SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 13-02-11, 06:50 PM   #1
-Ralph-

Default Would a main dealer stealer use manufacturers branded spark plugs?

So a Vauxhall having spark plugs branded "GM", and a Seat having plugs branded "Bosch" on on side, but with the "VW and Audi" logo's on the other?

Are the dealers supplied with these plugs my the manufacturer to use during routine servicing, or would these plugs only have been fitted at the factory?

I've just removed the VW Audi branded plugs from my wife's 61,500 mile Seat Ibiza. It had a main dealer FSH until I started servicing it myself, so it should have had plugs replaced at 20k and 40k by the dealer (the same dealer who I discovered when I did the last service they were not using the manufacturers recommended fully synthetic oil).

The plug failed yesterday, causing her a stutter and an engine management light. They certainly look older than 20k miles.

I'm trying to figure out if I've been ripped off by a stealer yet again!
Old 13-02-11, 06:54 PM   #2
Holdup

Default Re: Would a main dealer stealer use manufacturers branded spark plugs?

They may do, like where i work we order all our sparkplugs in from Honda, but the plugs are always branded NGK, Denso etc and they only change the packaging to say Honda with Honda part numbers
Old 13-02-11, 07:11 PM   #3
andrewsmith
Mega Poster

Location: Newcastle upon Tyne, Just south of salad dodging country

it depends on the dealer, with VAG the plugs will work in lord knows how many motors.

Most dealers use branded plugs as the local Vauxhall dealer has always got motor factor vans going to it.

HU a plug must be more expensive over non-repacked plug

Every year we meet old friends, gain some new ones, lose old ones and you always remember them all.
“Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.” Mahatma Gandhi
andrewsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-11, 07:12 PM   #4
thefallenangel

Had this debate with dealer. Plugs are inspected rather than replaced. My SV had the plugs replaced at 11k not 7.5k service.

My C1 had original plugs in for 38k and 3 1/2 years which to me is a bit too long but apparently within service schedule.

Were the plugs rusted in and difficult to get out at all?
Old 13-02-11, 07:21 PM   #5
-Ralph-

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefallenangel View Post
Had this debate with dealer. Plugs are inspected rather than replaced....

Were the plugs rusted in and difficult to get out at all?
So with 20k miles between changes, how can they possibly "inspect" a plug that's done 40,000 miles and say it's going to last to 60k without stranding the driver at the side of the road? I thought the whole point of an FSH was to keep the car reliable between services, not running OK only on the day it leaves the dealer. On Friday there was no sign of a misfire, on Saturday it stuttering and the ECU is giving a fault code. Plugs go as suddenly as that.

They took a bang on the ratchet with the butt of my hand to get them moving, but then came out easy enough and the threads weren't rusty, but then with modern spark plug chambers which sink down between the cams, and coil packs which fill the chamber, a plastic cover that the coil pack sits in, then an engine cover over the top of all that, they are not subject to moisture like they used to be when they were sticking out the front of the engine block.

The plug was jet black with soot (but not oily), the electrodes were eroded and were starting to break up, and the ceramic white bits had a thick black rings on them. They certainly looked older than 20k to me, but I'm no expert.

Last edited by -Ralph-; 13-02-11 at 07:23 PM.
Old 13-02-11, 07:23 PM   #6
thefallenangel

are they 20k change or longer? My C1 is 40k.

I think you've been done over by a stealer because my C1 plugs which looked original have done 38k and were fine. No marking or anything just a bit stiff in the threads.
Old 13-02-11, 07:27 PM   #7
-Ralph-

Quote:
are they 20k change or longer? My C1 is 40k.

I think you've been done over by a stealer because my C1 plugs which looked original have done 38k and were fine. No marking or anything just a bit stiff in the threads.
20K, first service I did on the car at 53k I didn't change the plugs, because the service schedule said they should have been done at the 40k service. I had bought plugs before I read the service schedule, and I remember thinking "never mind, it needs them next time" and putting them in the drawer. It's those plugs that have been fitted today.

Last edited by -Ralph-; 13-02-11 at 07:28 PM.
Old 13-02-11, 07:30 PM   #8
thefallenangel

Sounds like you've been done. Worth giving dealer a ring and seeing if they got service reports to double check against.
Old 13-02-11, 07:30 PM   #9
-Ralph-

Quote:
My C1 is 40k
In which case inspect not replace is Bolox. No way you can inspect a plug at 40k, decide it looks OK, and put it back in with no intention of touching them again until 80k.
Old 13-02-11, 07:33 PM   #10
-Ralph-

Quote:
Sounds like you've been done. Worth giving dealer a ring and seeing if they got service reports to double check against.
That's what I thought, I think most dealers will just use common aftermarket spark plugs, such as NGK, Champion, Bosch, etc.