SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 02-08-17, 02:46 PM   #51
Bibio
Mega Poster

Default Re: Electric Cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by svrich_02 View Post

The longest I've travelled was a 256 mile round trip to Richmond in Yorkshire, which used 4 (2 there and 2 back) motorway stops and cost me the grand total of £24.
yes but what did you spend on food/coffee while you waited.

this is where leccy cars fall down. people dont want to wait or cant. perfect government tool to boost retail sales.

so what we will get is massive charging parks in retail environments. the gov and retail sector must be rubbing their hands.
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-17, 02:58 PM   #52
svrich_02

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bibio View Post
yes but what did you spend on food/coffee while you waited.

this is where leccy cars fall down. people dont want to wait or cant. perfect government tool to boost retail sales.

so what we will get is massive charging parks in retail environments. the gov and retail sector must be rubbing their hands.
Agreed, at the moment they're not for everyone. I'm not getting into the whole government plans etc, I'm just giving my experience of living with electric, which L3nny asked about in his first post

No one is forcing me to buy anything while I wait, I could just sit there or just stretch my legs. If I'm going on a long journey then I plan my stops. I knew what I was buying and knew the current restrictions in EV ownership.
Old 02-08-17, 05:50 PM   #53
Red ones
Mega Poster

This type of thread irritates me. People love trying to solve an existing problem by tweaking the existing system.

100 years ago people were trying to solve a problem that in 15 years London was going to disappear under horse poo.

You hit the nail on the head with the betamax / Blu-ray analogy. Both will die. Streaming solves the problems inherent in both.

Why fix the car fuel problem? Cars will change being recognition and the government is already behind the curve. 2040? Volvo will make no cars that will be affected by 2020!
Red ones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-17, 06:09 PM   #54
Bibio
Mega Poster

speaking of betamax and vhs give me an idea on how to solve the charging issue.

'cassette' exchange. you would pull up to a charging point stick your debit/credit card in the charging point would then read how full your battery cassette is at which point it will calculate how much it will take to charge to full state again and charge the card at which point an automated system will drop the battery cassette from under the car and stick a nice fully charged one in and off you go.

the problem with this.. every manufacturer of cars will have to adhere to a standard of the battery cassette.
Old 02-08-17, 06:24 PM   #55
PyroUK
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bibio View Post
speaking of betamax and vhs give me an idea on how to solve the charging issue.

'cassette' exchange. you would pull up to a charging point stick your debit/credit card in the charging point would then read how full your battery cassette is at which point it will calculate how much it will take to charge to full state again and charge the card at which point an automated system will drop the battery cassette from under the car and stick a nice fully charged one in and off you go.

the problem with this.. every manufacturer of cars will have to adhere to a standard of the battery cassette.
Ideal, similar to calor gas tanks for BBQs.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
Old 02-08-17, 06:26 PM   #56
PyroUK
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red ones View Post
You hit the nail on the head with the betamax / Blu-ray analogy. Both will die. Streaming solves the problems inherent in both.
Yes, serious heavy investment should be made in to teleportation technology thus leaving fossil fuels to be used solely for Motorsport and trackdays.

Everyone wins

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
Old 02-08-17, 06:47 PM   #57
Red ones
Mega Poster

People generally vastly over estimate the impact of technology over the short term and then hugely under estimate on the long term.
He have all the constituents to resolve a lot of the current problems with the exception of political will to enable it.

Why own a car with the associated running costs, fuel, insurance, maintenance, depreciation? How much does that cost you? What do you have to earn to be able to pay that? How many hours do you have to work to pay for the thing that gets you to work to do a job you hate that you only do to pay for the car? What percentage of the day do you actually use the car?
Think of Uber with autonomous self charging cars. Think of video conferencing, hot desking, cloud storage. Think of internet shopping and delivery services.

It's this so very far from local employment, and life before the car? Think of a technologically advanced version of life many years ago?
Red ones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-17, 08:04 PM   #58
Bibio
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red ones View Post

Why own a car with the associated running costs, fuel, insurance, maintenance, depreciation? How much does that cost you? What do you have to earn to be able to pay that? How many hours do you have to work to pay for the thing that gets you to work to do a job you hate that you only do to pay for the car? What percentage of the day do you actually use the car?
Think of Uber with autonomous self charging cars. Think of video conferencing, hot desking, cloud storage. Think of internet shopping and delivery services.
that sounds like something out of trainspotting
Old 02-08-17, 09:40 PM   #59
L3nny
Mega Poster

The cost of that 256 mile trip is more than I expected. On a motorway run I'll get about 600 miles from a tank of diesel which costs about £65. I get half that economy on my commute which is normally done at a spirited pace though and I imagine home charging is a lot cheaper than a fast charge at a service station.
Thanks for the useful info. This thread was starting to go a bit awry.

Last edited by L3nny; 02-08-17 at 09:41 PM.
L3nny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-17, 07:19 AM   #60
svrich_02

Quote:
Originally Posted by L3nny View Post
The cost of that 256 mile trip is more than I expected. On a motorway run I'll get about 600 miles from a tank of diesel which costs about £65. I get half that economy on my commute which is normally done at a spirited pace though and I imagine home charging is a lot cheaper than a fast charge at a service station.
Thanks for the useful info. This thread was starting to go a bit awry.
No problem L3nny, it did used to be free but then Electric Highway decided to charge for a charge LOL. They have since changed this so its a £3 connection fee then 17p a unit so has dropped the price down. There are still plenty of free chargers about but these aren't rapids.

Most of my charging does take place at home with no increase to my monthly DD. The new Zoe's however do have better range now and although advertised as 250, in the real world people are getting around 180 to 200 miles from a charge.