SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 21-11-17, 09:38 PM   #131
NTECUK
Mega Poster

Default Re: Electric Cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by ophic View Post
We might well end up with a completely different model. Car hire pools or such like. I'd imagine an electric car doesn't matter so much how it's driven or maintained, and with the electronics available you could easily charge each user for exactly the amount of energy used.

Still, the vast majority of polluting road traffic is probably commuting and if they can reduce the emissions from this, then all good, so long range isn't necessarily required. It doesn't mean it has to be a solution for every road user. Even the govt commitment to electric vehicles doesn't rule out hybrids.

Wouldn't a diesel/electric hybrid tick all the boxes? apart from perhaps upfront cost? You commute on electric, longer journeys can use diesel, and if you have to recharge from the engine, you can - and it's proven that burning fuel to charge a battery to drive an electric engine is actually significantly more efficient than burning fuel to drive wheels directly.
The New Leaf is going to kill off the hybrid cars for all but a very few.
Watch this space...
Old 22-11-17, 09:25 AM   #132
SV650rules
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by NTECUK View Post
The New Leaf is going to kill off the hybrid cars for all but a very few.
Watch this space...

Who is going to pay for all this electricity, with EV users presently getting electricity at same price as domestic users this situation cannot go on for long. There needs to be a massive upgrade in our electrical supply, this comes at a time when reliable coal and nuclear stations are shutting down and not being replaced. Home charging is not a option for a lot of people, and already queues and arguments at existing charging stations. Road pricing will be introduced and cost of running an EV will rise sharply to pay for new infrastructure......... the honeymoon will then be over. My next car will be a hybrid.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/bu...-a7923496.html

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
SV650rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-17, 10:09 AM   #133
L3nny
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV650rules View Post
Who is going to pay for all this electricity, with EV users presently getting electricity at same price as domestic users this situation cannot go on for long. There needs to be a massive upgrade in our electrical supply, this comes at a time when reliable coal and nuclear stations are shutting down and not being replaced. Home charging is not a option for a lot of people, and already queues and arguments at existing charging stations. Road pricing will be introduced and cost of running an EV will rise sharply to pay for new infrastructure......... the honeymoon will then be over. My next car will be a hybrid.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/bu...-a7923496.html
Yes there will be challenges but that's no reason not to try and make things better.
Old 22-11-17, 10:16 AM   #134
L3nny
Mega Poster

I3 went back last night. I am now back in a dirty old diesel, killing the polar bears and giving asthma to all my neighbors.

I parked the car outside the EV shop next to a charging point, plugged it in and the charging point hung. When I went into the shop and raised my concerns about the charging infrastructure they agreed it's temperamental, and this is the company who run the UK's largest charging network!

I think I'll keep the diesel for a year or so yet but when cars like the new Leaf and Model 3 are easily available and affordable I'll re-consider going electric.

While the I3 is a great car, it's too compromised to be my sole vehicle at the moment. I need a normal car that just happens to be electric.
Old 22-11-17, 11:08 AM   #135
Luckypants
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by L3nny View Post
I need a normal car that just happens to be electric.
Very well put.

As I have mentioned previously in this thread, we were considering a Renault Zoe for our second car as it does very few miles and those are all local. It shot itself in the foot with the battery rental charge of £70 a month. We put maybe £30 of petrol into our second car so it was a no brainer to stay a fossil. If it was 'normal' costs only, we would have had one.
Snow Plough Appreciation Society - Member #3

Luckypants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-17, 11:12 AM   #136
ophic
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by L3nny View Post
I3 went back last night. I am now back in a dirty old diesel, killing the polar bears and giving asthma to all my neighbors.
In contrast, aren't the EURO6 compliant modern diesels actually quite clean running?
Old 22-11-17, 11:46 AM   #137
L3nny
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by ophic View Post
In contrast, aren't the EURO6 compliant modern diesels actually quite clean running?
Volkswagen say they are so it must be true.

To be honest I don't know and it's harsh, but I don't care. The reason for getting an electric car is purely selfish. I hope it will save me money.

Own a 2 stroke dirt bike which I ride through the countryside so I am hardly an eco warrior.
Old 22-11-17, 12:00 PM   #138
ophic
Mega Poster

I was just kinda wondering why diesel/electric hybrids don't seem to exist - hybrids all seem to use petrol.

Diesel has a bad green rep lately but the recent models are supposedly OK. Is it just for "green" credibility?
Old 22-11-17, 12:08 PM   #139
Heorot

Probably down to weight. Diesel engines, like for like power, are much heavier than petrol engines and you already have the weight of the batteries in the car.

Honda 125 CG blown engine Gone to the great mechanic in the sky
Naked SV650 K3 in Silver
Heorot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-17, 12:54 PM   #140
NTECUK
Mega Poster

If the French can generate power by nuclear means.
Are we so bad in this country we have lost any expertise in this field.
Grab the nettle and man up UK.
Buy and invest in your home country