SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 18-04-18, 10:38 PM   #1
SixFiddy

Default Pointy SV650 Footpeg/Brake Pedal Bolt keeps getting loose

Tightening said bolt too much disallows the brake pedal from returning upwards and tightening it just enough to allow the brake pedal to move freely results in the bolt working itself loose again (the brake pedal and footpeg move around way too freely).

What's the trick to getting it to stay put?

Thanks in advance
Old 18-04-18, 11:06 PM   #2
garynortheast
Mega Poster

Default Re: Pointy SV650 Footpeg/Brake Pedal Bolt keeps getting loose

Threadlock.
garynortheast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-18, 01:12 AM   #3
Bibio
Mega Poster

newer pointys rely on the rear brake light switch spring to return the brake lever. to get this to work properly you must keep the brake lever bolt well greased. do not use copper grease, CV (moly) grease is the best but if you dont have that then good old regular bearing grease, if you dont have any of those then chain lube will do as long as you re lube every service by spraying it at the joints of the lever.

the other option is to buy the older (K3) type return spring and fit that.
Bibio is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-18, 09:16 AM   #4
SixFiddy

Tried blue loctite, although I haven't greased it in a while. I'll try that. Thanks for the replies
Old 20-04-18, 08:00 AM   #5
mikerj

The brake pedal shouldn't bind up up when you fully tighten the foot peg bolt. Is it the original Suzuki brake lever or an after-market part? If the latter then you may need to take a file to the pivot area and slim it down by a small amount to prevent it binding.
mikerj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-18, 12:51 PM   #6
SixFiddy

Come to think of it, I've only had this problem since replacing the brake lever with an aftermarket/pattern one... I guess it's time to order some files. Makes me think that I should've just bought some CNC rearsets
Old 20-04-18, 04:08 PM   #7
mikerj

You could just use some emery paper or maybe even coarse wet and dry paper on a flat, hard surface. It's an alloy lever so not hard to remove material. At a pinch you could probably even scrape it with e.g. a stanely blade.

Just make sure you clean out the bushing afterwards and re-grease.
Old 23-04-18, 11:34 AM   #8
lazygit

Had the exact same problem myself a week ago when replacing rear brake pedal. Solved it by tightening the bolt to correct torque and then loosened the brake light adjuster situated behind the foot rest bracket.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
lazygit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-18, 04:05 PM   #9
mikerj

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazygit View Post
Had the exact same problem myself a week ago when replacing rear brake pedal. Solved it by tightening the bolt to correct torque and then loosened the brake light adjuster situated behind the foot rest bracket.
If your brake light switch was screwed down so far that it prevented the pedal returning fully, then loosening or tightening the pivot bolt wouldn't help.
Old 23-04-18, 06:18 PM   #10
lazygit

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikerj View Post
If your brake light switch was screwed down so far that it prevented the pedal returning fully, then loosening or tightening the pivot bolt wouldn't help.

I think that’s the point I was hoping to get across but probably didn’t go into enough detail! I didn’t want the OP getting sidetracked by types of thread grease and brake levers - which are still useful and relevant - because it wasn’t the bolts that were the problem. I realised after tightening the footrest pivot bolts that the brake light switch adjuster was too tight and was not allowing the pedal to return fully. Loosening it solved the problem completely while still leaving the bolts tightened to the correct torque.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
lazygit is offline   Reply With Quote