SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 12-02-12, 02:10 PM   #21
Specialone

Default Re: A very close call

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berlin View Post
The numpties in this thread are the ones that call him for it because we've ALL overcooked it at some time or other.

All of us!

X
Quote:
Originally Posted by -Ralph- View Post
Some of the comments in this thread about what he did wrong are claptrap. If you don't really know what you're talking about - stop typing! But yeah the guy is riding beyond his ability, simples.

Agreed, I certainly have over cooked corners for one reason or another.

I have gone in to a set of hairpins and fast bends in France and got slightly out of rhythm and on one left hand corner just fixated and even though I could've easily made it, I just braked hard and locked up the rear before coming to my senses and just taking the corner and not hitting a 6ft high wall.

My point is sometimes it's possible to fixate on something and it affects your ability to make a corner that normally wouldn't be a problem.

In the op, the particular corner wasn't really a fast corner or much tighter than the others he'd just rode, he fixated when he realised he wasn't set up properly and went into panic mode rather than avoidance by just making the corner.
Old 12-02-12, 02:24 PM   #22
Specialone

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZZ3R View Post
Wasnt his turn to go I guess, Gods got other plans for this dude. Nice save on the truck though.

You seen this one?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rA1Tusk_RJU
Old clip that, ride like this on a regular basis and it's when, not if you will end up a ksi statistic.
Old 12-02-12, 07:13 PM   #23
Sid Squid
No, I don't lend tools.
Mega Poster

Let he/she* who is without a **** up cast the first stone.

Which is not to excuse rubbish riding, in this case it would certainly seem to be over-reaching his abilities, but who amongst us has never properly ****ed up? It's not the error which is the point, solely the consequences, fortunately in this circumstance the only casualty seems to have been his shreddies.

*No prejudice - everyone screws up sooner or later.
If an SV650 has a flat tyre in the forest and no-one is there to blow it up, how long will it be 'til someone posts that the reg/rec is duff and the world will end unless a CBR unit is fitted? A little bit of knowledge = a dangerous thing.

"a deathless anthem of nuclear-strength romantic angst"
Sid Squid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-12, 08:08 PM   #24
21QUEST
Mega Poster

You can almost predict what the 'band wagon' would me spurting in these sorts of threads...usually, a load of Boll*ox

As has been said by a Berlin, Ralph et al , let does who have never made a mistake, raise their pinkies .

Even funnier, is readign folks saying "ooh, the way, he rejoined was even worse" . That just proves the point that, many a folk actually do not have a clue...well, atleast appear that way, once they 'get started' .

Did anyone questioning how rider got back onto his side of the road, in an incorrect manner, actually bother to think for a moment, what thought processes mustt have been going on at that moment in time? dDid you notice what was on the left verge(whilst he was on the wrong side of the road)?.

Furthermore, I'd actually call the rider following more of a moron. Why? Go back and watch the video, count the seconds before the rider came past(just as he rejoined right side of teh road) and then perhaps, you'd arrive at a different view....
Blue, mate, having read a lot of your stuff I'd say 'in your head' is unknown territory for most of us

Last edited by 21QUEST; 12-02-12 at 08:12 PM.
21QUEST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-12, 09:18 PM   #25
yorkie_chris
Noisy Git
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by 21QUEST View Post
Furthermore, I'd actually call the rider following more of a moron. Why? Go back and watch the video, count the seconds before the rider came past(just as he rejoined right side of teh road) and then perhaps, you'd arrive at a different view....
OTOH would you really want to stop anywhere near that incident? Considering the chances of the truck swerving perhaps it was better to try and ride past the danger zone. Maybe, I'm not sure.
Old 12-02-12, 09:27 PM   #26
Specialone

When you're following someone, you have the added benefit of being able to see more in your view than the person in front, so, IMO, the following rider could react easier to the rider rejoining his side of the road, than an adrenalin filled, shaking rider who's just narrowly avoided a head on, he wouldn't exactly be thinking straight at that moment, whereas following rider could do something to avoid any collision.

As others have said, we're too quick to criticise.

Last edited by Specialone; 12-02-12 at 09:28 PM.
Old 12-02-12, 09:47 PM   #27
muzikill
Mega Poster

Why was the rider following a moron? Considering how long the guy videoing this took to rejoin and the speed he was doing the other rider must have been a couple of corners behind so was oblivious to what went on. The main rider went onto the dirty side on the opposite side of the road. He then rejoined just as the last of the traffic passed him so the guy following behind didnt see him blinded by the last of the traffic and had just ridden round the corner where the whole incident happened. The guy who created this should have stayed put at the side of the road and sorted his head out. His eagerness to rejoin and subsequent actions almost causing another incident says it all. If I was the rider behind him I would have knocked his head off at the next rest stop. Not the right reaction, I know.
K3 Job c.v: Engine:remove/split/rebuild/refit. Replace:Gearbox,Fuel pump,Gaskets. Piston clean,rings. Overhaul:Throttle body,Injectors,Brakes,Forks. Remove/refit:Exhaust,Radiator,Oil cooler,Throttle,Air filter,Tank. Replace: Oil,Coolant,grease,brake hoses & bleed.

Last edited by muzikill; 12-02-12 at 09:55 PM.
muzikill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-12, 09:52 AM   #28
Owenski

Im actually gonna credit the rider for keeping a cool head.
I dont see much wrong with anything he does maybe a slight loss of concentration as his entry line isnt brilliant but after that the guy does fantasticly IMO.
Im suspecting its low adesion which is to blame and here's why:
At 29s he is still tipping in, but everything looks fine, then his front goes a bit loose, this is fractions of a second before the car comes into view
At 30s he's drifting towards the centre line, and seems to drift wide quicker than you'd normally expect,
At 31s he is crossing the yellow lines and there is another black skid mark almost perfectly projecting the line you'd expect him to take from this point of the slide.
At 32s he misses the car by a cat **** hair, and then has fighter pilot composure to miss steer around the truck.
at 33s look in the RH lane just after he passes the truck and there is a continuation of the skid mark seen at 31s this heads stright into the banking.

He isnt the first person to loose control on this corner and I thats why I suspect the surface is largely to blame, and why I say he's done fantastically.
Old 13-02-12, 02:41 PM   #29
Jayneflakes
Mega Poster

Both of those videos put my heart in my mouth!

Last time I got it wrong was pulling on to a roundabout, right in front of a black car! It was dark, but he had lights on and I just did not see him, scared the poo out of me that did. Went home and felt lucky to have a bike in one piece. Getting it wrong can be so simple and yet so horribly painful if you are unlucky.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Littlepeahead View Post
Jayne you're a Pussy Magnet
My bar swap and custom suspension

Buy my latest novel and help fund my addiction to strippers and Lego.
Jayneflakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-12, 12:01 AM   #30
Owenski

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayneflakes View Post
Both of those videos put my heart in my mouth!

Last time I got it wrong was pulling on to a roundabout, right in front of a black car! It was dark, but he had lights on and I just did not see him, scared the poo out of me that did. Went home and felt lucky to have a bike in one piece. Getting it wrong can be so simple and yet so horribly painful if you are unlucky.
Jane sweet heart, it's meant to be the cars which SMIDSY us not the other way around