SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 29-12-20, 05:50 PM   #8981
DJ123
Mega Poster

Default Re: Gripe of the day - What is yours?

Quote:
Originally Posted by admin View Post
And cycle in the road even though there's an adjacent cycle lane. (Speaking as a cyclist)

Sent from my SM-T510 using Tapatalk
Even more so.
There are 2 roads i drive on regular where the cycle lane is part of the path (it is a widened path to help accommodate cyclists & pedestrians) due to the road being very busy, and overtaking a cyclist is difficult/dangerous for them should things go wrong. But many still don't use it, and complain if/when cars overtake too close . . . .

BMW F800ST
DJ123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-20, 06:00 PM   #8982
DarrenSV650S
Mega Poster

Washed my car today to get all the winter crap off it. Driving along a 40mph dually a big lorry comes speeding down the fast lane showering my car with all the road crap and blinding me. Then cut in front of me just before the roundabout making me brake. *****
DarrenSV650S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-20, 11:04 PM   #8983
chris8886
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by admin View Post
And cycle in the road even though there's an adjacent cycle lane. (Speaking as a cyclist)

Sent from my SM-T510 using Tapatalk
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ123 View Post
Cyclists. in 2 ways:

1: People who hang a bike off the back of their car (tow bar mounted or otherwise) who don't bother buying either a numberplate & light board, or even just the numberplate if it has lights already. You only have the cheapest/easiest items to buy and fit - there's no excuse!

2: Cyclists who ride without any lights &/or reflective gear on during the winter and the dark dingy days (especially the early mornings & late afternoon). And then proceed to wear all black.

And all of the above cyclists are mostly bikes which are 4 figures and upwards in terms of value (Carbon framed & bolt on goodies). So its not as if it is an extra expense they're going to notice!

It'll be the extra weight though I reckon they've spent all that money making thing as light as a feather, they don't want to then go adding 40 odd grams (or some other ridiculously small figure) to their "racing steed"!
Daytona 675: Arrow can (with a baffle that's gone missing in action....), quickshifter, shorty levers, custom paintjob
chris8886 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-20, 08:53 AM   #8984
maviczap
Mega Poster

People not understanding that it's not a legal requirement to use a cycle path, most are unfit for purpose, glass strewn, end abruptly. At 18 - 20mph I'd seriously injur or kill someone on one of the shared paths, so the road is safer.

As for the all blacked out Rapha clad riders with no lights, well if they get knocked off fair do's. They are ex golfers, as cycling is the new golf
maviczap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-20, 10:48 AM   #8985
DJ123
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by maviczap View Post
People not understanding that it's not a legal requirement to use a cycle path, most are unfit for purpose, glass strewn, end abruptly. At 18 - 20mph I'd seriously injur or kill someone on one of the shared paths, so the road is safer.

As for the all blacked out Rapha clad riders with no lights, well if they get knocked off fair do's. They are ex golfers, as cycling is the new golf
I am assuming most cyclists have a driving license, and drive appropriately to the conditions - so on a shared path you would slow down when approaching Pedestrians, no? The same as when most cars approach a cyclist on the road, they also slow down if there is no safe over take available.

I agree not all cycle lanes are maintained to the standard necessary, but the onus is also on the rider to ride appropriately and safely - you are responsible if you cause an accident, death or injury like any other Pedestrian or mode of transport.

BMW F800ST
Old 30-12-20, 12:52 PM   #8986
maviczap
Mega Poster

Quote:
Even more so.
There are 2 roads i drive on regular where the cycle lane is part of the path (it is a widened path to help accommodate cyclists & pedestrians) due to the road being very busy, and overtaking a cyclist is difficult/dangerous for them should things go wrong. But many still don't use it, and complain if/when cars overtake too close . . . .
Ride those cycle paths on a road bike and perhaps you'll appreciate how crap they really are, especially a shared one at 18-20mph.

Quote:
I am assuming most cyclists have a driving license, and drive appropriately to the conditions - so on a shared path you would slow down when approaching Pedestrians, no? The same as when most cars approach a cyclist on the road, they also slow down if there is no safe over take available.

I agree not all cycle lanes are maintained to the standard necessary, but the onus is also on the rider to ride appropriately and safely - you are responsible if you cause an accident, death or injury like any other Pedestrian or mode of transport.
Mixing cyclists and pedestrians is just the stupidest idea ever. Yes, if I ever did use them, then I would slow down, but I don't use them because pedestrians are as unpredictable as horses. I give horses a wide berth and let them know I'm approaching, and riders usually say thank you. Pedestrians not so much.

