SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Photos Place your images here. There's also a "U" rating so please respect this.

Old 30-08-15, 09:24 PM   #261
johnnyrod
Mega Poster

Default Re: Vintage film cameras

Ah thought it was Fujifilm for some reason but you're right. Yeah on FB you see every so often a photo and someone claims they've found a memory card, please share the hell out of this like some sort of legit virus and we'll find the owners. Even saw one the other day where someone had taken a pic of a wedding couple on London Bridge, you could see the fill flash and everything, and was trying to find them. Cobblers, it was a staged photo. Maybe some of these things are real but most of it is BS of course. You could post it up though and any info you have about possible location, also try a Google search by image.
johnnyrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-15, 09:39 PM   #262
Kenzie

We know the family the camera belonged to so are hoping for some info. The film from the ensign is a different matter.

Sent from my Kindle Fire
Kenzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-15, 08:34 AM   #263
Kenzie

The photos are of her grandparents and date from the late 50s. No idea on the church though.
Old 31-08-15, 10:56 AM   #264
Kenzie

Looks like we are off to Cheddar Gorge next week. Hmmm... what to take. Fancy some medium format black and white goodness. But can't take too many!
Old 01-09-15, 08:54 PM   #265
johnnyrod
Mega Poster

What are you going to be doing down there? Daft though it sounds I've now got film in the Contessa and am happy as I can be that it's all working, I even think I know what to do with the flash, and now I don't know what to point it at! We're in Turkey next week but will most likely just kick around the resort all week and am taking a digi P&S anyway so it'll probably wait till I get back. Think I have been looking at too many (or not enough?) of other peoples' pictures, my head's spinning.
Old 02-09-15, 04:51 AM   #266
Kenzie

Exploring I think. There is an open top bus tour as well as the lookout and caves. I keep trawling through Flickr and now have a large selection of groups which I follow. Still feel my photography can improve in general as I am more of a snapper!
Old 02-09-15, 09:18 AM   #267
johnnyrod
Mega Poster

Depends what you're trying to depict. Your close-ups might use a bit more DoF; the flowers are good but the bike ones are a bit too shallow, so the bits you might also be looking at (near the sharpest point) are already blurry. There are a lot of overly-dramatic pics on Flickr; a simple landscape isn't necessarily going to (or should?) look like some of them, but you could think about framing a bit more. The bridge pictures you use on your test rolls have a lot of empty space in them that doesn't add anything. Can you get closer to the near end of the bridge so you get more of its length into the picture? How much on the left or right of it do you want to see - giving a sense of movement, either you're following the line in across or out of the frame, more like this
www.flickr.com/photos/39887875@N06/16870565920
I've been trying out similar stuff. Move around a subject a bit more, closer or further away, looking through the viewfinder, and take a few pics, see how they come out. At the time you'll see things, but later you'll see other things. A picture that shows you the subject clearly might be correct on one level, but one that sacrifices a bit of this for more interest that makes you want to look at it a second time is probably a better picture.

There is endless stuff on Flickr, however I've seen lots of good pictures on the Rangefinder forum. I'm not really into "street" photography - much of it is just poor copies of Diane Arbus-style miserable people - but there is a thread on there with some really good ones, though for the life of me I can't find it now. What really stood out was not just the lighting etc. but that many of them, and a few in particular, really warranted more than just a glance.
Old 02-09-15, 07:40 PM   #268
Kenzie

I don't think I have a style yet. I did win a Canon canoscan 8000f today. Comes with 35mm and 120 negative holder. Means I can shoot black and white, process and scan myself.

Sent from my Kindle Fire
Old 03-09-15, 11:42 AM   #269
johnnyrod
Mega Poster

I was thinking about the 9000f so will be interesting to see how you get on with the 8000.

Found the street photography thread again:
http://www.rangefinderforum.com/foru...hreadid=150910

I don't really go for this style but there are some very good pics in there - it took me ages to work out why the second last one on page 1 was taken. Equally I don't care for the Dusseldorf style; it's just dull,even with some clever composition. From your pics I've seen, yours is a bit sort of reportage/diary photography with a bit of lomo thrown in. Nothing wrong with that, maybe try to make some pictures tell you their story I guess.
Old 03-09-15, 07:46 PM   #270
Kenzie

I think I just enjoy cameras and don't really have a style. Will let you know how I get on with the scanner.

Sent from my Kindle Fire