SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 05-03-06, 10:17 AM   #1
Grinch

Default The M25 Speed cameras

Why is it even though the M25 has speed cameras by the dozen I still see people go though them over 70 and not get flashed?
Is there something about the cameras that I don't know?
Do they not work at specific times of the day?
Or is there some special trick I know nothing about?
Old 05-03-06, 10:45 AM   #2
jonboy

Apparently they don't flash till 80, so with most speedos reading a little proud, that'd be 85 for most vehicles. However, try this at your own risk .

Old 05-03-06, 10:49 AM   #3
Grinch

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonboy
Apparently they don't flash till 80, so with most speedos reading a little proud, that'd be 85 for most vehicles. However, try this at your own risk .

I don't think I'll be trying that... with me 9 points, still got another year or so left. I think?
Old 05-03-06, 11:37 AM   #4
trickywoos

Yeah, but watch out when going through the road works. I swear there is one there that flashes, no matter what speed you are doing.
Old 05-03-06, 12:11 PM   #5
falc

Not all the sections on the M25 have a speed camera. Although it has the sign up and the speed sign underneath not all of them have them.

Though I could be and most probably will be wrong
Old 05-03-06, 01:00 PM   #6
Stig

All the way through the variable speed limit section they are located up on the gantries. There are markings on all of the gantries but not camera's. The camera's are moved periodically, so you can never be sure exactly which of the gantries have the cameras. They are also linked to the restricted speeds and can be set according to the speed limit set at the time.

I am almost convinced that the cameras in the variable speed zone, when there are no restrictions are set to trigger at 80mph.
Old 05-03-06, 01:17 PM   #7
Grinch

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigApe
They are also linked to the restricted speeds and can be set according to the speed limit set at the time.
That bit I didn't know...
Old 05-03-06, 01:26 PM   #8
Jelster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grinch
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigApe
They are also linked to the restricted speeds and can be set according to the speed limit set at the time.
That bit I didn't know...
Well that's how they enforce the variable limit... Which runs from the M40 anti-clockwise to the A3.

I think it's urban myth, but it is said that somebody went from 0 to 12 points my gettinig hit 4 times in a few minutes on that stratch of the M25.

Old 05-03-06, 01:37 PM   #9
tigersaw
Mega Poster

Used to see them twinkling in the distance at night-time when using the western stretch a lot, but not at all for a long time, maybe the new generation are using infra-red illumination? Certainly the original camera flash strobes are no longer there, and the cameras themselves look a lot smaller.
tigersaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-06, 01:56 PM   #10
DanAbnormal

I was out with a mate a while back and we had t go down the m25. We went through one gantry just as the speed changed from national to 50, it was too late to do anything safe and we went through at about 82mph, I think I must have been doing 79 as my mate got the letter about a week later but 4 months on and still I got nothing. Not all camera's flash, this one certainly did not. So be careful. However, I use the m25 almost every day and I still see bikes/big posh cars doing well over 90 through the gantries. Surely they cannot all be stolen vehicles!