As for drivers slowing down and waiting for a safe place to pass, then join me on a ride, and see how many close passes I put up with every ride. Now I always ride with a rear facing camera + light to catch the number plate of the 2 ton metal box that's going to put me in hospital.

My gripe of today is the anti cycling rhetoric in this country, that's been driven by main stream media, is now deeply embedded in driving culture. Its not helped by the dark Rapha clad cycling mob who've taken up the sport in recent years.

Any discussion on Twitter, FB or other forums elsewhere descends into a rabid argument about lycra louts, who think they own the road, and all cars are going to be banned from cities, because of cyclists.

I've been cycling & racing since the late 1980's and its never been as bad.

But remember before it was cyclists, the media used t demonise all motorcyclists clad in black leather as being Hell's Angels................

I just want to go out for a ride and not be abused, threatened, shouted at just because I choose to ride a bicycle.

Last edited by maviczap; 30-12-20 at 01:07 PM.
maviczap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-20, 01:02 PM   #8987
Adam Ef
Mega Poster

DFT guidelines state that cyclists should use the road rather than shared paths at 18mph and above.

Shared use paths are minimum DFT standard required for infrastructure and councils are advised to only use them if other options are not possible. They are almost always installed because they the cheapest option available to tick a box to show that the council has made an effort towards green transport. A token gesture. Many near us are a total waste of time, going the wrong way from where you want to go and really neglected surfaces with tree roots breaking through etc.

I have had someone physically try to ram me off the road for not using one (the shared path was 20ft set back from the road and I wanted to turn right off the road.. not possible from the path). I just wanted to get home from work and see my kids. He wanted to injure me for slowing him for approx 3 seconds of his life. Absurd.
Adam Ef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-20, 01:03 PM   #8988
Adam Ef
Mega Poster

Having said that I do really enjoy to lack of worry of riding on a proper sgregated cycle path when it's actually good enough standard. If we could have separate roads to enjoy on motorbikes that cars were kept off then that would be great too
Adam Ef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-20, 01:15 PM   #8989
DJ123
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by maviczap View Post
Ride those cycle paths on a road bike and perhaps you'll appreciate how crap they really are, especially a shared one at 18-20mph.

Mixing cyclists and pedestrians is just the stupidest idea ever. Yes, if I ever did use them, then I would slow down, but I don't use them because pedestrians are as unpredictable as horses. I give horses a wide berth and let them know I'm approaching, and riders usually say thank you. Pedestrians not so much.

As for drivers slowing down and waiting for a safe place to pass, then join me on a ride, and see how many close passes I put up with every ride. Now I always ride with a rear facing camera + light to catch the number plate of the 2 ton metal box that's going to put me in hospital.

My gripe of today is the anti cycling rhetoric in this country, that's been driven by main stream media, is now deeply embedded in driving culture. Its not helped by the dark Rapha clad cycling mob who've taken up the sport in recent years.

Any discussion on Twitter, FB or other forums elsewhere descends into a rabid argument about lycra louts, who think they own the road, and all cars are going to be banned from cities, because of cyclists.

I've been cycling & racing since the late 1980's and its never been as bad.

But remember before it was cyclists, the media used t demonise all motorcyclists clad in black leather as being Hell's Angels................

I just want to go out for a ride and not be abused, threatened, shouted at just because I choose to ride a bicycle.
DW i'm not against Cyclists in any shape or form - i ride MTB as i see riding on the road too dangerous in any location, due to the poor driving standards on our roads.
What i do see from some/many cyclists is those who choose to put themselves in danger when a safer option is available. I don't think many of them are aware of how vulnerable they are - hence the lack of bright clothing and safety attributes they choose not to wear/equip themselves with.

BMW F800ST
Old 30-12-20, 01:24 PM   #8990
Chris_SVS

Christmas eve 2017 I was knocked off my bike, a bright almost flouro green frame, rear lights on different patterns, front light flashing, legs covered in reflectives, a fluoro yellow jersey and a bright white helmet.

Sod all to do with it actually, the driver just didn't give a sheite - then drove off.
Chris_SVS is offline   Reply With Quote