SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 24-08-05, 06:07 PM   #1
chutz

Default I bought it!!!

I'm taking a 2001 VFR 800 out for a test ride on sunday with a view to parting with some cash. I know the owner and bike and know that it has been looked after/serviced etc but just wondered if there any specific areas of concern with this bike that any of you know about. Common faults to check for etc. I will keep you posted on my impressions of it but get the feeling that I'll be buying it as it's only done 8800 miles and the price is good.
Old 24-08-05, 06:13 PM   #2
Patch

The 2001 is pretty well sorted to be honest, the exhaust is (a form of) stainless steel so doesn't rust like the early ones, the Rec/Reg is uprated as well.

If there is a scottoiler fitted check that the chain adjuster is not seized as its a bugger to sort the rear hub and the lack of adjusting that scotoiler allows can cause it to.

Only other thing is the rear shock but if its only done 8000 miles you've got another 10K left before you will need to change it.

Over all if the price is right its a good year for VFR's
Old 24-08-05, 08:00 PM   #3
bongo

Before you buy, try to ride a Triumph Sprint ST, 99-05 version, it is heaps better - more torque, less cramped, better sound. You can get some good buys now that the new model is out.
Old 24-08-05, 08:11 PM   #4
chutz

Quote:
Originally Posted by bongo
Before you buy, try to ride a Triumph Sprint ST, 99-05 version, it is heaps better - more torque, less cramped, better sound. You can get some good buys now that the new model is out.
nice bike but I'd rather the v four honda. This is a particularly good price too and i know what I'll be getting. I love triumphs but my limited experience of them does not fill me with confidence as to reliability compared to the Honda.
Old 24-08-05, 08:53 PM   #5
Diveboy

Quote:
I really like the sound of the V800 it’s just to my taste. I loved the sound of my Mazda RX8 (wankle) and not a roar of a V6. I don’t always think louder is better I know most would disagree Some times a distinctive (even bespoke) noise just seems nicer.
Old 24-08-05, 08:53 PM   #6
Patch

Quote:
You are having a laugh aren't you?

The Triumph has build quality problems the handling is not a patch on the VFR, it is dated, rider info is terrible, in all fairness the old ST was not even on the same playing surface as the VFR Fi.

Having said that the new ST is a really attractive proposition with its increased power but out of the 4 people I know personally who have bought them not one of them is issue free and again its all build quality. I hate to think what these bikes are going to look like after a hard winters riding.
Old 24-08-05, 09:08 PM   #7
chutz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patch
Quote:
You are having a laugh aren't you?

The Triumph has build quality problems the handling is not a patch on the VFR, it is dated, rider info is terrible, in all fairness the old ST was not even on the same playing surface as the VFR Fi.

Having said that the new ST is a really attractive proposition with its increased power but out of the 4 people I know personally who have bought them not one of them is issue free and again its all build quality. I hate to think what these bikes are going to look like after a hard winters riding.
exactly the issues I have concerns about Patch. I have seen this vfr up close a few times and it is mint. It has lived in a heated garage, been service evry year coz it never reaches it's service milage and is about perfect. I really don't want to spend the cash but it is just crying out "bargain" to me...wanna guess the price ? It includes carbon hugger and baggalux cover and tank bag too...
Old 24-08-05, 10:19 PM   #8
Peter Henry

The Honda should prove to be a very able machine and please you well,as long as you do not constantly compare it all the time with everything else you have thrown your leg over! (Fnar,fnar in a very VIZ kind of way!)
Old 24-08-05, 10:22 PM   #9
Tigerrrr.......

A heated garage.

That's unlucky.

The best garage is a cold garage as heat acts as a catalyst and speeds up the chemical reaction that forms rust.

Just a consideration......
Old 24-08-05, 10:25 PM   #10
chutz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigerrrr.......
A heated garage.

That's unlucky.

The best garage is a cold garage as heat acts as a catalyst and speeds up the chemical reaction that forms rust.

Just a consideration......
a good point but I also know it was never ridden in gritted road conditions, and was washed before bed if it got even slightly dirty...seriously, this is a mint bike, I have seen it