SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 14-06-06, 01:34 AM   #1
curium

Default close call

http://media.nothingtoxic.com/upload...b0fe07f187.wmv
Old 14-06-06, 06:11 AM   #2
RingDing

Nasty crash and a lucky chap. But how tabloidy is the commentry? 205mph from a supersport 600? I don't think so matey!

3x Honda C110 - phut-phut-phut
KTM Duke 690 - brum-braaaaaaa!!!!!
BSA C25 - brum-braa-braa
RD350LC Ring-ding-phut-clatter-££££££
RingDing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-06, 10:32 AM   #3
creamerybutter

Remeber seeing footage at the time. He was so close to having a face full of bike
Old 14-06-06, 01:52 PM   #4
coombest

This footage is still used by Racesafe on their marshal's training days.

The point being that the incident had not finished when Kellner landed, with the bike having clubbed his helmet...
The oil on the track was on the racing line and more riders falling off was pretty much inevitable.
The first person to jump down into the 'firing line' was the man you see in white - a medic. He went trackside without the 'go ahead' from the marshals and on the footage narrowly misses being hit straight on by a flying bike...

The commentator on the footage states that there were 7 bikes down and "nobody was seriously injured."

It would be more accurete to say that no riders were seriously injured, as that medic did get hit by a bike. I can't remember if he just broke bones, etc. or if it was more serious but he left the circuit in an ambulance.

However - back to the point of the post - indeed Christian Kellner was very lucky! The bike actually hit his helmet, leaving a mark on it!
Old 14-06-06, 06:49 PM   #5
lynw

Prefer the version I posted up last year. Just had music background and no annoying commentry :P

But yes very lucky guy.
Old 14-06-06, 07:12 PM   #6
Quiff Wichard
Mega Poster

yea I recall that one lynne I still got it....

I think a marshall was killed this year at Oulton Park in an accident!
Old 14-06-06, 07:52 PM   #7
creamerybutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by coombest
It would be more accurete to say that no riders were seriously injured, as that medic did get hit by a bike. I can't remember if he just broke bones, etc. or if it was more serious but he left the circuit in an ambulance.
Blimey they didn't mention that at the time is the MCN IIRC.
Old 14-06-06, 09:16 PM   #8
coombest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quiff Wichard
I think a marshall was killed this year at Oulton Park in an accident!
Unfortunately, this is true...

Paul Leonard, who was one of the first members of Racesafe Marshalling Association, was killed in a practice session on an MCRCB test day when a Yamaha R1 rider competing in one of the Wirral 100 club sessions lost control under braking at the first section of Lodge corner. The bike slid and hit the grass which caused it to barrel roll and land on Paul, killing him instantly.
The Oulton Park round of the British Superbike Championship took place the following week and I was asked to marshal on the exit of Lodge corner, as many of the locals and close friends of Paul understandably did not want to marshal there.
There was a slow track inspection on the Sunday morning of the BSB meet with all marshals stood trackside, as opposed to the usual where we're in our working positions. Black flags were also shown from every flag post along with the number board showing Paul's Racesafe membership number. All the officials also got out of the safety cars where the incident happened and paid their respects for a few moments. It was a very moving thing and many of us marshals found ourselves with lumps in our throats. It really brought hme just how dangerous what we do is.

The Wirral 100 club also had a minutes silence on the grid of the first race, the day after the incident.

Here is the MCRCB statement relating to the incident.

There has been a Memorial Fund set up, with the proceeds going to his wife and two children. If anyone is interested, this can be found on the Racesafe website.

RIP Paul.
Old 14-06-06, 10:02 PM   #9
Rog

amazing vid although as has been mentioned 205mph!! yeh ok

also, I love American pronunciation, what the hell is "ass fault" must be a very special surfacing
Old 14-06-06, 10:04 PM   #10
creamerybutter

You don't really think the marshals as being in the line of fire as it were just goes to show the risk they take to keep event going. Sad News.