag/google mounting attachments are included along with a vented rear cap to allow for sound (looses waterproof seal if this cap is used).

Anyway once mounted on my lid I didnt feel too confident with the hold so added a healthy supply of additional gaffer tape to reinforce the glue on the back of the velcro.

With it all connected up I just needed an excuse to test it out, so whilst out for work yesterday on a tree lined route I reached up and tapped the 1 touch on/off button and away we went. Very easy to operate when on the move as the button is distinct enough to feel through gloved fingers.

This the video filmed. - Dont forget to switch to 720p on the viewing settings.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=00KY7c3kR_o

The video is very crisp, colours are true to life and it even coped brilliantly with the transition from light to dark through the trees. My biggest complaint is the wind noise buzz from the waterproof cap, I have however read that with the open backed cap the noise is clear and crisp too.

Conclusion, for a budget helmet cam kit - this is the one. It does it all and it does it with that perfect simplcity which can only come from fantastic design, plus a includes a boat load of quality extras.

Sales Link:
http://www.dogcamsport.co.uk/dogcam-...hd-camera.html

Last edited by Owenski; 15-06-11 at 12:11 PM.
Old 15-06-11, 05:20 PM   #2
Gabriel2k

Default Re: Dogcam Bullet Cam 720p HD - Tried and Tested.

I've got one of these two and like you say the picture is good and crisp, the other cap is waterproof too just down to 1.5 meters instead of 10 meters...I only have two issues with it:

1. As you point out the LED is hard to see so it can be difficult to check if you have turned it on when out.
2. Sometimes when you mount it you can have it pointed in completely the wrong direction and not know because of the lack of screen.
Old 20-03-12, 10:43 PM   #3
Sabarius

I'm seriously looking at one of these, I'm wondering though is it possible to mount on the side of a helmet? I'm assuming that would make the picture 90 degrees round the wrong way?
Old 22-03-12, 09:07 AM   #4
Owenski

Default Re: Dogcam Bullet Cam 720p HD - Tried and Tested.

Na the mount will allow it, you can rotate the camera within the plastic mount.
IMO though - dont buy it.
The design isnt great, save and buy a contour.
Old 24-03-12, 03:58 PM   #5
Sabarius

Ta for the reply, is the contour a bit big for a helmet though? Seems a bit unwieldy
Old 25-03-12, 10:17 PM   #6
Owenski

I did think the same but in honesty no its only marginally bigger.
If you get the go-pro then yes it's unsightly and people will try to steal your helmet but the images they get will be top notch. The Contour is a close 2nd place though and is as the name suggests, designed to fit to the contours of an object so it's appearance is subtle . I'm saving for one as we speak, got fed up of recording nothing on the dog cam cos I didn't know if I'd switched it on or off. Same with battery life, no screen or anything means no warning of low bat/memory.
The dog cam wasn't terrible it just wasn't as great as I expected it to be. Wen you look at the price etc it's actually brilliant value for the money but if you're gonna spend £100 you may as well save and spend £300 but get the right tool for the job.