SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 14-02-12, 12:21 AM   #31
xXBADGERXx

Default Re: A very close call

Let`s face facts .... this happens , we`ve all done something silly and you hope that you learn from it all . I have ridden with Berlin and a quite a few others on here and they have witnessed me having a good day and then all of a sudden I will drop back and retire myself further down the pack . I know when my limits of concentration are being exhausted and I am likely to have an "incident" . You have to push to know where your limits are , then stick to those limits and back off and ride another day .
Old 14-02-12, 12:26 AM   #32
Specialone

Quote:
Originally Posted by xXBADGERXx View Post
Let`s face facts .... this happens , we`ve all done something silly and you hope that you learn from it all . I have ridden with Berlin and a quite a few others on here and they have witnessed me having a good day and then all of a sudden I will drop back and retire myself further down the pack . I know when my limits of concentration are being exhausted and I am likely to have an "incident" . You have to push to know where your limits are , then stick to those limits and back off and ride another day .
I found the same in france, id have 2-3 hours (or a barmy 5 mins as i call it) in the day when i felt on it (by my standards) and focused but as you say i felt that focus going sometimes so just backed off a bit when i didnt feel confident.
I also feel during these times, my chances of an 'incident' are greatly increased.
Old 14-02-12, 12:36 AM   #33
xXBADGERXx

They are , I nearly got beheaded by a trailer because I went "off the boil" and didn`t pay attention . Even wrote it up on here a couple of years back .
Old 14-02-12, 01:58 AM   #34
tonyk
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Owenski View Post
Im actually gonna credit the rider for keeping a cool head.
I dont see much wrong with anything he does maybe a slight loss of concentration as his entry line isnt brilliant but after that the guy does fantasticly IMO.
Im suspecting its low adesion which is to blame and here's why:
At 29s he is still tipping in, but everything looks fine, then his front goes a bit loose, this is fractions of a second before the car comes into view
At 30s he's drifting towards the centre line, and seems to drift wide quicker than you'd normally expect,
At 31s he is crossing the yellow lines and there is another black skid mark almost perfectly projecting the line you'd expect him to take from this point of the slide.
At 32s he misses the car by a cat **** hair, and then has fighter pilot composure to miss steer around the truck.
at 33s look in the RH lane just after he passes the truck and there is a continuation of the skid mark seen at 31s this heads stright into the banking.

He isnt the first person to loose control on this corner and I thats why I suspect the surface is largely to blame, and why I say he's done fantastically.

"At 32s he misses the car by a cat **** hair, and then has fighter pilot composure to miss steer around the truck.
I say he's done fantastically."
I second that. we all mess up so give him a well done...

"Better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and clear all doubts."
Some days its not even worth chewing through the restraints...
tonyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-12, 05:26 AM   #35
Red Herring
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by xXBADGERXx View Post
....... You have to push to know where your limits are , then stick to those limits and back off and ride another day .
Not on the public road you don't, leastways not into a blind bend where your mistake could involve others. "Accidents" if I could be permitted to use an old fashioned term, don't just happen, they are an obvious consequence to an often chosen course of behaviour and this was a classic example. I know that some motorcyclists like to push it along a bit, myself included, and I'd like to think we all know and accept the risks we are putting ourselves at when we do so, but none of us have the right to include others in that risk. If you want to look for your limits do it somewhere that isn't going to ruin somebody else's life when you find them. Sorry, I know I sound like a right boring fart sometimes but this "didn't he do well" attitude really gets my goat.
Red Herring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-12, 05:33 AM   #36
tonyk
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Herring View Post
Not on the public road you don't, leastways not into a blind bend where your mistake could involve others. "Accidents" if I could be permitted to use an old fashioned term, don't just happen, they are an obvious consequence to an often chosen course of behaviour and this was a classic example. I know that some motorcyclists like to push it along a bit, myself included, and I'd like to think we all know and accept the risks we are putting ourselves at when we do so, but none of us have the right to include others in that risk. If you want to look for your limits do it somewhere that isn't going to ruin somebody else's life when you find them. Sorry, I know I sound like a right boring fart sometimes but this "didn't he do well" attitude really gets my goat.
IMHO "didn't he do well" it could have been fatal for himself and the other people involved.
i'm just prasing his skill and his LUCK to pull it off.

"Better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and clear all doubts."

Last edited by tonyk; 14-02-12 at 05:40 AM.
Old 14-02-12, 05:38 AM   #37
Red Herring
Mega Poster

I didn't see to much skill there. Luck, well yeah, I can't deny him that, but you can't praise someone for something they have no control over.
Red Herring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-12, 05:41 AM   #38
tonyk
Mega Poster

Agree..............and now he's got 8 left.

Old 14-02-12, 06:00 AM   #39
BanannaMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lozzo View Post
Trying too hard to keep up with his obviously far more talented mates, then he nearly wiped out the guy following as he rejoined his lane - Idiot.

+1

I see nothing but poor riding here.
Bad lines and lean angles, obviously trying to ride beyond his skills to keep up, no evasive action towards the first car, locking the rear wheel, nearly taking out another rider and that's just the highlights!
Lucky idiot.

"The Mountains are calling and I must go"

BanannaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-12, 06:47 AM   #40
tonyk
Mega Poster

Bill you got right Lucky idiot. lol.