SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 03-03-10, 12:21 PM   #1
sauluk

Default D lock for a Bicycle

Given that we ride the big bicycles with engines in em we should be pretty educated on security.

Looked a few bicycle forums and opinions and they seem a lot less informed than people who have a motorbike to secure. What I want to know is are there any D locks for motorbikes that can be used for push bikes?

Or what is the best (small) D lock for a push bike? Need to order today as picking up new bike tomorrow.
Was: Blue SK5
Was: KMX125.. stolen..
sauluk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-10, 01:37 PM   #2
Stu
Trinity
Mega Poster

Default Re: D lock for a Bicycle

you could contact http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...=STRK:MEWAX:IT him & see if he'll do a deal with you?
Stu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-10, 01:58 PM   #3
sauluk

Got an Almax IV for the motorbike, no chance I'm lugging something like this around with me!!

Was looking for a pretty small but effective D-lock, something I could attach to the bike with a bracket ideally. The Krypronite Evolution Mini looks alright but I just reckon that motorbike security is probably of a different (better) calibre than some of this stuff.
Was: Blue SK5
Was: KMX125.. stolen..
sauluk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-10, 02:23 PM   #4
SUPERSTARDJ01

Xena do a d/u lock for motorbikes, but they're not too cheap.
Old 03-03-10, 02:25 PM   #5
TazDaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by sauluk View Post
Got an Almax IV for the motorbike, no chance I'm lugging something like this around with me!!
It'll make it more challenging and build your leg/back muscles quicker though!
Old 03-03-10, 07:00 PM   #6
carternd

Is a D-lock the best solution? They're hard to cut through, but a chain of some sort gives you more options with what to secure the bike to. You need one that attaches to the bike, or is fairly easy to carry, which is another plus for floppy locks, because if it's an inconvenience, you might end up not using it.
Old 03-03-10, 07:04 PM   #7
tj2

Most big Tesco/Sainsbury sell them.....
I got one from sains,fits perfect on my CB as a disc lock (thru both discs) think it cost about 11 quid.
Saw one in Tescos tonight think was about 7 quid... ok is not thatcham stuff but as deterrant, does the job (and fits in the space provided for D lock under the seat)

HTH Terry
tj2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-10, 07:14 PM   #8
carternd

Quote:
Originally Posted by tj2 View Post
Most big Tesco/Sainsbury sell them.....
I got one from sains,fits perfect on my CB as a disc lock (thru both discs) think it cost about 11 quid.
Saw one in Tescos tonight think was about 7 quid... ok is not thatcham stuff but as deterrant, does the job (and fits in the space provided for D lock under the seat)

HTH Terry
For 7 quid it'll be made of swiss cheese and be removable with a Tesco's carpy hacksaw. DONT "save" money on cheap security stuff, at least if your bike's worth a few bob (my pushbike cost me £300, I've seen some for near on 2grand). If a job's worth doing, it's worth doing properly.

An example, shop around, there's plenty of online bike stores.
http://www.tredz.co.uk/productlist.a...chstring=locks

Last edited by carternd; 03-03-10 at 07:16 PM. Reason: Add link
Old 03-03-10, 08:26 PM   #9
tj2

Hey, not saving money. If someone wants your stuff badly enough, they are going to have it.
If you put any lock on your bike, £30.00 or £300.00 you are going to deter the casual/oppertunist (sp) thief.
To remove a D lock of any type, swiss cheese or not with a hacksaw takes time. Deterence is the way to go. like I said if they really want it , they will have it
tj2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-10, 09:39 PM   #10
carternd

Quote:
Originally Posted by tj2 View Post
Hey, not saving money. If someone wants your stuff badly enough, they are going to have it.
If you put any lock on your bike, £30.00 or £300.00 you are going to deter the casual/oppertunist (sp) thief.
To remove a D lock of any type, swiss cheese or not with a hacksaw takes time. Deterence is the way to go. like I said if they really want it , they will have it
Fair point. But at least then you could say "I did all I could" rather than beat yourself up for penny-pinching though. Still, something's better than nothing.

Last edited by carternd; 03-03-10 at 09:39 PM. Reason: Grammar