SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 11-10-20, 06:04 PM   #8551
DarrenSV650S
Mega Poster

Default Re: Gripe of the day - What is yours?

Quote:
Originally Posted by admin View Post
Thats outrageous, I'd be seething too. Have they even mentioned this to you in the past?

Sent from my SM-T510 using Tapatalk
Her daughter came round a couple of years ago and asked if I could trim them. I trimmed my side and asked if I could come in their garden to cut their side and they said no. So what else can I do? Apparently her husband fell through the garage roof previously so I'm guessing that's why they didn't want me to come round
DarrenSV650S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-20, 06:07 PM   #8552
DarrenSV650S
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenzie View Post
How would they not know you weren't still living there??? They're your neighbours!

Sent from my Xperia using Tapatalk
Well their back garden borders with my back garden so it's not like we would see each other coming and going, but I'm sure she would have noticed the lights in the windows.

How the hell she hasn't heard my bike is a mystery to me though!

Plus they could have posted a letter or something
DarrenSV650S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-20, 06:07 PM   #8553
admin
John T
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenzie View Post
How would they not know you weren't still living there??? They're your neighbours!

Sent from my Xperia using Tapatalk
Just an excuse, a weak one and a lie, they were probably waiting for you to go out. Its trespass and vandalism.

Old 11-10-20, 06:52 PM   #8554
Dave20046
Mega Poster

If the tree was overhanging their garden , the bits that were can be put in your garden.
What they did is outright wankity, they probably thought since they were 'technically' right they could just do it with no courtesy. I'm not sure they can come on to your property to do it either.

Anyway..isn't a connifer technically a hedge so the the height restrictions they thought gave them legality wouldn't apply?

In any case I'd be posting manure through her letterbox and birching her son.
Old 12-10-20, 07:46 AM   #8555
shiftin_gear98

I'd be electrifying your gate, so they get a right belt if they try to enter your garden again.
Cheeky ****ers.
Old 12-10-20, 11:16 AM   #8556
svenrico

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarrenSV650S View Post
While I was out my neighbours have come in to my garden, cut the tops off my conifers and dumped them in my garden. So trespassing, criminal damage and fly tipping. My first thought was to go bang on their door but I'm trying to stay calm and think about this rationally.
They only have a right to cut off branches which overhang the boundary on to their property and then they should deposit what they cut off in your garden if the trees grow in your garden. Depends if the tops overhung the boundary and how high the trees were ( could have been creating a problem blocking out light to their property ) Best to try and sort it out amicably rather than be at loggerheads with neighbours.
svenrico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-20, 11:22 AM   #8557
Bike27

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarrenSV650S View Post
While I was out my neighbours have come in to my garden, cut the tops off my conifers and dumped them in my garden. So trespassing, criminal damage and fly tipping. My first thought was to go bang on their door but I'm trying to stay calm and think about this rationally.
Read this out to my wife, as she'd recently been a little unhappy with one of neighbours over a boundary issue (but nothing approaching this level of appaling behaviour).

She pointed out that many home insurance policies come with free legal advice - so may be worth a call if you have this on your policy. A well written letter sent by recorded delivery pointing out they could face legal action if they attempt anything similar in future is what I would be considering in your position. Incredibly some solicitors may even be prepared to send one on your behalf for a fee the acceptable side of extortionate, for added extra clout. There are also online 'ask a solicitor' services you could look into.
Bike27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-20, 11:24 AM   #8558
svenrico

Was out for a ride yesterday and travelling along at a reasonable speed of about 50mph on an A road as the engine warmed up when a car overtook close to me and cut back in front of me for no apparent reason as there was nothing coming the other way. I felt like following them and remonstrating somehow but remembered what my mother used to say -'don't go looking for trouble or you'll soon find it' !
ps made me think of getting one of those webcam things or whatever they are that record as you are riding along.

Last edited by svenrico; 12-10-20 at 04:11 PM.
svenrico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-20, 11:42 AM   #8559
admin
John T
Mega Poster

I find this quite common but usually when I'm in the car. They seem to have no notion of the length of their car and leaving you a safe breaking distance. Another reason (on multi lanes) is that they have a big white van up their chuff trying to shove them out of the way.

Old 12-10-20, 11:52 AM   #8560
Bike27

I'm not looking for another argument Svenrico and I totally agree that attempting this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by svenrico View Post
Best to try and sort it out amicably rather than be at loggerheads with neighbours.
Much better than a solicitors letter if you can manage it, BUT considering your gripe of the day, I couldn't help wondering how much you were using your mirrors prior to that car overtaking you?

Assuming you are talking a NSL single carriageway A road (so 60mph) if I found myself doing about 50 (not often) I would be regularly checking mirrors to see if any cars were closing in and I may then adjust my speed accordingly (as if a car is going to overtake me I prefer it to be more on my terms than theirs). These days I'm generally a little above the speed limit on such roads, usually still enough to keep the vast majority of cars behind where they belong, but if one still wants to overtake, then at those speeds I would say they are more likely to give a fair bit more room.

However I accept you were letting the engine warm up, but even up to 5k the SV has more than enough grunt to keep the vast majority of cars at bay.

And yes maybe the car driver was just a grade A ****, and nothing you did would have made much of a difference

Was it an Audi or a SUV by any chance?
Bike27 is offline   Reply With Quote