SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 07-04-18, 09:27 AM   #1
darrentwins

Default gladius problem

hello, I am new to bikes in the sense i have had my first bike for a year (gladius 09) and know very little about them. I'm having a problem, there is no power to ignition. Battery is good and all fuses are ok...and that's about my limit..I need help in what to check next and how to check....Like i say I'm new to this so please be patient with my lack of knowledge and any help would be very much appreciated..
Old 07-04-18, 10:28 AM   #2
maviczap
Mega Poster

Default Re: gladius problem

Check the connection to the ignition which is probably under the tank.

By good battery, how do you know this?
maviczap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-18, 12:28 PM   #3
SV650rules
Mega Poster

If it is original battery it may well not be OK - when you say no power to ignition do you mean it turns over but will not start because no spark, or does not turn over - does the headlight come on when key is in 'on' position ?

Try the kill switch ( I never use it because when I did on a couple of bikes it gave problems and needed a bit of fiddling (taking apart and fixing) to get it to complete the circuit again, I just turn the key off now to stop engine ).

There are a few switches in the ignition circuit, ( one on the clutch lever - maybe only on L7) and one on the prop stand as well as the kill switch by throttle grip.

try this wiring diagram for SFV..

http://www.classiccycles.org/media//...a0ffffe415.pdf

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain

Last edited by SV650rules; 07-04-18 at 12:47 PM.
SV650rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-18, 01:06 PM   #4
darrentwins

Hi and Thanks
I know it's a good battery because it's just new and has full charge.
Iturn key and get nothing at all. I turned key first thing yesterday and it turned lights on on dash, done it's little test then like a fuse blew and nothing..I have checked all the fuses i can find...sorry i'm useless..but i'll keep trying everything offered
Old 07-04-18, 03:09 PM   #5
maviczap
Mega Poster

Like SV rules says, even though the battery may be new, it could still die, especially in the recent cold weather.

Its such a small battery, it doesn't take much to stop it turning the engine over

If a fuse did blow, you have an electrical fault somewhere.

Not my best subject I'm afraid

We need a bit more detail on what happens when you turn the key on now
maviczap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-18, 03:47 PM   #6
SV650rules
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by darrentwins View Post
Hi and Thanks
I know it's a good battery because it's just new and has full charge.
Iturn key and get nothing at all. I turned key first thing yesterday and it turned lights on on dash, done it's little test then like a fuse blew and nothing..I have checked all the fuses i can find...sorry i'm useless..but i'll keep trying everything offered
Did you check fuses visually or with a multi-meter (sometimes fuses can look as though they are OK but will not pass current) ? Due to fact it happened suddenly and did not appear to blow a fuse it may be a broken wire in the region where cables get bent and flexed (was failing anyway and then an extra bit of load blew the last strand).

Sometimes no other way really than to check every plug and socket and their condition, give the wires going into plugs and sockets a little tug just to make sure wire and crimp has not parted company, you can use a multi-meter or a 5w 12V (or larger wattage if you like) with wire soldered on and one wire earthed and use the other wire to track the flow of power past each plug, I have used a dressmakers or safety pin pushed into cable through insulation to check stuff before, it is useful sometimes to check if power actually getting through plug / socket while they still plugged in.

If you can get hold of ACF50 many people on here regularly squirt a bit into plugs and sockets to prevent future corrosion, I have used vaseline before when nothing else around (use it on battery terminals as well).

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
Old 08-04-18, 12:03 PM   #7
Heorot

I have a K3 and there is a switch under the clutch lever and another in the stand. The clutch lever switch on my bike failed . Turning the ignition on, but the bike wouldn't start. If SV650rules K7 has the switch, then it's almost certain that your Gladius has too.

Honda 125 CG blown engine Gone to the great mechanic in the sky
Naked SV650 K3 in Silver
Heorot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-18, 02:17 PM   #8
SV650rules
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seeker View Post
Are you now saying that you no longer have power to the instrument panel? No lights etc? If that is the case you need to check the main fuse, it is separate from the other fuses and is located with the starter relay.

This link shows the under seat of the Gladius:

https://www.google.co.uk/search?rlz=...AA-Y8ha6AADOM:

The main fuse is located just to the right of the red positive battery terminal under the translucent cover, there is a spare fuse located there too. The fuse is rated at 30A.

If a 30 amp fuse has blown it may well blow again if you replace it without finding the fault, sounds like a short circuit somewhere, maybe a cable insulation rubbed away?

Old 08-04-18, 06:57 PM   #9
darrentwins

I have replaced that fuse with no luck..Thank you but I think i am gonna have to try again from the beginning, but im at work till thursday now so wont get a chance till then.
Old 08-04-18, 06:59 PM   #10
darrentwins

i have replaced the 30amp fuse with no luck....but that's the case no instrument lights or lights or anything...Thank you