SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 08-04-18, 08:29 PM   #11
yokohama

Default Re: gladius problem

Even though it's new, check the battery - it may not be holding its charge or not putting enough power out.. Always good to start with that and work outwards.
Double check both leads and the earth. Then get a multimeter and measure the charge across the terminals with the ignition off and then with the ignition on. I can't remember off the top of my head what the figures should be but if you post them up here, I'm sure someone more clued up on electrics than me can advise.
yokohama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-18, 09:58 AM   #12
R1ffR4ff
Mega Poster

One of my old contributors on another forum made a great page for anyone new to using a Multimeter to track problems,

http://www.genebitsystems.com/david/...ical/index.htm

and some of the other links on the page will be useful even though they are for a different Motorcycle.

HTH

Last edited by R1ffR4ff; 09-04-18 at 09:59 AM.
R1ffR4ff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-18, 08:45 PM   #13
NedSVS

If the Gladius is like the SV's then the ignition switch goes to a green connector block under the tank. The main live terminal tends to overheat and only gets worse with time - so perhaps check that. My SV developed the no power intermittently problem and this was the cause - the plastic around the connection was showing signs of heat damage. Other people on the forum have reported this problem and it is common practice to remove the offending wire and connect it directly outside of the original connector (I crimped and soldered mine), but of course you should make sure it is really well insulated.
NedSVS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-18, 07:19 AM   #14
SV650rules
Mega Poster

I have often used a 12 volt bulb with some wires soldered on, (up to 21 watt) - I earth the one cable and go poking around the circuit with a safety pin on the other which means you can poke the pointed end through cable insulation and check the circuit with plugs still connected, the other benefit is that the bulb actually draws current (about 1.5amps) which a multimeter does not. The voltmeter and ohmeter are such high impedance that they only pass milli-amps through cables and plugs, which in most cases will not detect a corroded joint unless it is really bad, your eye can judge the brightness of a bulb as a 10% drop in voltage means a 20% drop in light output.

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
SV650rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-18, 09:58 AM   #15
darrentwins

Hello again and Thank you all for your response. I'm still having difficulties (it's freezing and my hands are cold) This is a pic i've just taken and wondered what the cables are to the right of battery that isn't connected to anything and the female connector just above fuse box tucked in. Don't suppose........
Old 12-04-18, 09:58 AM   #16
darrentwins

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B3D...ew?usp=sharing
Old 12-04-18, 01:40 PM   #17
Bibio
Mega Poster

have you fitted a tail tidy?
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-18, 03:47 PM   #18
darrentwins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bibio View Post
have you fitted a tail tidy?
I haven't fitted anything....but I don't know what a tail tidy is so can't say...sorry i know i'm useless and if i could i would take it to a bike mechanic but only one i've found in my home town (Carlisle) charged me £250 for a service so thought it might be really expensive to get someone out to my house as i can't transport it...
Old 13-04-18, 11:38 AM   #19
SV650rules
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by darrentwins View Post
i know i'm useless and if i could i would take it to a bike mechanic
Everyone starts off as useless but the desire to learn makes them useful. Every day in life is a school day with lessons to be learned, but some people who think they already know it all (and were miraculously born that way ) miss many opportunities to learn. There will always be fresh problems arising but the more things you have messed with and investigated the more likely you are to be able to solve them.

As I said I have solved many problems with a light bulb, some cable soldered on and a pin on one end and went around sticking it through cable insulation until I found a place where bulb should have lit up but did not - no fancy meters or skill in using them needed and soldering irons are pretty cheap and always useful to have one in the toolbox.

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
SV650rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-18, 07:49 AM   #20
darrentwins

first of all i would like to thank you all for your patience and advice. I have now got bike running. I got a 'friend of a friend' to have a look and we tested battery - correct voltage...we tested all fuses and connections - all good.
I bought a new relay/starter, fitted it and same problem....I went to a dealer who said new battery, I told him we had put a tester on it and volts were good...he told me volts can be good but no amps...I don't even know what that means but i was desperate so bought a new battery and it only bloody worked how can a battery be looking ok but not actually working?....to be honest i dont care anymore i'm back on the road and going for a little blast...thanks again everyone and stay safe...wheeeeee