SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 08-11-08, 02:15 PM   #1
tristdac

Default Garage mucked up my bike

hey guys,

not posted on here for awhile as i sold my SV but would appreciate some advice. I bought a cheap bike and took it to the garage to balance the carbs as it was running a bit rich. When i picked it up yesterday it was running really badly.
All that was wrong with it before was that it was bogging down and cutting out at idle. Now the engine is sounding rough, smoking from the exhaust, leaking oil and I cant put any power down. It struggles to get even half way to redline.

My question is.... do any of you have any experience in dealing with bad mechanics/garages? Do i have any sort recourse or is it simply my word against theirs and nothing will get done to sort this?

Thanks
Old 08-11-08, 02:19 PM   #2
Alpinestarhero

Default Re: Garage mucked up my bike

This isnt on; I suggest you complain to the garage (letter in writing, perhaps an assesment by another qualified mechanic etc etc). Then, take your bike to someone like Sid Squid or Yorkie Chris and get it properly fixed

Matt
Old 08-11-08, 02:22 PM   #3
Jester666

Look where he is located A*H!

When you complain to the garage make sure Trading Standards get a mention.
Old 08-11-08, 02:30 PM   #4
Alpinestarhero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester666 View Post
Look where he is located A*H!

When you complain to the garage make sure Trading Standards get a mention.
Oh yea to get to YC or SS would be a helluva trip on a ill bike

Mind you, folks on ehre might be able t guide you through sorting the bike yourself. Oil leaks you can at least identify the location on the bike, then post on here how best to stop it

.org to the rescue?
Old 08-11-08, 02:30 PM   #5
fizzwheel
Super Moderator
Mega Poster

First instance take it back and be firm but polite and explain you're not happy and give them a chance to put it right and I wouldnt be expecting to pay for it to be done properly this tiime either.

I wouldnt go in there muttering about trading standards just yet, if they are a decent place they should get your sorted out.

K5 GSXR 750 Anniversary Edition
fizzwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-08, 02:42 PM   #6
tristdac

This was my first "professional" experience as I've always taken on projects myself (with help of a more knowledgable friend). I would ask for help fixing the problem on here but I already feel guilty for using SV650.org as i jumped ship when i sold mine . One problem at a time I suppose.

Should I ask for my money back or would that just end any possible negotiations or chance of them remedying the problem?

Forgive my ignorance but, when you take your bike in to a garage is it normal for them to charge you for time spent diagnosing the problem?
Old 08-11-08, 02:43 PM   #7
yorkie_chris
Noisy Git
Mega Poster

I wouldn't be demanding refund yet ... give them chance to fix it.
Old 08-11-08, 02:44 PM   #8
yorkie_chris
Noisy Git
Mega Poster

Either that or just write it off to experience and get a haynes manual for it...
Old 08-11-08, 02:49 PM   #9
tristdac

Quote:
Originally Posted by yorkie_chris View Post
Either that or just write it off to experience and get a haynes manual for it...
Well that's whats been running through my mind. I don't have much confidence in this being fixed by them. If any of you are working mechanics you may be able to answer this. If there was damage to the engine cause by something they had done when doing the work, who is responsible... keeping in mind it's my word against theirs. What keeps running through my mind is that they've balanced the carbs and left it running to see how its running and possibly overheated the engine causing damage.

I appreciate the comments btw.
Old 08-11-08, 02:51 PM   #10
tristdac

Not that I'm paniking or having visions of doom for my engine... Im sure it more simple than that... its just a hypothetical question