SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 28-04-07, 01:16 PM   #1
Ed

Default If I can ride a bike at warp speed...

...why can't I jump off the top board at the swimming pool? Here in Shrewsbury we have a terrific swimming pool that has water 4m deep, (13 feet) and three diving boards, low middle and high. I can do the middle one (about 3 metres high) no problem, and bounce off it to get even higher, but the top one - about 5 metres, maybe a bit more - terrifies the crap out of me, I just can't do it And I stand and watch these little kids running over the cliff and wish I had the bottle.

Suggestions?

Last edited by Ed; 28-04-07 at 01:26 PM.
Old 28-04-07, 01:34 PM   #2
ASM-Forever

Default Re: If I can ride a bike at warp speed...

As repayment for your sound legal advice i will give you some in return.

Don't hang around when you are up there, just jump down, the old pencil drop is good for the non-divers...just make sure to keep your legs together

Also if attempting to impress the sun bathing beauties on the side, with a cheeky 'your going to get splashed' bomb, dont do it when wet and have your hands slip from your knees, turning the bomb into a backflop....hurts like hell and definitely assaults your game
Old 28-04-07, 01:35 PM   #3
ASM-Forever

Or just get loaded.....drinking and swimming doesnt mix though...or so they say.
Old 28-04-07, 03:23 PM   #4
kitkat

stop being a wuss and jump. lol. I learned to swim 2 weeks before joining wrens and had to jump off top board of pool - granted not as high as that - in a boiler suit and tred water for 5 min. I couldnt do it and was eventually pushed, did a huge belly flop and I was red from neck to toes. Last summer i did a tandem sky dive though 10500 feet ie 2.5 miles up
Old 28-04-07, 03:43 PM   #5
Alpinestarhero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed View Post
...why can't I jump off the top board at the swimming pool? Here in Shrewsbury we have a terrific swimming pool that has water 4m deep, (13 feet) and three diving boards, low middle and high. I can do the middle one (about 3 metres high) no problem, and bounce off it to get even higher, but the top one - about 5 metres, maybe a bit more - terrifies the crap out of me, I just can't do it And I stand and watch these little kids running over the cliff and wish I had the bottle.

Suggestions?
I'll gie you the same incentive my dad gave me.

"If you jump off the top diving board son, I'll give you a quid"

I got my quid when i was 18!

Matt
Old 28-04-07, 05:39 PM   #6
northwind
Mega Poster

I learned to dive at Edinburgh's Commonwealth pool, which was built for the games and so as well as the high board also has the very high board and the too high board... 5, 7.5 and 10m I think. Never did manage to dive off the top, I did do a few straight drops to try and psyche myself up but a proper dive was not forthcoming. And so ended my olympic career

That could be me on the top board... "Nah... Maybe tomorrow"
But we're oh so easily swayed"
northwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-07, 08:01 PM   #7
darylB

Why don't you wear your back protector, you seem to be faster on the bike since you bought it so it might enable you to take the plunge off the top board.

Daryl
Old 28-04-07, 08:11 PM   #8
Cloggsy

Ed, age is the killer here... Knowledge of 'what might happen' is what makes you scared... Kids don't have the knowledge of, or the perception of possible injury, adults do...

As for jumping off a diving board, stuff that
Old 29-04-07, 08:18 AM   #9
K

Cloggsy's right - so the answer is obviously to act like a kid.

I do it all the time - it's amazing what you can achieve when in the deluded ignorance of the fact that you probably shouldn't/couldn't be doing it.
Old 29-04-07, 08:39 AM   #10
Blue_SV650S

Its natural to not want to jump ... when I was a kid I went up the top and looked down ... NO-WAY!! ... but after about 5 little kids (ok smaller kids ) did it I just bit the bullet and did it. I did it about 5 times after that

The pool I went to would only allow a 'dive' ... I think that was my problem as its a big thing 'diving' ... if they had allowed feet-first, I would prolly have jumped off much sooner

Oh and btw, it hurts like hell when you hit the water as you are doing about 10,000mph !!